“nothing like the pictures” 1 of 5 stars

Bayside Inn
2.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   2055 Fremont Street, Monterey, CA 93940   |
Ranked #6 of 12 Monterey B&B and Inns
Modesto
“nothing like the pictures”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

We booked our room based on the online reviews and pictures of the rooms, we were extremely disappointed and left soon after checking in. The room had a very strange smell that gave us both headaches within 20 min of being in the room. The furniture was beat up broken white lacquar from 1980 and the refrigerator didn't work. A single small personal fan was all that we had to cool the room and the overhead room light was dim and flickered when turned on. There were holes in the walls and an old Renuzit airfreshener on the table(that did nothing for the smell!!) The owners are VERY nice and we didn't want to insult them by leaving, but there was absolutely no way we could have stayed there all night. If I had taken pictures I would post them, but we just wanted to leave.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Bend, Oregon
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

I normally refrain from reviewing places I stay in because I'm generally happy. I'm also not in my room that much because I'd rather be out doing things than sitting in a hotel room. However, because of the price, I feel like I should say something.

The placard on the door in our room listed the room rate as anywhere between $59.99 and $279.99. This is a decent hotel for the $59 rate, but I would never, ever pay $279. As it was, we paid almost $400 for 3 nights and that was severely overpriced.

First, here is what I liked about the hotel -
1. The gentleman who checked us in was very nice and friendly and seemed genuinely happy that we were there. Fine.
2. The towels were decent.
3. The TV worked.
4. The bathroom was a nice size.

Now, here is what I didn't like. Any of these things by themselves aren't horrible and even all together they are just sort of comical. But they all add up to not being worth the price.
1. The water from the shower alternated between lava hot and ice water. While showering.
2. The bottom of the bathroom door scraped the floor.
3. There is no closet. And no hangers. The "closet" is the alcove where the TV sits.
4. I couldn't get my phone connected to the wifi. (could have just been my lame phone.)
5. The bed had a duvet cover for a bedspread. An empty duvet cover. No duvet. I'm glad we brought an extra blanket.
6. I found a bug in the bed. Just one, but still.
7. No fan in the bathroom.
8. Flat pillows.
9. Not conveniently located to anything but the freeway. It wasn't a far drive to other places, I just would have liked to be able to walk somewhere.
10. No ice in the ice machine and the room fridge was turned off.
11. The pool is tiny and right by the road. There is a gate around it, but you can still smell the cars going by.

I can't speak for the breakfast because we went elsewhere. If you truly don't care where you stay and have money to burn, this place will do just fine. If, however, vacations are rare for you and you don't want to be disappointed, then find something else.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Indian Trail, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

Stayed at the motel as part of a two month trip. Goal was to support local establishments. The owner was very accomodating and willing to show us the room before making the reservation. Room was nice, clean and WiFi available. Coffee, juice and pastries available for breakfast the next morning which we had to take back to our room. The best part of this stay was that Pets are not allowed. We commend the owner for maintaining this policy as we do not want to sleep in beds were animals have been. Owner gave us a map and pointed out some points of interest.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012 via mobile

I'm reviewing this as I'm here. Lovely room, very clean. Upon arrival the guy at the desk took time out to show us local attractions, good restaurants etc on a map. Wifi us free and very quick.

For the price, and for a short stay, this is a great little find.

• Stayed August 2012
Athlone, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012 via mobile

Nice place owners were lovely .. Very helpful. Had to drive to Monterey from there as u have to go on freeway .. Muffins for breakfast which were nice. Rooms were nice but u cud hear all going on in the rooms beside u. No laundry. Nice pool too outside . 7 out of 10

• Stayed July 2012
Zurich, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012

We stayed in a clean and tidy one King size bed room with a small but very clean bathroom. The sink was outside the bathroom which is very functional. Not the newest TV and very fast Wifi. The room gets at least 4 stars and in combination with the absolutely friendly and helpful staff we were more then just satisfied. The breakfast was basic but we couldn't expect more for this great price!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Dresden, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

good place, everything clean. staff was very friendly

Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Bayside Inn? Share your experiences!