“Great location great rooms” 5 of 5 stars

Days Inn Monterey Downtown
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   850 Abrego Street, Monterey, CA 93940   |
Ranked #28 of 53 hotels in Monterey
Salinas, California
“Great location great rooms”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2011

My wife and I just stayed there two weekends ago and the rooms were very clean and big. Even had a view of the ocean. If you are looking for a nice hotel in Monterey that is close to downtown and a good value this is your place.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

421 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2011 via mobile

Rooms were big, clean and we even had an ocean view. Downtown is just a couple blocks away. Definitely recommend to anyone visiting Monterey or even locals who want a night away.

• Stayed December 2011
Redwood City, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2011

I wanted everything for next to nothing - a huge whirlpool tub, a fireplace, and all for less than one hundred and fifty dollars. I got it, but with some trade-offs. The room was actually a sitting room and bedroom, big, had a fireplace, king bed and whirlpool, and a skylight over the tub. Only problem: the skylight was completely caked over with bird droppings. Not really the hotel's fault, but not really romantic to gaze up and see....guano.

Breakfast was basic for a continental - slightly stale, nothing very appealing, but nothing actively offensive. Close enough to walk to the free trolley to the Aquarium.

Overall, I'd probably stay there again, but with so many different hotels in Monterey to try relatively cheaply, I'd probably not go too far out of my way to do so.

Room Tip: Only one room with a fireplace and large tub, upstairs on the end.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2011

Picked this Day's Inn at the last minute while on the road with an old AAA guide book only by price and location to downtown Monterey.

The price seemed "right" for us when I called the motel while on the road the evening of my stay. We reserved the room over the phone and gave our credit card which I was reluctant to do.
We requested a king bed and got a "smallish" room with a king bed when we arrived late that evening. I didn't realize that there was NO boxspring under the mattress until I was ready for bed and pulled back the bedspread. The bed was extremely hard and I did not sleep well. Everything else about the place seemed tired and lackluster since we had stayed at another Day's Inn in Morro Bay the night before for $13 less (fabulous and large king size room).

Please note this is NOT downtown but in a commercial area with LOTS of other motels including another Day's Inn a short distance down the street! We had to drive to get to the marina and pier and further for Cannery Row.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Gilroy, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2011

I received appalling customer service at this Days Inn (Located on: 850 Abrego Street, Monterey, CA 93940). Upon arriving at this Days Inn, the staff appeared uninterested in providing a welcoming service and was very unhelpful with any questions I had about the area. Unfortunately, this experience has influenced me enough to never want to stay with any of the Days Inn locations.

Room Tip: Please research reviews.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Henderson, Nevada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2011

I had reservations for 3 days at this hotel. Price and location were the attraction. Later called and canceled reservations. The beginning of the next month I got charged for one night stay on my credit card..
Conversations with manager was not good. First my cancellation # not valid. Where else would I have received this number?
Then it was a no show charge. For the middle of the 3 days I was to stay there. Manager tells me then that would have been the billing date. Tells me have to cancel within 72 hours. Now I have to show phone bill of the date of the call. (I have yet to receive that, but certainly will make copy and send to him)
Finally he told me if I was dissatisfied to call MasterCard. I had already done that.
Hopefully we can get this straightened out in time.
As for the property, read the other reviews. Not too many 5 star ratings.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Sacramento, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2011

My family stayed at the hotel for 2 days as a part of our trip to the aquarium. There are 2 buildings in the complex: main and oceanview (just across the street). We booked an oceanview room. The room was big (as being seen at a photo) and well furnished (good for families with children). Carpet was old but clean. The building has an elevator. no problem with parking. However, the hotel needs money to invest in remodeling. Towels were worn out with holes. a shower head was broken. paint on the window was peeled off. The hotel is definitely overpriced. Location is great. 5 min walk to WAVE trolley ( free ride across the town). 7-10 min to the Dennis the Menace park; a short distance to Fisherman's Wharf; abundance of restaurants around

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family

Been to Days Inn Monterey Downtown? Share your experiences!