“Overnight stop - reasonable” 3 of 5 stars

Del Monte Pines
2.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   1298 Munras Avenue, Monterey, CA 93940   |
Ranked #11 of 12 Monterey B&B and Inns
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Overnight stop - reasonable”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2012

This was just an overnight stop, the owner was friendly and chatty.
The room was clean and comfortable, but facilities are limited.
Breakfast was good but simple but you had to take it back to your room, there is no dining area.
The hotel is located on a main road just outside of Monterey, there appears to be no restaurants close at hand but hidden behind the trees opposite is a large shopping complex with several eateries.
This hotel is good value for money overall although I would agree with other reviews about the 15% service charge

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Fresno, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2012

During a mothers day trip to monterey, we stayed 1 night at this low cost motel for 1 night, or so we thought. The room should have been 35.00 +10% tax and a1.00 for a city fee. The owner who did not once smiled or greeted me tacked on another 15.00 charge for a (service fee he said). I instantly was thrown off by the additional fee. He proceeded to add up the numbers by writing them out.. (more wierd).. he wrote down my cc number that he should have already had ( wierd) at this point i felt so out of place and wierded out i asked to pay cash and he said no no it's done no need. he gave me a charge reciept from my cc for 54.50, alot higher than it should have been!
we proceeded to our room, the room was as it really should be for 35.00 but not for 54.50 that i paid. There was no mattress pad on the bed which was stained tremendously. when we shook out the blankets dust literally flew all over the room!.. The room was kept mildy cool by an old type cooler in the wall. the floor was so dirty that our socks were dark brown from walking on them. (The breakfast) consisted of safe way bought muffins cut into 4's and watered down orange juice. AFTER LEAVING the worst thing out of the entire trip happened... my debit card stopped working.. I immediately thought back to when he was writing down my card number... I immediately drove back from the new hotel we were staying at to del monte pines and insisted on a full reciept including the folio for which he listed the 15.00 (service charge)... he first said no I cannot do that for you. He then asked me to stand to the side while he helped another guest needing to check in. I immediately noticed he did go over any service charge added to the bill! I get back up to the counter and hesays why do I need the reciept which is my right to have! after telling him it was needed for my records he rudely told me NO I have you your cc reciept thats all your getting... i told him he needed to give me my full reciept immediately or I would call the police. .He gave me a copy but only HALF OF IT! I insisted he give me the rest and he said no that's enough for you.. I stepped outside called the police and asked for an officer to come out.. during this time he knocked on the window and motioned me to come in where he gave me the other half of the reciept.. i left but I regret no having the officer out still. I am now in the process of figuring out if he had the right to charge me the extra 15.00.. I will update this as soon as I find out. I wish I would have trusted my gut and never stayed, but I might not have been able to find out if he is a crook and all the people he has scammed.. stay tuned to this i will update.

Room Tip: For a good price and indoor pool try quality inn on munras ave.. the staff is excellent!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Willits, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2012

It looks good from the outside. The towels were old and just didn't smell that good. I had taken a chance on this place and never again. The advertised free wifi was there but the signal was so low you couldn't connect. I asked for a wake up call and was told the phone was not working. So, all I can say is that the bed was so bad on my back that I did not need a wake up because I was awake most of the night. Next time I will spend more and wake up without a sore back.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2012

There was a hidden fee of an extra $15 per night. I asked for a pillow around 10pm to replace the stained up stinky pillow in my room only to be greeted by the owner, who felt the need to be rude as possible. The room had crusty towls and human waste in the toilet. Pipes made loud noises 3am-5am. The fridge also had a bag of food that was spoiled. All employees and owner were rude. This will be the first and last time I ever stay here again. THIS PLACE IS AWEFUL!!!

• Stayed February 2012
West Lafayette
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2012

There was a mixup with Expedia regarding our reservation. Apparently Expedia booked the room twice without informing us and then refused to return the full amount of one room. Damn you Expedia!

The service at this hotel was not bad for the price we got ($66 incl. tax). It is a small hotel with about 40 rooms. The rooms are good enough for the casual traveler who wants to crash for the night. The breakfast was a muffin and orange juice.

Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
San Jose, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2012

Rated two stars but exceeded what I expected from a 2 star. Unlike my last July review of Hotel Abrego which should not have a 3 star rating with there bad service and my room which had no heat. Thank you Del Monte Pines for good friendly clean service

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
Chico, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2011

My girlfriend and I were looking to get away for her hirthday We found this hotel and figured we'd give it a try. When we pulled back the sheets we found dried blood. We told the manager we would like a different room. When he comes in and sees the sheets pulled back he starts yelling at us saying we ruined the room and to deal with the stain since we stain our clothes all the time and still wear them. We did not know where the blood came from or what kind of diseases could have existed on it. He then starts getting mad at my girlfriend to the point where she walks out the door. The manager starts throwing out all these excuses for his behavior. He also told me he would not refund the room. I tell him to change the sheets then to apologize to my girlfriend, which he does by going out to my car and banging on my window to get her attention. By now she's in tears and wants him to go away. We ended up just leaving because the manager was being a total you know what. We are never going to stay here again! GO TO A DIFFERENT HOTEL! It's falling apart and the lobby stinks.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Del Monte Pines? Share your experiences!