“Loved the Colton Inn” 5 of 5 stars

2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   707 Pacific St, Monterey, CA 93940   |
Ranked #12 of 53 hotels in Monterey
“Loved the Colton Inn”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2006

My Family and I recently stayed at the Colton Inn. I did see a review online regarding room 114. Well I noticed it because that was the exact room we stayed in. The room was clean and heat was in working order, so I do not know if they just took quick action or what is up, but wanted to let all know that it was quite nice and not what it was portrayed on this site. We like the large table for games and cards, the kids loved it, and they felt like the lobby was the Kraft Food service at Studio City. It was phenominal. Thank you Colton Inn.

319 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2006

Arrived tonight to stay in our usual room. Room 114 which is in the Dungeon near the Sauna. The room is a very long room with 3 queen beds and a large dining area. I was traveling with my wife, 3 young children, and a friend. This room is the size of 2 large hotel rooms.

I was greated warmly at the desk and was provided with the key to our room. Upon entering our room we noticed that the carpet had not been vacuumed. I called the front desk and they sent someone quickly with a vacuum. I also noticed that the wall heater was not working and was told that we could be provided with a plug in room heater. We had the same problem the prior year in this same room. Can it be that the heater has not been functioning for a whole year or more?

I mentioned to them that since I was with 3 young children I thought it would be too dangerous to have a portable heater in the room. Lisa (the Supervisor on Duty) called me to apologize for the inconvenience and offered me adjoining rooms on the second floor with a King bed in one room and 2 Queens in the other room. We all left the room and were relieved that they were going to provide us with similar accomodations.

As I went to the office to exchange my key for the other rooms, Lisa informed me that she spoke to her manager and they were going to charge me for 2 rooms. I really couldn't believe my ears. I was already offered the two rooms and then when I got to the front desk, their manager, who phoned in from home, told Lisa and the other nice lady at the desk to charge me for 2 rooms. They were both very apologetic and told me that if it were up to them they would give me the rooms. I believed them. It appears however, that JANE, the hotel manager, does not believe in CUSTOMER SERVICE. Bad customer service is inexcusable, but even more so to repeat and loyal customers.

Lisa called Jane several times, but all she was willing to do was discount the rooms by $20, but this was still going to cost me $80 more. They were not even very busy, probably less than half full. I guess GREED wins over service to the Management at the Colton Inn.

Lisa was kind enough to pull some strings with another local motel and was able to get me a 2 room suite. This was the Best Western Monterey Inn. They were willing to reduce their rate by about $100 to accomodate us. Why couldn't Colton Inn do this?

The BW Monterey Inn may not have free cookies in the reception, but the rooms are much LARGER and much CLEANER than the room we had at the Colton Inn. It looks like they were recently remodeled.

Shame on JANE, the manager. Kudos to Lisa for finding us a better alternative.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2006

I have stayed at the Colton Inn many times. Living in Silicon Valley, I feel it is a wonderful place to feel like you're really getting away. I have two favorite rooms, and the manager works with me to assure I get my favorite room-if at all possible.
I run the Big Sur Marathon every year, and the Colton Inn is very quiet and within walking distance to board the marathon bus.
The Colton Inn always has a nice "sweet" to snack on, as we check in.
One visit, I was alone, as my husband couldn't make it, and I had a fabulous time-enjoying all that Monterey has to offer and the pleasant staff at the Colton Inn.

• Stayed April 2005
Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2006

Nice big rooms and very clean. The staff was very friendly pointing out nice restaurants all within walking distance. Definitely the place for quality yet economical budgets.

• Stayed March 2006

Been to Colton Inn? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Colton Inn

Address: 707 Pacific St, Monterey, CA 93940
Location: United States > California > Monterey Peninsula > Monterey
Free Breakfast Free High Speed Internet ( WiFi ) Free Parking Kitchenette Room Service Wheelchair access
#10 Family Hotel in Monterey
#18 Romantic Hotel in Monterey
Hotel Class:2.5 star — Colton Inn 2.5*
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Cheap Tickets, Tingo, Priceline, BookingOdigeoWL, Despegar.com, Venere and Otel so you can book your Colton Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Colton Hotel Monterey

If you own or manage Colton Inn, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.