“Cozy & clean!!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Red Roof Inn Monterey

Save Saved
You added Red Roof Inn Monterey to your Saves list
Red Roof Inn Monterey
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2227 N Fremont St, Monterey, CA 93940 (Formerly America's Best Value Inn & Suites - Cypress Tree Inn)   |
Special Offer
Book Direct and Save!
Ranked #12 of 53 hotels in Monterey
“Cozy & clean!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013 via mobile

We booked this spot because we came to Monterey for the MotoGP event. We reserved through orbitz for Sunday night, and when we got there we found out that orbitz never sent over our confirmation paperwork. We showed the friendly man at the front desk out confirmation email and we ended up working something out and we ended up paying less than what we had booked with orbitz. We had hauled our motorcycle with us and parking was not a problem! More than enough space for people hauling motorcycle trailers. The room was cozy and roomy (just 2 of us!) , and after 3 days of camping in the cold Monterey weather, the bed and a hot shower were the highlight of our stay!! We had a tv, fridge, microwave. Location is pretty good. Not too far from restaurants. There's actually sushi restaurant right across the street, so no having to drive to eat!! They have a small breakfast bar in the morning. Cereal, toast, coffee. Easy peasy, can't complain when free food is offered! Everything went well, aside from Orbitz screwing things up! Also, the walls are really thin...that, or people talk waaaaaay too loud! I would stay here again, but I'd request not to have a room by any entrances, that's where all the voice traffic seems to be. I'd definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013
Neil P, Manager at Red Roof Inn Monterey, responded to this review, August 10, 2013
Dear Guest,

We are pleased to hear that you took some time to tell us about your experience with us. We always want to take care of our guests in the most polite manner as possible, especially if they seem to encounter any problems upon check-in. Were glad to hear that you enjoyed our spacious rooms and that you enjoyed the warm cozy beds and a hot shower. We are located in a very great spot for our guests, because we are close to convenient stores, restaurants, and other stores as well. We are so sorry to hear that the noise was an issue for you. We will definitely do our best to put you in a quieter room next time. Please refer us to your friends and family and we hope to see you again in the future. Also, to avoid any issues at the time of check-in, please book directly with us next time, because it will be a lot easier for you and a lot cheaper as well. We love to book directly with our guests.

184 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013 via mobile

I had drove to downtown monterey in hope of finding a hotel on a tuesday night, with my last minute decision to drive out there from vallejo with my kids, apparently there was no hotels in downtown that night that had a room. We then drove around thinking we were out of luck, but luckily we found this inn, the personnel in the front was very nice, the room was very clean, fresh breakfast next day in the morning

• Stayed August 2013
Dear Guest,

We are extremely happy to hear that you gave us a perfect rating based on your experience staying with us. We always want to do out absolute best to make sure that each and every single guest can enjoy their stay in the best way possible. We want nothing but the best for all of our guests who come stay. The housekeeping staff always make sure that each and every room is very clean so that guests can enjoy the freshness in the room. We always want to offer our guests a delicious continental breakfast that they can enjoy before moving in with their day. Please do refer us to your friends and family and we would love to see you again in the future. Also, next time you decide to stay with us, please book your room directly with us as it will make the process a lot easier and we would love to take care of our guests directly.

Antioch, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

I wish I could give a zero to this hotel. We arrived at the Red Roof Inn (RRI) to check into our room only to be informed they had no reservation in our name. We had booked the room through Priceline several weeks before, and had received two email confirmations from Priceline before our trip. The front desk called the manager out, who also told us there was no reservation. He proceeds to tell me I needed to contact Priceline, which I did. Priceline told me the room had been confirmed, and transferred me to one of their managers. She asked me to hold and she called the RRI manager, where he went to a backroom to take the call. While I was waiting, on hold, in the lobby, a man came in and asked for a room. He was told there were only Kings left at $269, so this made us aware that they did have a room available to us. A few moments later, the Priceline manager came back on my line and told me the manager refused to do business with us (including Priceline) even though he said he had a room for $380 (the price keeps going up), which Priceline said they would pay the difference. Another RRI woman came out, and told me - while I was on the phone with Priceline - that she would give me the room if I put the $380 on my credit card and I could get reimbursed from Priceline on my own. She then proceeds to tell me I should book directly with them next time, not Priceline.

Meantime, the Priceline manager told me she would find me another hotel which they did. On top of all this, the original male manager never came back out to the lobby to speak with me at all, but sent others to do the job. During this whole time, I never lost my temper, for I was too flabbergasted that this was taking place.

I stay in hotels several times a year, but have never been treated the way this hotel treated my husband and I. Needless to say, we will be doing business with Priceline again, but not with a Red Roof Inn.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Neil P, Manager at Red Roof Inn Monterey, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
Dear Peggy,

I am the general manager here and I want to apologize for the situation that occurred on August 3rd. I request you to understand the following fact: First you found out and agreed that we did not have a soft copy or hard copy of your reservation in our system, which you made through Priceline when you came to check-in. Then you called Priceline from our office, and we received a fax after your conversation with Priceline without providing any guaranteed payment method from Priceline. So at this point, we both agreed that this location was not handling your reservation, but it was handled by Priceline with CRS of RRI. So it was a big mistake from their end.

Yes we said that there was one last mini-suite available with a rate of $269. Even though we were not part of this situation, we were ready to accept your reservation. Unfortunately, after your conversation to Priceline, they were not providing a credit card to us. You also refused to pay us directly. So we had no way to overrule the policy and let you check-in without any money.

It was Saturday and my representative spoke to Priceline requesting them that if you provide a credit card now, we will still go ahead and consider their check-in. The Priceline rep. said that he cannot provide a card but on Monday, we may be able to do it. According to you, the Priceline rep. provided a credit card at another hotel for your stay, so why could they not provide us a credit card? So I do not understand why we were getting blamed for this situation.

Now you please tell us was it possible for us to let you check-in in this situation? And who will be responsible for the related accounting process?

Kindly understand the situation and we want to apologize for any inconvenience. I hope that any misunderstanding or confusion that you have should be cleared out. Again, I personally feel sorry for the incident that occurred.

Maricopa, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

We stayed five nights at the Inn and found the staff to be very nice and helpful. We were there for the MOTOGP races in July 2013.So if any of your MOTOGP fan need a comfortable and affordable place to stay let me suggest this Red Roof INN on Fremont St. Every night on our return our room was cleaned with fresh towels. The Inn is near shopping, food and down the street from Cannery Row.The Inn is quiet and comfortable. We have made our reservations for next year and maybe visit again before the race. Thanks to the Staff of Red Roof INN. Lori

Room Tip: Just ask any of the staff they are so nice and helpful.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Neil P, Manager at Red Roof Inn Monterey, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
Dear Lori,

We are so delighted that you have given us a perfect rating based on your experience. We are so glad that we can provide you with the best possible guest service during a busy weekend such as the Moto GP Race. My housekeeping staff works extremely hard to make sure that all the rooms are nice and clean when customers get back from a long day. Also, my staff and I want to make sure that we can accommodate guests in the most convenient way after they have been out all day. We want to do everything we can to help them relax and have a goodnight stay. We are also glad to hear that you loved the location of the hotel, because it is very convenient for all of your guests. We appreciate that you have suggested our hotel for other guests so that they can have the same great experience as you. We are more than happy to have you back again next year for the races and are proud that you have already booked your reservations with us next year. Any other time you want to come stay with us again, please book directly with our hotel, that way my staff and I can take care of you in the best possible manner and accommodate you right away so you do not run into any issues. Please refer us to your friends and family as well and we cannot wait to see you next year for the races or anytime sooner.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

I travel from the east coast in which this hotel is very popular. Since I was visiting I thought to come here. I called first before I arrived just to make sure they had rooms available. The man that answered seem kind of rude and agitated. When I arrived he asked me to write a review. As for the service it was poor, the rooms were spacious & very clean. The location is awesome, near the beach and lots of food restaurants. I wouldn't recommend those that have cell phones with ridiculous service because I had none. I had to constantly walk outside to my car to talk.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

We are greatly appreciated that you wanted to share your thoughts about your experience staying with us. We are extremely happy that you enjoyed the cleanliness of the room and the big space of the room. My housekeeping staff works very hard everyday to make sure that each room is cleaned properly. We sincerely apologize if you did not experience the best possible guest service. We always try to work hard to improve our guest service and that is something that we can improve everyday. We are also glad to hear that you enjoyed the location of the property, as it is very convenient for all of our guests. Also, we are sorry to hear that you did not receive any cell phone service, but we never had that issue with any of our guests before. We do want to give you the best possible guest service, so we want to make our adjustments and we do hope to see you again in the future.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013 via mobile

great service at check in.
location is a bit far from the monterey attractions but fine if you have a car.
beds had blankets with cigarette burns. sheets were threadbare on my bed. room smelled of urinal disinfectant. only 2 skinny pillows per double bed. power button on tv remote didn't work.
No hot water available on the evening we got there although it was on again for the morning.
stayed in room 215 and checked out after 1 night as it was unacceptable for a hotel to be this shabby in 2013.

• Stayed July 2013
Neil P, Manager at Red Roof Inn Monterey, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
Dear Guest,

Please let me revise my previous response as follows:

Your reservation was paid by Travelocity for two nights. The next morning, you were asking Neil (GM) that you were not planning on staying and were asking for a refund. He advised you to go through the travel agent, as you were not paying us directly. You did not mention any issues during the conversation with Neil, so we assumed that everything was fine and you had no issues as you left happily.

For your information, this hotel is 100% smoke free facility, so we should not have any issues about any cigarette burns anywhere. All of our linens come through Mission Linen Supply, and so far we never had any issues with any linens. The rooms are 100% renovated including furniture, carpet, paint, drapes, bedding and this is also a non-pet room. So there should not be any issues about the smell of urine. I am not sure if these issues came from you, because you may not have received a second night refund from the travel agent. We made an attempt to reach out to you to discuss this matter. Unfortunately, we did not have any contact information including an email.

SORRY,,, but please feel free to contact us if you have any concerns or if you want to discuss any further information and we will be more than happy to talk to you.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013 via mobile

I decided to use the hotel because of the location, but after we arrived I was glad we chose it. The staff was friendly and the room were great! My family loved the room, especially the jacuzzi. The beds were super comfortable and the room was huge. I was really impressed, it almost felt like home. I would definitely encourage any family to make this their stop if they are in the area.

• Stayed July 2013
Neil P, Manager at Red Roof Inn Monterey, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Dear Guest,

We are extremely happy that you considered our hotel and gave us that perfect rating that we are always trying to achieve. We are located in an amazing location for our guests so that they can enjoy the city with their friends and family. We are glad that you enjoyed the jacuzzi in our family suite. The family suite is our largest room in the facility with an approximate area of 700 square feet, so we are glad to hear that you enjoyed the space. Please do refer us to your friends and family and we would love for you to come back and enjoy your stay with us again.

Neil (G.M.)

Been to Red Roof Inn Monterey? Share your experiences!