“good value” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Lone Oak Lodge

You added Lone Oak Lodge to your Saves list
Lone Oak Lodge
2.0 of 5 Lodge   |   2221 North Fremont St, near Della Vine Avenue, Monterey, CA 93940   |
“good value”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2005

Our family of 5 [3 sons @ 13, 13, & 15] THE PROS; cheaper than most of Monterey’s motels @ $79/nite GOOD VALUE; SERVICE was good & helpful

THE CONS; This is an Older motel; No Air Conditioning when we stayed in April 2005[cabin style 2 bdrm w/kitchen was cramped LOCATION; N Fremont St is a Motel strip on the far side of the area—15 blocks to Aquarium, Cannery Row, Fisherman’s wharf, --Retail Urban Motel, restaurant neighbors & traffic noise were not heard.;

----BEST TRIP ADVICE; Get a GPS trip device with your rental car—saves stress & time!-----

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2005

I didn't quite believe in the previous bad review because I didn't think anyone in the travel business would treat their customers like the review had described. Now I totally believe it.

Based on the other good reviews, I decided to check out Lone Oak's website. Things look acceptable, but they didn't have the Queen/Queen room type listed in the online reservation system. I emailed them to ask about it. I waited for a day and no reply, so I made a reservation for another room type. Later that day, I received an email with a good rate for the Queen/Queen. I called them up to make a reservation for this one and cancel the other. When I explained to the man (John) who answered the phone, he first ridiculed me with his "why would you do that?" questions. I explained again and he said it wasn't smart to make two reservations. I told him I didn't know if they were going to reply so I made a reservation. Now that I see the room type I want is available at a good rate, I want it instead. Why would he ridicule me for it? He said well it wasn't smart again. I asked him why he's treating his customer like this and he said "so do you want to keep the reservation or not?" I tried to reason with him, but he just kept yelling "so do you want to keep the reservation or not." I asked him if he's the manager and he said he was, so I cancelled the reservation. Really, how can someone in the service industry be this rude and still in business?

• Stayed April 2005
Brea, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2004

The facility has been recently renovated and is very clean. This is by far the most reasonably priced motel in the area. Be sure to get a room near the back, as the front rooms are close to the street. The fireplace was easy to use and the spa was huge. The location is close to everything, including Pt. Lobos, Cannery Row, and Pacific Grove. Chef Lee's Mandarin Cuisine is a couple of blocks west of Lone Oak - great Chinese food! I would definitely consider staying here again if I return to the area.

• Stayed January 2005
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2004

Very nice and clean motel. No problems, except we were quoted a price and when we got there we were told it was only for Friday, and it was 20.00 more on Sat. This was not explained when the reservations were made. Otherwise, it was very nice and close to everything.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2004

We were planning a Mother's Day weekend in Monterey and after a lot of internet exploration, we found Lone Oak Lodge to be appealing. Well, the night of our arrival, we made a wrong turn. got a little lost, and found our way there about 20 minutes after the office closed. We were exhausted but glad to be there. We rang the night service bell and a couple of minutes later the desk clerk emerged LIVID as H- E- Double L. This woman was beyond rational. I could understand her anger for us not calling to let her know we were arriving late (we made reservations 2 months in advance and did not remember that the office closed at 11 pm). But this lady was COMPLETELY out of line. We were absolutely floored with her yelling at the top of her lungs and flailing her arms about and give us way more than her two cents about the rules and how she had worked 16 hours and didn't need this. When I asked her to please calm down she continued and said, "NO I WON'T! I am SO ANGRY......". We took the mistreatment for 5 minutes. She had already charged our card and every other place in town was booked so we had to take the room. When my Mother was filling out the information card she was so shaky that she asked what part she should fill out. The lady was NOT done being rude to us. She sarcastically replied. "Well, what does it look like? Can't you see what it says there?" I am not one to write reviews but never in my life have I been so blatenly mistreated by someone in "customer service". I was so happy to support a locally owned and operated business but for once I feel helpless that we had to take her you-know-what and there no recourse and no supervisor to contact (I believe she may have been the owner). I beg you not to go there. Support people that (even when you make a small mistake) appreciate the $150.00 you hand over to have a "decent" place to rest your head.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2004

We have stayed at the Lone Oak Motel twice in the last 6 months and are planning on staying there again this weekend. The rooms are great, terrific to stay here with kids because of the TV's/VCR to help the kids unwind after a fun day in Monterey, very helpful having a kitchen to fix late snacks, meals, etc. I recommend it to everyone!

4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2003

A standard US motel. The room was very large, the place was clean. The Jacuzzi and spa were small but we were always the only guests there.

Been to Lone Oak Lodge? Share your experiences!