“Charming little Hotel!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #14 of 53 Hotels in Monterey
Collierville, Tennessee
“Charming little Hotel!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

We had a wonderful stay for just one night in Monterey on out way down Highway 1. The hotel was cute, service was great thank s to Sharon! What a great host - let us check in early, good recommendations on things to do, restaurants, etc, even let us borrow a couple jackets as the evening weather turned a little nippy! Great breakfast, she makes awesome muffins and oatmeal with all the fixins! Would definitely go back should we be heading that way on our travels! Thanks Sharon for making our stay so wonderful!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Sharon C, Manager at Villa Franca Inn, responded to this review, August 11, 2014
I've only been managing Villa Franca Inn (formerly El Dorado Inn) since June 8, 2013...in that time, I've met some of the nicest folks from all over the world.! You have left a lovely memory of your visit in my heart...and am very grateful for opportunity to show you a bit of what America is like, not the glitzy part or the parts you see on the news...simply the average, good-hearted, hard-working segment of our countries people.. Some have commented that in all their travels in our country, this was the first homemade breakfast they had experienced..I'm sorry if that has been your experience and will continue to do my best to see that it doesn't happen here! Thank you for coming and staying with us...it was a pleasure to serve you!

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

I found this hotel through Tripadvisor. I was looking for a reasonably priced hotel within the Monterey Penisula and was overwhelmed by the choices and the locations. Learning that Monterey is a good central point for seeing the area, I began to search Tripadvisor. I happened upon this inn and spoke with Sharon, the office manager, about the location, etc. Her confirmation email was hand typed - can you believe that and ended "it will be my pleasure to make you breakfast." I was a little disappointed that it was not a bed and breakfast but it was clean, our room was large and the location was walkable to the Pier. Because of its size, breakfast was on a table in the same small room as the reservation office. It was, non the less, fresh and tasty and the weather was warm enough to eat outside. I agree - it is not a 5 star hotel with tons of amenities but it is clean, well located and great value for the area. One would think that Sharon is the owner, the personal attention she gives, as if you were coming into her home.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Sharon C, Manager at Villa Franca Inn, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago
Thank you for taking the time and effort to write a review about us...I happen to love TripAdvisor and the freedom it give all of us to compare and look for what we need. Monterey, (in my estimation) is more than just a spot to spend a night..it's a destination..and can be an event if you are able to garner the right information and a few insights. That's part of what we do here at Vill Franca Inn..we help you see our lovely town from a locals perspective...that way, your stay can become memorable and be part of your own personal story...Thank you also for considering us a gem..we might not be the traditional definition of a bed and breakfast...but we consider ourselves to be a working-class B & B...We can't serve you breakfast in bed or have a lovely dining room for you to eat your homemade muffins in...but we can still give your the best we have and do it with a smile that's sincere..Fortunately...you picked up on that and that blesses us too! Come anytime..We all work as if we 'own' this inn...That's what personal service is all about...Kindest regards, Sharon
Santa Clarita, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

This is not a five star hotel with concierge, valet parking and a spa. But I didn't think it would be. It IS however, a super clean, well maintained and comfortable motel run by a very personable woman who clearly cares about her guests. My husband, daughter and I stayed for two nights over the 4th of July holiday and I was very impressed. The rooms have been recently updated, the beds are extremely comfortable and the bathrooms very nice. On top of that Sharon, the manager, provides a free breakfast that is better than average and that takes hard work on her part. She makes homemade muffins and oatmeal and puts out hard boiled eggs and other goodies. Its very homey thanks to her. Also when I first reserved the room she told me one price but then called me back to let me know that it was actually cheaper. Who does that? When we arrived she was in the process of figuring out how to get a phone back to a guest that had left it in a room. She was very concerned with the guest not having her property, which impressed me. Oh and they have free Wi-fi.

I would recommend this place highly and we plan on staying here again. Its a lovely motel with lovely staff!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Sharon C, Manager at Villa Franca Inn, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago
I'm so glad you didn't expect us to be a 5-star resort!. In a town our size with the ocean/coastline, great food and mild temperatures, of course you have a number of choices for lodgings. Villa Franca inn fills a specific need in this area..we are small by some standards (15 rooms), have only 4 employees, including me and is owned by a local family, who have been in business in this community for more than 50 years! We choose to treat guests the way we expect to be treated when we are traveling on our vacations...AND we give value for the price we charge..you might find a less expensive stay somewhere else...but it would be hard to get a better value! Thanks for sharing your experience with us...We really appreciate your stay with us and hope you come back again someday...Blessings, Sharon
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

Not worth more than $100/night and I have stayed at a lot of hotels of varying ratings over the years. We arrived to bikies in the driveway. The country cottage feeling of the exterior is met with very tired rooms. The minimal amount has been spent in 30 years and we could hear the pele n the room above walking. Thankfully they didn't stay up late or party. The rooms are clean but dated and cramped, the bathroom smelt mouldy. Sharon was very lovely and made a huge effort to be welcoming but the rooms are too worn thin for the price.

Room Tip: Not room 6 which is next to the road as we could hear the noise of the street through the windows
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Sharon C, Manager at Villa Franca Inn, responded to this review, July 4, 2014
In responding to your comments, I needed to go back and reevaluate room 6. I measured the room first of all. The main room has two queen beds (new as of 8 months ago), a dresser, night stands, flat-screen TV, new microwave and refrigerator. With all that, the room might seem small, but is actually measures 12’ x 16”, minus the entry to the bathroom and the closet. The bathroom has new shower, toilet, sink and fixtures, plus new plumbing and new window and measures 6’ x 8’. Everything has been replaced (except for the dressers and nightstands), in the past eight months. Our building was originally built in the early 50’s and upgrading without obvious ‘new’ vs ‘old’ styles has been important to us. We’ve painted each room, put in new doors, crown molding and baseboards, etc. I also had the odor in the bathroom checked out…no mold or mildew or inappropriate odor.
As for the street noise, it’s the normal sounds of daily life in a beach community. The trash is picked up at 5 am by the city twice a week, the street cleaners come by early once in awhile also. You can hear the sea lions barking in the bay and the seagulls are always around too. I do have complimentary earplugs sitting on the counter in my office for anyone who is sensitive to noise. The floor/ceiling in room 6 was soundproofed some time back, but doesn’t totally cancel out the sounds of someone walking overhead.
The guests, who had the Harley motorcycles, were from Germany. They were three gentlemen who were traveling the West Coast on vacation. We welcomed them, as we would any guest who is respectful of our Inn and our guests. If that appears to be a negative image for some, it’s not our intention, but neither will we be changing that policy. The fact that they felt comfortable leaving their motorcycles in our lot overnight, unguarded, indicates the relative safety of our area.
I’m sorry you were so displeased in your nights stay with us; we work hard to try and have the rooms clean, comfortable and pleasant. Best regards, Sharon-Innkeeper
Alta Loma, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

My family would like to thank the El Dorado Inn for being so understanding. We booked a room to celebrate our Anniversary as we started up the coast to celebrate our two oldest grandsons graduations!. A week before we were to leave on vacation ( my husband is retired and I've been teaching 44 years) we got word my 89 year old mother was in the hospital. I quickly cancelled all reservations. For some reason our reservation for El Dorado Inn was pending? My beautiful mother passed away. We were charged for the night stay in Monterey. With a few phone calls the matter was resolved. Thank you so much for understanding our situation. I highly recommend this cute little hotel if you are ever in Monterey.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Sharon C, Manager at Villa Franca Inn, responded to this review, July 16, 2014
Thank you! I've met so many really wonderful people this past year as the manager of the inn.
My vision for our little place, is that it will be clean, warm/friendly, and a good place to come and just relax. Though we aren't a full bed and breakfast, the homemade breakfast and casual, friendly atmosphere hopefully helps us meet that goal. We aren't a 5 star bed and breakfast, we're more a working-class oasis from all the hustle and bustle that comes with travel. Come again anytime...it was a real pleasure to meet you!
Mandeville, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2014

First, let me say that Ms Sharon is amazing! Her delicious muffins in the morning are a great start to the day! We (family of 4) stayed for a week and it was truly our home away from home. Ms Sharon told us where to eat, where to wash clothes, what is the best times to visit, everything! The rooms were recently remodeled, carpets were clean and the bathroom had been updated. (Carpets did not look dirty, but service men were arriving the day we checked out in order to shampoo then again). No AC, but that doesn't matter bc the cool Monterey air cooled the room comfortably. It was a safe place to stay (leave your windows open all day). The beds were comfortable and pillows were soft. My girls called Ms Sharon their "Grammy away from home". Her personal stories shared, laughing, and dedication to her job was shining through. I would definately go back and stay here again! You can absolutely see the love and care that goes into this place.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Sharon C, Manager at Villa Franca Inn, responded to this review, June 27, 2014
Thank you so much for coming to our little inn and leaving such a wonderful gift of yourselves with us. My granddaughter wrote Zoe loves Timmy on your rock and we put it back in the garden as lasting memory of your visit...come agina anytime and visit...blessings, Sharon and Elvira
Ozona, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2014

We stayed one night and the lady at the desk (manager/owner?) was very friendly and helpful. She made an amazing homemade breakfast, and I haven't stopped thinking about her muffins! I may have to ask for the recipe! The room was clean and comfortable, with a recently updated bathroom. The beds were comfortable, too. What more could you ask for! If we ever find ourselves in the area, I will DEFINITELY stay there again.

Room Tip: Some rooms only have a shower, but a few have tubs.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Villa Franca Inn? Share your experiences!