“Great value, clean and good location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Inn By The Bay Monterey

Save Saved
You added Inn By The Bay Monterey to your Saves list
Inn By The Bay Monterey
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   936 Munras Avenue, Monterey, CA 93940 (Formerly El Adobe Inn)   |
Ranked #29 of 53 hotels in Monterey
“Great value, clean and good location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012 via mobile

We got to Monterey late in the day, around 9pm and headed to this street, which is literally one motel after another. El Adobe has free WiFi and parking so we pulled in and got a great low rate for two nights. Room was big, had a fridge, tv and en suite. It was a notch above basic and clean - I'd recommend to others like us who literally just want somewhere safe and clean to sleep... With free WiFi!

• Stayed September 2012

167 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
norfolk
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012 via mobile

I did not stay here. I know the area and its located on a safe street near Del Monte Center and its quaint and cute. I made reservations because I wanted a fun place to stay while the movers were packing up our house. I read over the website to check the pet policy and all that was stated was that there would be a pet fee of $15/ night. I read some strange reviews on tripadvisor ( I always check reviews) about the pet policies that are not displayed on the web. I called to check and they do not allow pets in the room by themselves. I understand if they need to be crated, but not left alone? At all? I cancelled my reservations. I didn't check about the others things like "charging double pet fees if the dog is larger" or that you "must cross a busy highway to let your dog do its business" or that they charge extra if your pet "does it business too close to the hotel" so if you have a pet, I would call to clarify these rules. If you play a round of golf, you'll have to bring Fido with you as well as any restaurant or the Aquarium too. It may be a great deal but plan to board your dog at a kennel if you want to go anywhere. And ps, according to the other reviews, I wouldn't use the hot tub!!!

• Stayed October 2012
hema p, General Manager at Inn By The Bay Monterey, responded to this review, October 19, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. I am the new general manager of the Inn and I will use your review to better inform our guests of our pet policies.

The following is our new policy:
There is a $15 dollar fee per pet per night.
The pet must remain with you at all times simply due to the fact that pets often bark or meow when they miss their owners and this results in noise complaints from other guests.

Thank you for your review and I will ensure we notify our future customers.

Nisha
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

I was a little concerned after reading mixed reviews, but didn't need to be. Room was great, fridge, microwave, comfortable King Bed, there is no aircon, but you didn't need it, they provided a fan which was adequate. Breakfast was basic, but fine for us, toast, coffee, bagels, cakes. We got a bargain at $59 pn. We could walk to downtown in 10 min, we also walked to Fisherman's Wharf and Cannery Row but that is a fair distance if you're not a walker, ok for medium fitness level.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
ABC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

Stayed for only one night. Staff was friendly, rooms were comfy (equipped with fridge and flatscreen TV) and the breakfast is o.k, comes with sweet pastry, coffee etc. There's lots of parking space and it's not far from the harbor.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Calgary
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

Stayed for 3 night while passing though Monterey and Carmel.Was clean and owners were friendly.Maids did a great job.You are a 5 min. car ride from the wharf which is great.Paid $100 a night they are pet friendly for $15 which is good.The only complaint I have is the beds were very bad for the back.Also there is no A/C which well it was not too hot when we were there but hot days could be a problem.

Room Tip: Be prepared for a back ache
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
manchester england
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

me my wife and my brother and his wife stayed here on the 5th and 6th of august, this is our second time staying at the el adobe (we stayed here in 2006) we found the rooms clean and comfortable, if a little small, and the motel is in a convienient location for down town monterey,i thought the rooms were a little pricey for a sunday monday stay at $220 but i dont know if thats average for monterey in a basic motel, the indian lady that owns the place is very friendly and polite, so yes if clean basic accommodation is what your after then this place wont dissapoint.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Westport, Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

I have never experienced such awful hotel service.
I booked two nights for July back in April. When it got closer to the time I sent an e-mail to the hotel to confirm our booking since I had not received a confirmation e-mail. I received no response.
I tried to log onto their website to confirm our booking, but with no luck. I them submitted a request for confirmation through their website, again no response.
Three days before we were due to arrive I e-mailed to cancel our reservation (I also submitted it through their website) even though it felt like I was dealing with a hotel that didn't exist. Again, surprise, surprise, no response.
At this stage I was thinking maybe the hotal had been forced to close down or something that would someway excuse such rudeness and bad customer service.
Now comes the really shocking bit. I returned home from an amazing holiday in the USA, having put this incident out of my mind, only to find the El Adobe Inn had charged my $106 for the whole experience.
I cannot believe such a place is still in business, I hate to imagine how they deal with customers face-to-face.
I e-mailed every address I can find for the hotel to complain, but guess what, no response.
I am disgusted by the whole experience, this hotel doesn't deserve your business.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. There has been a change in management and I will be using reviews like yours to improve upon our service. I sincerely apologize for the lack of follow though on our behalf.

Nisha

Been to Inn By The Bay Monterey? Share your experiences!