“Needs refurbishment, poor value for money” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
A Breakfast To Remember
Ranked #10 of 53 Hotels in Monterey
Sydney, Australia
“Needs refurbishment, poor value for money”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

Not worth more than $100/night and I have stayed at a lot of hotels of varying ratings over the years. We arrived to bikies in the driveway. The country cottage feeling of the exterior is met with very tired rooms. The minimal amount has been spent in 30 years and we could hear the pele n the room above walking. Thankfully they didn't stay up late or party. The rooms are clean but dated and cramped, the bathroom smelt mouldy. Sharon was very lovely and made a huge effort to be welcoming but the rooms are too worn thin for the price.

Room Tip: Not room 6 which is next to the road as we could hear the noise of the street through the windows
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Sharon C, Manager at Villa Franca Inn, responded to this review, July 4, 2014
In responding to your comments, I needed to go back and reevaluate room 6. I measured the room first of all. The main room has two queen beds (new as of 8 months ago), a dresser, night stands, flat-screen TV, new microwave and refrigerator. With all that, the room might seem small, but is actually measures 12’ x 16”, minus the entry to the bathroom and the closet. The bathroom has new shower, toilet, sink and fixtures, plus new plumbing and new window and measures 6’ x 8’. Everything has been replaced (except for the dressers and nightstands), in the past eight months. Our building was originally built in the early 50’s and upgrading without obvious ‘new’ vs ‘old’ styles has been important to us. We’ve painted each room, put in new doors, crown molding and baseboards, etc. I also had the odor in the bathroom checked out…no mold or mildew or inappropriate odor.
As for the street noise, it’s the normal sounds of daily life in a beach community. The trash is picked up at 5 am by the city twice a week, the street cleaners come by early once in awhile also. You can hear the sea lions barking in the bay and the seagulls are always around too. I do have complimentary earplugs sitting on the counter in my office for anyone who is sensitive to noise. The floor/ceiling in room 6 was soundproofed some time back, but doesn’t totally cancel out the sounds of someone walking overhead.
The guests, who had the Harley motorcycles, were from Germany. They were three gentlemen who were traveling the West Coast on vacation. We welcomed them, as we would any guest who is respectful of our Inn and our guests. If that appears to be a negative image for some, it’s not our intention, but neither will we be changing that policy. The fact that they felt comfortable leaving their motorcycles in our lot overnight, unguarded, indicates the relative safety of our area.
I’m sorry you were so displeased in your nights stay with us; we work hard to try and have the rooms clean, comfortable and pleasant. Best regards, Sharon-Innkeeper

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Alta Loma, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

My family would like to thank the El Dorado Inn for being so understanding. We booked a room to celebrate our Anniversary as we started up the coast to celebrate our two oldest grandsons graduations!. A week before we were to leave on vacation ( my husband is retired and I've been teaching 44 years) we got word my 89 year old mother was in the hospital. I quickly cancelled all reservations. For some reason our reservation for El Dorado Inn was pending? My beautiful mother passed away. We were charged for the night stay in Monterey. With a few phone calls the matter was resolved. Thank you so much for understanding our situation. I highly recommend this cute little hotel if you are ever in Monterey.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Sharon C, Manager at Villa Franca Inn, responded to this review, July 16, 2014
Thank you! I've met so many really wonderful people this past year as the manager of the inn.
My vision for our little place, is that it will be clean, warm/friendly, and a good place to come and just relax. Though we aren't a full bed and breakfast, the homemade breakfast and casual, friendly atmosphere hopefully helps us meet that goal. We aren't a 5 star bed and breakfast, we're more a working-class oasis from all the hustle and bustle that comes with travel. Come again anytime...it was a real pleasure to meet you!
Mandeville, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2014

First, let me say that Ms Sharon is amazing! Her delicious muffins in the morning are a great start to the day! We (family of 4) stayed for a week and it was truly our home away from home. Ms Sharon told us where to eat, where to wash clothes, what is the best times to visit, everything! The rooms were recently remodeled, carpets were clean and the bathroom had been updated. (Carpets did not look dirty, but service men were arriving the day we checked out in order to shampoo then again). No AC, but that doesn't matter bc the cool Monterey air cooled the room comfortably. It was a safe place to stay (leave your windows open all day). The beds were comfortable and pillows were soft. My girls called Ms Sharon their "Grammy away from home". Her personal stories shared, laughing, and dedication to her job was shining through. I would definately go back and stay here again! You can absolutely see the love and care that goes into this place.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Sharon C, Manager at Villa Franca Inn, responded to this review, June 27, 2014
Thank you so much for coming to our little inn and leaving such a wonderful gift of yourselves with us. My granddaughter wrote Zoe loves Timmy on your rock and we put it back in the garden as lasting memory of your visit...come agina anytime and visit...blessings, Sharon and Elvira
Ozona, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2014

We stayed one night and the lady at the desk (manager/owner?) was very friendly and helpful. She made an amazing homemade breakfast, and I haven't stopped thinking about her muffins! I may have to ask for the recipe! The room was clean and comfortable, with a recently updated bathroom. The beds were comfortable, too. What more could you ask for! If we ever find ourselves in the area, I will DEFINITELY stay there again.

Room Tip: Some rooms only have a shower, but a few have tubs.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Larne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014 via mobile

We arrived in Monterey not having pre-booked and ended up in this little gem! Sharon couldn't have been more helpful, we had a problem with our hire car and she insisted we use her own phone to call the hire company. The room was very clean and after a good nights sleep the breakfast was an unexpected bonus, personally prepared by Sharon, muffins, oatmeal, coffee and freshly cut fruit. The location of the inn ticks another box as it is less than a 10 minute walk to the town centre. Highly recommended"

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Modesto, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2014

My daughter and I met my sister and her friend from Oklahoma and shared a room that was ample for all 4 of us. The hostess, Sharon, was so down to earth as well as an excellent cook. We all loved her blueberry/banana muffins. She provided such healthy, nutritional foods for breakfast. We especially enjoyed the fire log in our room. I'm planning on booking a room at this place the next time I come to Monterey.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2014

The hospitality is over the top! Best breakfast, steel cut oatmeal and home baked muffins. We had a cozy room with a fireplace. Perfect location, close to everything! Highly recommended! I really loved the friendliness of the staff, specifically Sharon, she really makes a difference in your stay, she is so helpful about the area attractions and very nice!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family

Been to Villa Franca Inn? Share your experiences!