“Great value, wonderful people, special location” 5 of 5 stars

Merritt House Inn
2.0 of 5 Inn   |   386 Pacific Ave., Monterey, CA 93940   |
Ranked #3 of 12 Monterey B&B and Inns
San Francisco
“Great value, wonderful people, special location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2009

My wife really enjoyed the gardens and decor of this restored property. The location was a block from the Downtown conference center, a world away in terms of peace and quite. Fran, who manages the morning breakfast and serves the front desk during the day, was kind and caring. GREAT value for what you get, a clean, unique hotel located within walking distance of the harbor and many good restaurants.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
San Francisco
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2009

What a dump! This place advertizes itself as a historical monument - that's an amazing twist to the truth. There's one old landmark house that's not even attached to most of the "regular" rooms, but that's the one they show on the website. The regular rooms are from the 70's. They're dark. The decor is spare and outdated. They advertise a "shared patio", but there's nothing like that, unless you call a regular motel walkway a patio. There's a fireplace, but you have to BEG for firelogs - there's nothing to burn when you get there. The bathroom light is connected to a fan that sounds like a garbage truck, but you have to use it because otherwise it's pitch black in there. The only natural light comes from the front doors (which you'll keep closed because they look out on the parking lot - NOT manicured gardens as described) and a there's a tiny skylight overhead that you have to use a long pole to open. TERRIBLE beds, like sleeping on a concrete sidewalk. Incredibly noisy - you can hear right through the walls. Way too expensive for such a crappy place. Don't waste your money - stay somewhere else and enjoy your stay in beautiful Monterey!

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
california
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2009

The Merritt House advertises itself with a photo
of an old, charming house in Monterey. The actual rooms
are these tacky 70's boxes that, in our case look onto a
parking lot. The charming house was somewhat visible
from the back. They did have a nice fireplace but on the first night
when I asked for a second Presto-Log, the attendant or night
manager made me promise not to put both logs on at the
SAME TIME. Okay. The following night, I requested a second log
but he wouldn't give it to me, saying- "these cost five dollars".
He said I might be able to get a second one at the corner store.
Now that -is good old fashioned HOSPITALITY!! What a jerk.
Stay away folks.

Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
Marin, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2008

After researching hotels online that were in Old Monterey, I found that there are few hotels within the town itself. They were the Marriott, Portola Hotel, and the Coltonn Inn. It was a very busy weekend when I was booking, but all had vacancies. I had already stayed at the Portola and Marriott, and while they are okay, they weren't anything to write home about, especially for the price.

That being said, they are not about value, but rather, just getting people in and out (touristy) - and you know what you are getting. I guess I was a bit spoiled by my last visit a couple weeks prior to staying at Bernardus (the best hotel experience I have EVER had, bar none) - so I was hoping for something at least not cookie-cutter. Well, that being said, that left the Coltonn Inn, which was a couple of blocks walk into the main part of town, the Merritt House Inn, which is in back of the Marriott, or the Monterey Hotel (right in the town).

The Coltonn Inn looks pretty darn no-frills and simple - you knew what you were getting. The Monterey Hotel would be noisy, small, and overpriced - and had no vacancies. That left the Merritt House Inn .. it looked like it could be a find, and it was very well priced compared to the Marriott and Portola.

Let me say, that I nearly booked the Marriott or Portola, but decided to take a chance on the Merritt House Inn. I checked the prices online, and there were vacancies for the days I was looking at. Okay, that was fine - when I called to inquire about the rooms available, and to book I was told that the price for the room would be $30 more a night??? I was not happy about that, maybe I should have taken that as a sign not to book, but I still went ahead.

When we got there a good thing was that it is literally two blocks away from the main street in Old Town Monterey (it is right behind the Marriott as I mentioned earlier), and there is also free parking - another plus. I want to start off by saying that the Inn Keeper (I forgot the gentlemans name) was very nice and friendly.

The condition of the Inn lobby was okay - nothing special and a bit dated, and very small. The Inn is in a pretty densely populated block, where space is obviously at a premium. I guess what I meant to say about the lobby is that there is no real charm and it was nothing to write home about.

We got room #4, I wish we had taken some pictures, but literally, we just used the room as a crashing pad, as we went to Big Sur and did some sightseeing and hiking during the days, and went out into the town at night. The room's entrance faced the driveway going into the parking lot, and the other end of the room faced the courtyard which separated the old historic building from the one we were in. The old historic building had three bigger suites, which I can not comment on since I have not seen them.

The room was definitely nothing special, a bit dated with lackluster carpet and very dark, even during the day. The bathroom was okay, but could use updating. It was small and basic, but there were two great points for us - there was always great water pressure in the shower and there was always hot water. There was an older tv in the room, and also a refrigerator which was a plus. The furniture was a bit blah, and the carpet needed replacing. The highlight of the room was the bed - very, VERY comfy. My wife actually said it was comfier than the bed at Bernardus - I would say it ws about the same.

All in all, I have been there, done that, and I would not stay here again. But at the same time, it's not the worst place either, just not what I had expected. If you book knowing what to expect than this could very well be worth it for you. For a bit extra, I would probably book the Marriott or Portola. Remember, this review is for someone who had the requirement of staying in the Old Monterey Town, not Cannery Row, etc.

• Liked — Bed
  • Disliked — Dark, lackluster room
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Sacramento, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2008

Stayed here for a long weekend/girls getaway. The staff was friendly and the room was clean. The parking is tight - very tight - to get in and out of.

We had a room that overlooked the garden courtyard (2nd floor). I thought we might have a lot of noise due to the street, but when the door was closed, it was surprisingly quiet (although you will still hear the sirens when they go screaming by).

There was a coffeemaker (hidden in the cabinet under the TV), DVD/VHS player, cube refrigerator and iron/ironing board. A personal pet peeve is that there was no information on the hotel itself or its amenities. Lots of info on Monterey and the surrounding area, but nothing on breakfast, cable TV channels, DVD/VHS player, or other hotel amenities. Lighting was slightly above average (meaning I could read in bed, but don't expect to play a board game/cards, stitching, or do much else). Ample pillows and extra blankets shoved (and I do mean shoved and hard to drag out) in the cabinet. The art and room decor was nice, but nothing to knock your socks off.

The courtyard overlook was nice, but it is a continuous balcony that is shared by everyone on the floor. This meant that you get eau de smokers wafting in, if you leave the courtyard doors open. Also it is a little disconcerting to see folks wandering around first thing in the morning. But its a good way to socialize, depending on your neighbors.

There was a ceiling fan by the front door, but it only seems to work if the light is left on. So we tended to leave the courtyard door open to get more ventilation.

I liked that its not far from the walking trail and it was fairly quiet and restful when we were there. It met our needs and we were satisfied with the experience. We would have no hesitation staying here again, but I'm not sure we'd go out of our way to stay here again.

• Liked — Convenient and beds were comfortable.
  • Disliked — Parking lot was tight to get in and out of
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Manchester, New Hampshire
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2007

Just returned from a weekend at The Merritt House in Monterey with a group who had different rooms. Our friends had a fabulous room that opened to a beautiful, lush courtyard with outdoor seating. They loved it! Our room, however, overlooked an SUV parked right in front of our door. It was like a dark cave lit by only the french entry doors - lacking the patio to a courtyard and even paintings on the walls! The breakfast was okay - but I've had better at Hilton Hotels. Fresh fruit consisted of a couple of bananas and apples in a bowl; cereal was dry or instant oatmeal (they brought hot water for it) ; and the coffee was incredibly strong. The breakfast alone knocks it out of a 4-star rating. But the room was really disappointing. For the price, I'm sure travelers can do better in Monterey.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Rooms
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
UK
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2007

Don't bother with this place. Whilst it served its purpose as a base this inn is nothing to write home about. The room was massive and clean but the staff were rude and completely unhelpful. I would not stay here again. If you are considering staying in this part of California try and stay near Carmel or even cannery row in Monterey.

Stayed September 2007

Been to Merritt House Inn? Share your experiences!