“Good value and close to downtown Monterey” 4 of 5 stars

You added Colton Inn to your Saves list
Colton Inn
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   707 Pacific St, Monterey, CA 93940   |
Ranked #14 of 53 hotels in Monterey
“Good value and close to downtown Monterey”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

The rooms here have dated furnishings, but we found them to be clean and comfortable. Our king room with fireplace included a dorm room-sized refrigerator, microwave, and portable heater. The front desk is open from 7 AM to 11 PM. We didn't take advantage of the free continental breakfast, but I did stop by the lobby in the evening to get some tea, cookies, and fresh fruit (apple, banana, tangerine).

This is more of a motel setting - there aren't any interior corridors, and you park your car close to your room, possibly negotiating stairs if you're on the 2nd or 3rd floor. We walked a couple blocks to downtown Monterey to have our meals at the mom-and-pop-type restaurants there. Colton Inn is also a block away from the Monterey Museum of Art, and Colton Hall.

We drove to visit Fisherman's Wharf, Cannery Row, and the Aquarium. To us, these weren't walking distance from the hotel, but heartier folks might disagree. While driving around Monterey, we did notice many hotels that weren't walking distance to anything (restaurants, attractions, etc), which means driving everywhere. Parking around the Monterey Peninsula can add up ($1 per half hour), be inconvenient (two-hour time limits for curbside parking), and difficult near the more popular places. So before you book a room, I suggest figuring exactly where it is and what amenities are close by. It seemed to us we could have chosen a cheaper room, but it would have been in a less desirable location.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

318 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Laguna Woods, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

Having stayed at the Colton Inn 17 years ago, we decided to give it another try this year as we remembered that it seemed to be in a quieter area than most hotels and our earlier experience was positive. Unfortunately we can't say that it has improved over time. Not that it is bad, but if you are looking for modern, elegant and convenient, this will not be your cup of tea. It's pretty basic. We thought since it is surrounded by municipal buildings that it would be quiet, but someone was starting up some sort of trucks at 5 AM in the parking lot behind us (we were on the back side of the hotel - away from the street). One night we did hear neighbors' footsteps and bumping and thumping around - possibly a late check-in, so it's not as quiet as we hoped. We had very good weather; otherwise the tiny ancient space heater probably would not have been adequate as when we tried to get it to work, we couldn't. Since we had read about this problem in a review before booking, I had brought along a space heater, which I then decided to use one morning in the bathroom. But when I turned it OFF, the breaker tripped and the TV went off along with a couple of lights! The reset button fixed the problem, but what does that say about the wiring? My husband found two different types of bugs in his bed on two different nights. One of them appeared harmless so we flushed it and the other one was scurrying away, so he didn't get a good look at it. Since neither of us ended up with any kind of bites, we can't report any type of infestation, but some people might find this unacceptable. The breakfast was okay - nothing to write home about. The staff, however, was very pleasant and accommodating when we decided for personal reasons to cut our trip short and leave a day early. We did give 24 hours notice of this and they did not charge us for the last night. The beds were comfortable and they gave us plenty of pillows and towels, although the towels were looking a tiny bit worn. But they were clean. The rooms could do with some updating, but if you don't mind a more rustic atmosphere, then you might very well be perfectly satisfied with a stay at the Colton Inn.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the top level in the back away from the street.
Smithville, MO
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

The "friendship room" at the Colton Inn was perfect for our trip! It was very clean, three comfortable queen beds, a small dining area, refridgerator and microwave...plenty of room for 3 ladies traveling together. The front desk workers were very pleasant and helpful. The breakfast was basic, but nice to have. If you book the "friendship room" be prepared to carry your bags down the steps to the room. There is no elevator, which was no big deal to us but could be to others.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
england
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012 via mobile

We did a 16 night road trip in California and had 1 night in Monterey at the Colton Inn. Unfortunately this hotel ranks as the worst one we stayed at (our stays at Holiday Inn/Best Westerns were better).
We thought the service at the front desk was really good but the rooms were basic and needed renovating. Location was fine, we walked to Fisherman's Wharf in about 15mins and Cannery Row was probably about half hour walk.

• Stayed October 2012
Orlando, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

We checked in on October 4th. It was myself, my husband and our 11 month old baby. I was the last one up around 11:00 when I noticed a bug on a pillow. I went to smush it and there was blood everywhere. I was so grossed out I woke my husband up and told him about it. He turned on the lights and told me not to move. There were bugs on the bed around me. He took pictures and we looked it up. Bedbugs. Disgusting. As fast as we could we packed everything up, got the baby up and got out of there. The office closed at 11, so we started calling other hotels looking for a place to stay. We just stayed in the car while calling around since we were so grossed out and got a new hotel at 230 in the morning. The next morning when we spoke to the Colton inn about the situation, we had the misfortune of speaking with Dave. He was rude. Within an hour of speaking to us he told us an expert came, looked at the room and advised there weren't any bedbugs. He also said there hadn't been any there in 35 years. Made me wonder why he had an expert on call then, but I digress. He refused to compensate us at all for the headaches to move with a baby in the middle of the night, basically called us liars and did not seem to care one bit about the inconvenience we suffered. He did not want to see any pictures and said he would call us back. We never heard from him again. Dave, if you read this we still have the pictures of the bedbugs from your inn. One comparison of our pics to a google search will tell you all you need to know. All in all, it was a horrible experience.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

A drive by booking and an excellent choice given the price. King size bed, patio, cooker, fridge, super shower. Large clean room, though reception drab and breakfast option poor. Overall excellent value. Only 5 min walk to downtown and fisher mans wharf

El Sobrante, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

I made a reservation May 27th 2012 on The Colton Inn's web site. My reservation, that I have in writing, states that the price for my stay from November 9th- 12th would be a grand total of $166.90. When I called to confirm my reservation on Sept 26th I spoke to Bill at the reservation desk. He confirmed that my reservation was still on at the price of $166.90 and that he would send another confirmation e-mail to me. I received that confirmation however a few moments later he sent an additional confirmation e-mail over to me with a price change. When I called him back to inquire about the price change he laughed at me said there is no way they will honor the pricing I had reserved unless I had something in writing but even then "I'm just the person who works at the reservation desk you will have to call back and speak to the manager Lisa." The next morning I called and spoke to Lisa she stated that "the system must have messed up on the pricing when you made the reservation and it should have never let the reservation go though" (But it did and again I have it in writing!) She said they would not honor the reservation and there was nothing that she could do about it! She told me that she would have the general manager, David, call me back within an hour to further discus it with me. 4 days later I still had not heard back from David. So on Oct 1 I called back and spoke to Donna, she stated that David would be calling me back with in the hour. The next day I finally received a call back from a very hostile David. He was EXTREMELY rude and told me it should have been obvious that they would never offer two nights free. It was not obvious due to the reservation that I made on their website stated that it was! WHICH AGAIN I HAVE IN WRITING! David did not even offer to try to work something out with me on my reservation, his only statement was "So do you want to cancel your reservation or not" If this is how they treat their customers and run their establishment I dont know how they stay in business. I will never stay at this hotel and I will make it a point to let everyone know just how unprofessional they are!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Colton Inn? Share your experiences!