“Pleasant stay” 4 of 5 stars

You added Days Inn Monterey Downtown to your Saves list
Days Inn Monterey Downtown
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   850 Abrego Street, Monterey, CA 93940   |
Ranked #29 of 53 Hotels in Monterey

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Scunthorpe
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

The Days Inn Downtown Monterey was a great place to stay for one night. Very clean, comfortable rooms, free wifi, and minutes from Fishermans Wharf. We drove from San Francisco and found the hotel without issue, and we very pleased.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Alpharetta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

I was on a 15 day tour that started in San Diego and ended in Seattle and this was one of our stops for the night. We had a long day leaving from San Luis Obispo in the morning, touring Hearst Castle then visiting Carmel and exploring the 17 scenic mile drive in Monterey, by the time we arrived at the hotel it was dinner time and I was exhausted.

My room was on the 3rd floor of the Annex building across the street. The room was quite large but the decor and furnishings were very dated. I was stumped as to why there was no A/C in the room (I guess it doesn't get hot here because they had heat but no A/C). I cracked the windows open when I went to bed and around 4:30am I was awakened by chirping seagulls, can't blame the hotel for that but seems like all the rooms should have A/C (this is 2013 afterall!).

The free breakfast was just okay, nothing fancy just your basic cereal's some toast danish and so on. I was glad to leave here and go onto our next stop in San Francisco. I never had time to walk down to the pier, was too tired by the time I finished dinner and just went back to the room and crashed.

If I stayed in this area in the future I would probably stay at the Best Western that was nearby, the Days Inn needs a serious makeover!

Room Tip: Find another hotel if possible!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Lutterworth, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

Very quick check in.
Rooms a little small - was in a double queen - one of the beds was only a foot away from the A/C made it a little difficult to get in and out of bed.
Shower was very poor, could not get any hot water.
Unless you get a good rate, suggest you stay somewhere else.

Room Tip: Look at your room before you take it - remember try the shower.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

We were traveling between Santa Monica and San Francisco over a 4 day period and the Days Inn in Monterey seemed to be a suitable location to stop over for a night.

Monteray itself was absolutley beautiful and I would recommend it to anyone. The Days Inn however did leave a little to be desired. Saying that though we did not spent an exuberant amount to stay here as we booked well in advance. The Room was clean and had everything you would need; Coffee machine, fridge, microwave etc, but it was just incredibly tired looking. The sheets didn't look crisp and white any more and the decore was very dated. Judgind by otherpeoples photos and reviews i think we may have got the last room as we did arrive later in the day. We certainly didn't have a Sea view or a jacuzzi in our room.

The hotel is about a 10 minute walk from the sea but its not an inconvienient walk at all, and your close enough to the sea to still hear the Sea Lions! Other than this we didn't experience any noise or interuptions during our stay.

There is an additonal building accross the road which is part of the Days Inn and I would suspect that the rooms there are a little better with much more chance of a glimpse of the sea from the higher level rooms!

Breakfast was limited to cereal / toast / danish pastries which was pleasant enough. I had a cup of tea that wasn't half as bad as you would expect it to be in the USA but I'm told the coffee wasn't great, But heys its a free breakfast so I wouldn't lose sleep over the lack of options available. The only thing about breakfast which was a little intimidating was the woman clock watching and taking food away from the work counter on the approach to 10am. The doors were promptly shut at 9.59 and that was the end of breakfast!

It would have been helpful if the gentleman on reception had advised us of the breakfast times / checkout times / wifi and parking info but when I re-visited him to ask such questions he was nice and friendly.

God knows where the swimming pool and fitness centre was?!

Maybe an information pack in the room would be something to consider for future guests?

Room Tip: Arrive earlier and request a sea view room
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Days Inn Monterey Downtown? Share your experiences!