“Great little spot” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #23 of 54 Hotels in Monterey
Montreal, Canada
“Great little spot”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2014

We did not know what to expect when we checked in to the Colton Inn, but we were thrilled with the results. Clean and spacious rooms. Breakfast included, with a beautiful garden in the back to enjoy breakfast. Staff were friendly and most helpful. Hotel is a 2-minute walk from restaurants and shopping, and a 10-minute walk from Old Fisherman's Wharf. Overall, would definitely return to the Colton Inn!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Flagstaff, Arizona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

In all the years I have used TA I have never written a negative review, but unfortunately, this hotel and the management have motivated me to weigh in and warn would be guests. The first thing out of the mouth of the GM "Pierce" was not "welcome to the Colton Inn" but rather "you can't park your car there". Had there been a parking sign that comment might have been legit, but when checking in it appeared to be the proper place to park.

Next the rooms - while the standard room a family member stayed in was sufficient, my husband and I made the huge mistake of booking the honeymoon suite with the idea that there would be a separate deck and more room for family members to meet. This room was musty and closed off with a hot tub area that was completely closed in, roof and all. I had to stand on my tiptoes to wash my face in the sink (I'm 5'5")...in fact there was no private outside deck or patio for this room. While it was laughable as a honeymoon suite it still would not have motivated me to write this review.

The reason I write this review is "Pierce" and the management in general. Very odd demeanor, talked to guests like children. On our last night there were 3 of us on the communal deck (remember we didn't have any private outdoor area with the honeymoon suite). We were quietly discussing the future of our disabled brother that lives with our 84 year old mother. Not a party conversation to say the least. Suddenly we were interrupted by Pierce saying that we were too loud....he then proceeded to accuse my husband of being angry and "sending him negativity". Again, bizarre as my husband may be a lot of things, but that's not even close. Did I mention that this was at 10 o'clock in the evening?? My take is that they simply do not want anyone using that deck except for breakfast - the heaters there were never even uncovered let alone used.

Some of these things could be overlooked, but my advice is to pay just a bit extra and stay down the road - this place and the management left me wondering how I could have made such a huge mistake by booking it. After re-checking the TA reviews I can now see how it happened. So hopefully this review will help someone else avoid Colton Inn and enjoy the happier places in Monterey.

Room Tip: Do not book the Honeymoon Suite!!!!!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
San Diego, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

Having lived on the Peninsula for 19 years, I saw the Inn probably a 1,000 times. However, I never stayed there after I left and never thought of it. I should have because the location is perfect, the rooms are a good size, parking is fine, the snacks they serve almost around the clock are fine for the munchies. The front desk was very professional. All said, the Inn could feel as though it had more character by paying closer attention to the landscaping in the front. It seems a little more charming in the back. I don't know the ownership or management, but it does lack the feel of live in ownership or management. Just an adjustment in feeling and a few changes would easily make this a 4 star.

Room Tip: I had a corner room and would suggest the same to anyone planning to stay at the Inn.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for 2 nights during Super Bike race at Laguna Seca.
It worked out fine.

Room was a little dated (furniture & fireplace), but overall was adequate.

One window was missing its "crank", so we had to work hard to close it with our fingers...(it had been left open & there was no screen..., plus it was cold!).

One lamp was burned out.

Closet doors were both off the tracks & missing a handle.

Fridge was so noisy we had to unplug it at night.

The Fireplace chimney banged at night with any high winds (we were on the top floor).

There was no note pad of any kind to alert the hotel of things needing to be fixed...

Breakfast was sweet pastries, bagels, fruit, maybe instant oatmeal? I skipped this.

"Cindy" was wonderful on the phone & in person

Great location, very close to downtown (walking distance).

• Stayed July 2014
Oslo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014 via mobile

Very nice hotel, clean rooms, spacious and fully equipped. Fireplace, comfortable beds. Central located in Monterey. Helpful and kind staff. Continental breakfast included. Nice DVD rental. Free parking. Great atmosphere. Quiet. We will stay there next time as well.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
South San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

We stayed in room 214 for the 4th of July holiday, 2014. The room was not bad, I would say recently renovated, but slightly pricey for what we got. I believe staying on this weekend was the cause of the price, but it was a VERY last minute reservation on Orbitz (meaning made on the 3rd!). The ONLY bad thing about the room, which they should have put a little money into, was the height of the shower head, and the shower head itself. Someone else commented on it, and it was a bit exaggerated, it's very sharp needle like pressure, which doesn't really HURT, but it can be a shock when you first feel it. I want to make clear, it's a good shower, I'm just putting it all out there (the temperature was also an issue, it did fluctuate a bit).

The free breakfast is not bad either. I have had better, but at higher quality hotels. Enjoy the freebies I say!

The bed, meh, NOT bad, but not good. It was tough the first night, as there is no air conditioning and our room either got hotter, or did not cool off, and it was a little warm with all the blankets on in our sleep. The second night, tricks were taken to make sure we were ready to deal with the heat and the comfort; it was a better night's sleep.

PARKING was an issue this weekend, but again, to be expected on a holiday weekend when everything in the town was overpriced/sold out!

I want to add, if you have little kids, take them to the fire house just a block over. THOSE GUYS ARE GREAT! My 2.4 year old son is fire truck crazy and when he saw one outside, we had to go see it. However, by the time we got going and downstairs, they moved the truck inside. I took him over there regardless, and low and behold, when one of the guys saw us peeking around outside, he asked us if we wanted to come in and take a look. We got a full 30 minute personal tour of the trucks and the house. THANK YOU Monterey Fire Department Station No. 1CREW!!!

Room Tip: Go for one of the higher floors, and enjoy the free breakfast. DO NOT BRING A PET!!!!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Santa Rosa, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

What a Great place! Conveniently located right in the heart of old Monterey! Walking distance to Alvarado street with great restaurants, and local flavor! We enjoyed our 10 minute stroll to the wharf too. Our room was clean and very spacious. The beds were firm and the pillows were soft and we loved the down comforters. Great list of DVD rentals that were complementary! Wonderful continental breakfast too...bagel,pastries, cereal, fruit...and more. The staff was very professional, and helpful. We needed a little help with our itinerary and the were right there to help us. We will definitely be back!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Been to Colton Inn? Share your experiences!