“Nice hotel in good location” 4 of 5 stars

Colton Inn
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   707 Pacific St, Monterey, CA 93940   |
Ranked #21 of 53 Hotels in Monterey
Livingston, West Lothian
“Nice hotel in good location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

My husband and I were travelling down the pacific coast from San Francisco to San Diego and decided to stay in Monterey for 2 nights as part of our trip. The Colton Inn was recommended to us by a friend. Monterey hotels seem to be fairly expensive overall so the Colton seemed to be one of the more affordable options. From the outside the hotel looks more like a motel but the same cannot be said from the inside. While the rooms are not modern, they are very spacious and clean. Our room had a fireplace which gave it a lovely rustic feel. The bed was huge and very comfy! The room also had a microwave and fridge which came in handy. We took advantage of the free continental breakfast although you should note that there is nowhere to really eat it apart from back in your room. Location was great, not far from Fisherman's Wharf. Overall a great stay.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Santa Barbara, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

My friends and I stayed at the Colton Inn for 2 nights in November 2012. We were in Monterey for the Big Sur Half Marathon. The hotel was in a good central location and close to downtown. It was also close to the start and finish line of the race. I believe we had the "Frienship Suite" that had three queen beds. Although the room was very large, had a mini refrigerator and dining room table, it seemed a bit outdated compared to the other rooms that are shown on their website. I didn't think this was a big deal, but we were disappointed where the room was located. It was sub-level to the ground floor. You had to take the stairs to get there which lead to a small and dark narrow corridor. The room was located between the sauna and a conference room - there were no other rooms in this small area. I have to admit, the location of the room was a bit creepy - my friends felt they same way and we are all grown adults.

The beds were very comfortable and we all slept well. The shower was OK. The shower head wasn't really adjustable and just shot a stream of water out - kind of like a fire hose. Plus, it would go between being cold or extremely hot. Some of the towels were old old and torn. The housekeeping staff should be more careful and not put these old towels out.

The front desk staff were very nice and extremely accommodating. Also, the continental breakfast was pretty good - they had bagels, bread, an assort of pasteries, yogurt, cereals, coffee and tea. The night before the race, they were very nice and put the food out to accommodate the runners - they even had hard boiled eggs! I really appreciated this and it made it very easy for the runners.

Overall, I would give the Colton Inn another try. My friend stayed previously and she said that the other rooms were a lot nicer. The Friendship Suite wasn't too bad, it was really just the location. I think it would be fine for a group of friends who want to stay together or maybe even a family - that is if they do not mind the location. I guess for the value it's not bad.

Room Tip: I don't know if they have other Friendship Suites, but if they do try not to get the one that is...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

The rooms here have dated furnishings, but we found them to be clean and comfortable. Our king room with fireplace included a dorm room-sized refrigerator, microwave, and portable heater. The front desk is open from 7 AM to 11 PM. We didn't take advantage of the free continental breakfast, but I did stop by the lobby in the evening to get some tea, cookies, and fresh fruit (apple, banana, tangerine).

This is more of a motel setting - there aren't any interior corridors, and you park your car close to your room, possibly negotiating stairs if you're on the 2nd or 3rd floor. We walked a couple blocks to downtown Monterey to have our meals at the mom-and-pop-type restaurants there. Colton Inn is also a block away from the Monterey Museum of Art, and Colton Hall.

We drove to visit Fisherman's Wharf, Cannery Row, and the Aquarium. To us, these weren't walking distance from the hotel, but heartier folks might disagree. While driving around Monterey, we did notice many hotels that weren't walking distance to anything (restaurants, attractions, etc), which means driving everywhere. Parking around the Monterey Peninsula can add up ($1 per half hour), be inconvenient (two-hour time limits for curbside parking), and difficult near the more popular places. So before you book a room, I suggest figuring exactly where it is and what amenities are close by. It seemed to us we could have chosen a cheaper room, but it would have been in a less desirable location.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Laguna Woods, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

Having stayed at the Colton Inn 17 years ago, we decided to give it another try this year as we remembered that it seemed to be in a quieter area than most hotels and our earlier experience was positive. Unfortunately we can't say that it has improved over time. Not that it is bad, but if you are looking for modern, elegant and convenient, this will not be your cup of tea. It's pretty basic. We thought since it is surrounded by municipal buildings that it would be quiet, but someone was starting up some sort of trucks at 5 AM in the parking lot behind us (we were on the back side of the hotel - away from the street). One night we did hear neighbors' footsteps and bumping and thumping around - possibly a late check-in, so it's not as quiet as we hoped. We had very good weather; otherwise the tiny ancient space heater probably would not have been adequate as when we tried to get it to work, we couldn't. Since we had read about this problem in a review before booking, I had brought along a space heater, which I then decided to use one morning in the bathroom. But when I turned it OFF, the breaker tripped and the TV went off along with a couple of lights! The reset button fixed the problem, but what does that say about the wiring? My husband found two different types of bugs in his bed on two different nights. One of them appeared harmless so we flushed it and the other one was scurrying away, so he didn't get a good look at it. Since neither of us ended up with any kind of bites, we can't report any type of infestation, but some people might find this unacceptable. The breakfast was okay - nothing to write home about. The staff, however, was very pleasant and accommodating when we decided for personal reasons to cut our trip short and leave a day early. We did give 24 hours notice of this and they did not charge us for the last night. The beds were comfortable and they gave us plenty of pillows and towels, although the towels were looking a tiny bit worn. But they were clean. The rooms could do with some updating, but if you don't mind a more rustic atmosphere, then you might very well be perfectly satisfied with a stay at the Colton Inn.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the top level in the back away from the street.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Smithville, MO
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

The "friendship room" at the Colton Inn was perfect for our trip! It was very clean, three comfortable queen beds, a small dining area, refridgerator and microwave...plenty of room for 3 ladies traveling together. The front desk workers were very pleasant and helpful. The breakfast was basic, but nice to have. If you book the "friendship room" be prepared to carry your bags down the steps to the room. There is no elevator, which was no big deal to us but could be to others.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
england
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012 via mobile

We did a 16 night road trip in California and had 1 night in Monterey at the Colton Inn. Unfortunately this hotel ranks as the worst one we stayed at (our stays at Holiday Inn/Best Westerns were better).
We thought the service at the front desk was really good but the rooms were basic and needed renovating. Location was fine, we walked to Fisherman's Wharf in about 15mins and Cannery Row was probably about half hour walk.

• Stayed October 2012
Orlando, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

We checked in on October 4th. It was myself, my husband and our 11 month old baby. I was the last one up around 11:00 when I noticed a bug on a pillow. I went to smush it and there was blood everywhere. I was so grossed out I woke my husband up and told him about it. He turned on the lights and told me not to move. There were bugs on the bed around me. He took pictures and we looked it up. Bedbugs. Disgusting. As fast as we could we packed everything up, got the baby up and got out of there. The office closed at 11, so we started calling other hotels looking for a place to stay. We just stayed in the car while calling around since we were so grossed out and got a new hotel at 230 in the morning. The next morning when we spoke to the Colton inn about the situation, we had the misfortune of speaking with Dave. He was rude. Within an hour of speaking to us he told us an expert came, looked at the room and advised there weren't any bedbugs. He also said there hadn't been any there in 35 years. Made me wonder why he had an expert on call then, but I digress. He refused to compensate us at all for the headaches to move with a baby in the middle of the night, basically called us liars and did not seem to care one bit about the inconvenience we suffered. He did not want to see any pictures and said he would call us back. We never heard from him again. Dave, if you read this we still have the pictures of the bedbugs from your inn. One comparison of our pics to a google search will tell you all you need to know. All in all, it was a horrible experience.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Been to Colton Inn? Share your experiences!