After spending 3 nights in a super clean, well-maintained, older, pleasant motel in San Francisco, we headed to our last stop on our road trip, the Colton Inn in Monterey. We arrived early and were told that check in time was 3:00 and our room wouldn't be ready until then, or maybe even 3:30, and to call then to see if it was ready! Really? The frazzled man at the desk also stated they were shorthanded-which made me wonder right off how well the rooms were being cleaned! So we took advantage of the one good thing about this hotel...location, and took a walk around downtown Monterey.
Later, walking in to our room at the Colton Inn was a HUGE disappointment, here are my observations:
- The room was very dark, slightly musty smelling, and there was a melted iron shaped burn right in the middle of the dingy, blue carpet.
- The lights in the room had fluorescent bulbs that took awhile to get bright and had an odd color, like you we're in an office environment- not at all conducive to a relaxing vacation.
- One of the vanity bulbs was burned out the whole time we were there.
- The bathroom walls were highly textured bathroom walls with faux marble finish using several colors-peach, brown and black. I thought some of the black streaks were dirt scuffs, until I noticed they repeated higher up on the walls! These walls would be hard to clean, and great at disguising dirt! Back of bathroom door was also scuffed up.
- It appeared the bathroom tub had once had sliding doors that had been removed, and the screw holes filled and the edge of the tub coated with white silicone.
- The tile floor had a big chip out of it by the toilet.
- The faucet in the bathroom area had terrible water pressure, but the second sink in the room area had decent pressure.
- When you took a shower, the hot water would sometimes get cold!
- There was a sticker stuck to the inside of the bowl of the sink, just below the overflow drain...but cleaning people never removed it!
- All the light switches were also night lights that couldn't be turned off. While this is nice in the bathroom, I need it very dark to sleep, so at 1:00am I covered up the switch near the bed with of band aids!
- The"closet" was missing the sliding door, but the carpet was cut out to accommodate it.
- Across the street was the fire station, so every few hours we heard loud sirens when they went out on calls.
- I mentioned we had triple A when we,checked out, and were told we should have told the, when we checked in, with no offer to adjust our bill!
This hotel needs general maintenance and upgrading, as well as a thorough cleaning. The staff seemed stressed out and were not friendly. This hotel was a low point for our vacation and I absolutely WOULD NOTstay here again!
- Also Known As:
- Colton Hotel
- Colton Hotel Monterey
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Priceline, Venere, Otel and Tingo so you can book your Colton Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.