“What a fun adventure!” 4 of 5 stars

New York City, New York
14 attraction reviews
“What a fun adventure!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

Me and my friend rented kayaks - and had such a good time out in the bay! I saw sea otters and sea lions galore!! They would come up to us - even though we tried to keep our distance (its the law!). Very cool experience.

One thing though - take the wetsuit.
I did not and it was a 60 degree day with winds ... As soon as I launched I took on water from an oncoming wave.
Then about 30 minutes into my trip - mystery water came out of now where and started creeping up my back. The seats will be wet and although I didn't fall into the water.... I was definitely wet on my bum, legs and back! If you don't want the wet suit - bring a change of clothes for after.
Oh and a watch! we didn't have one and went back early in fear of passing the cut off time for rental!

Syracuse, New York
5 attraction reviews
“Fantastic Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

My friend, and I signed up for the Natural History 3 hour kayaking tour, and it was amazing! Firstly, the staff was incredible! I believe our guide's name was Tyler, and I would most certainly recommend him! He was so knowledgable about the area, and the wildlife, as well as kayaking techniques. It was such a relaxed setting, it was really enjoyable to paddle at our own pace, and we got to see plenty of sea lions, seals, otters, and star fish! It was absolutely amazing to see these beautiful creatures in their habitats!!

Northern California
“Get up close and personal with marine life”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

I was in Monterey for a week with some friends in a bike club. Our focus as riding, but we also hiked at Point Lobos, did some whale watching and kayaked. We saw all the marine life that everyone else has already talked about and it was a highlight of our trip. The water was a little choppy even though we went in the morning to avoid afternoon winds, but it only made for more fun and a great upper body workout. The kayaks are very comfortable, with back rests and grooves to brace your feet in. You are outfitted with a wet suit (bring a bathing suit or leggings or just undies to wear underneath - you will get wet), water resistant jacket, and life jacket. Wear some kind of water shoes, hat, sunscreen, and sunglasses. I took my camera out in a dry bag and got lots and lots of good pics. It was such a treat to see the terrace of the aquarium from the bay - as I've only watched others kayaking in the bay from the terrace so many times before.

I can't say enough good things about Andrew. Although my friends and I went out on our own as opposed to taking a tour, Andrew coached us thoroughly and with great enthusiasm and good humor. Not only did he get us out into the water one at a time, he watched for us to come back and met each one of us for a smooth ride to shore. I'm not sure if he leads tours (probably does), but if so - he would be the one to go with - very knowledgeable and like I said - enthusiastic and friendly!

Avondale, Pennsylvania
22 attraction reviews
“Great Staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

Kayaking in Monterey Bay was pretty fun. We went out in the afternoon and were able to paddle around and see plenty of starfish and sea lions. Because we were somewhat limited on time (they close at 6PM) we weren't able to make it all the way to the aquarium and back; however, we did go into the harbor and see lots of sea life attached to some of the walls (starfish etc.)

The staff was extremely helpful. I don't remember her name but one of the girls helped tell us where to go to see the best sea life and gave us some tips with regards to how to paddle most effectively and things like that (even though we knew how to kayak). She was very personable and seemed to enjoy her job and interacting with us a lot. For $30 a person, the prices were what I was expecting for kayaking in Monterey Bay.

Visited September 2013
Feilding, New Zealand
25 attraction reviews
“Seeing otters”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

We happened across Monterey Kayaks while out walking after arriving late afternoon. Kayaking at Monterery was on our 'maybe we could do this' list. The people were very helpful, the equipment in good order, the hire price pretty reasonable. We are competent kayakers and thought we were capable of exploring by ourselves, which we were. To take out the sit-in kayaks we had to prove we knew how to do a self paddle float rescue, tick. All good. The only thing we didn't realise until we had paid and were pretty much ready to go was we had a very small limit on where we could go, not past the Aquarium (3 km max), which was very disappointing. It would have been good to at least have been able to go out to the headland (approx 6-7km). We made the most of the hire, meandering around in and out of rocks and harbour stopping to just watch the wildlife play and lunch along the way. Originally I thought perhaps the water was more tricky around further and it was a safety thing but during our afternoon bike ride we saw many kayakers paddling around the bays further around the peninsular. I guess there was a different reason for the restriction.
BUT a BIG plus....seeing the sea otters, that was a highlight!

Visited August 2013