“Urine-soaked mattress was covered up with clean sheets” 1 of 5 stars

Padre Oaks
1.5 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   1278 Munras Avenue, Monterey, CA 93940   |
Ranked #9 of 13 Monterey B&B and Inns
Oklahoma, United States
“Urine-soaked mattress was covered up with clean sheets”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012

At first we were very pleased with the cottage-feel of this motel. But after returning to our room very late, after the office closed, we discovered the someone from a previous stay had wet the bed and the mattress had not been changed, but just covered with clean sheets. We discovered it because my son laid on the bed to go to sleep and started complaining of the bed feeling wet. No one was in the office at that hour, so we moved him to another bed in the room, and asked at the office the next morning if we could get a discount on the room. The lady was extremely rude and began accusing my son, age 16, of wetting the bed himself! We chose the motel due to it's AAA double-diamond rating, but I would say it is definitely not worth it. The "continental breakfast" was also very minimal, no coffee available, and the ice machine does not work. Don't spend your money here; there are plenty of other nice motels on this street.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

94 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Wildomar, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2012

HOTEL COUPONS.COM which prints discount brochures available thru out CA. (and the US) had a coupon for this motel, which was valid until 5/15/12. Went there on 5/2/12, as early as 10 AM and they refused to honor. Stated a new brochure was coming out, etc etc. The brochure is for March-May 2012 and even when I pointed out that it stated valid until 5/15/12, she refused to honor the $33.99 price saying cost was $45.00 for a nightly room. Have complained to the publisher (which is in Florida) and Northern California AAA, as their symbol is on the ad and the frontage sign of the motel. So far no response from either entity. Many similiar motels on same block suggest do not patronize this one. A Ramada coupon was honored down the block at a Ramada Motel (from the same brochure, for $45.00).

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Santa Rosa, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2012

Just stayed there a couple of nights. Room was ok but the staff is extremely rude and unfriendly! The reception lady treats the guests like dirt. They are real crooks too looking for any reason to over charge you. This place should not even be in business. Stay away from it!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2012

Looking through the postings, I was kind of surprised to see some mixed reviews for Padre Oaks.

We have been coming to Padre Oaks for years, for a quick weekend escape from San Francisco or along with visiting family/friends - and have never been disappointed!

It's a small, family-run motel with fair rates.
Rooms are spacious, situated around a courtyard and removed far enough from the road for quiet nights, perfect for a good night sleep after a long day exploring Big Sur or hiking in Carmel Valley ...

Location is convenient for both Highway 1 and downtown Monterey
- with a Whole Foods Market located just across the street,
a very convenient stop to grab healthy breakfast and/or to stock up on picnic needs,
before taking off for the day down the coast or in the valley ...
And for very early mornings there is also a Starbucks.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Monterey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2012

First of all, I arrive to the front desk the gentleman couldn't find my reservation so, he called to his wife I guess both are the manager and she was very rude! we don't have your reservation , so what you can do for me...I picked the phone before she seems like she wasn't doing anything. i called my friend to confirm my reservation and the lady told go outside and talk in your phone I wasn't talking loud well the lady go outside your are interrupting and I asked to who well if someone in the phone and i told her I need to called and confirm my reservation go outside and called she really kit me out of the reception..So, Monday early am thinking to write a big complaint to the City of Monterey...It's not acceptable! I told her your are very rude she answered me I don't care wow!
Finally, I have a nice hospitality in Knights Inn few blocks like if you go back to take 101 north or 1 south. Also, a nice Hindus couples with a nice smile the give a good deals for 7 nights Please, Save your money and look for other hotels like knights Inn nice and clean hotels nice room.

Room Tip: Nice rooms and high speed internet hbo channels in a nice hotel knights Inn.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Newton, Iowa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2012

Not much is good about padre oaks. Pillows are terrible, blankets are thin, staff is rude, parking is aweful, walls are thin, heater is terrible, no ac, internet is slow, breakfast is non exsistant, no complimentary shampoo. Save your time and money and stay at another hotel.

Room Tip: yes do not rent a room here
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Copperopolis, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2012

Small hotel with a small parking lot. The staff at check in was really nice. We didn't have a reservation, just took a drive to see where it led us and needed a cheap place to stay overnight. I paid under $55 for the room on a weeknight and all I wanted was safe and clean which is what we got. There is a pool and the outdoor landscaping has a cottagey feel. The beds were comfortable, bedding and room in general was clean, the room had a mini-fridge and microwave; shower/bathroom was clean (the shower stall still had evidence of a good scrubbing with Comet).

I would have given this place a 5 out of 5, but it only gets a 4 because the carpets looked clean, but later figured out I should have been wearing my flip-flops around the room. Our feet got dirty from the carpet. That probably might freak some people out, but I took it in stride remembering how little I paid for the room.

Not for couples wanting a romantic getaway but good for people on a budget. It's a short drive from the Wharf or aquarium and across the street from a large shopping center.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family

Been to Padre Oaks? Share your experiences!