“Good location, but not impressed” 3 of 5 stars

Otter Inn
2.5 of 5 Inn   |   571 Wave St., Monterey, CA 93940   |
Ranked #5 of 12 Monterey B&B and Inns
Casselberry, Florida
“Good location, but not impressed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

We loved the location of our hotel and appreciated the affordability. I also liked that we had a parking garage. However, the staff when we checked in was unprofessional and left us uneasy. Our room was definitely older and had a faint cigarette smell still. Mixed reviews for us.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Vacaville, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

the staff was pleasent and had a smile when i checked in.they gave me a big basket of snacks,pastries,nuts,chex mix,and granola bars.to me that was great i didn't have to go to the lobby in the morning for breakfast.had a great ocean view from our room #411 and a short walk to cannery row.sure it's a bit dated but i would rather have it like that than have them remodel and charge twice the price.everything was clean that is important to me and also it's aaa rated.the room was good size and i would say a aaa 2 star rating.nothing fancy,very basic.the location and view and price paid i would say is a good value.and free parking.when i stay at fishermans whaf in san francisco it's 36 bucks a nite just to park.happy people will love this place and people who nitpick will pick this place apart.they should spend at least 4 times the price and pay for a great room that they will be happy with.me i'll take the otter inn and save money.had a great time.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Lancaster, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

This is about a block from the main action in Cannery Row. We were very impressed with the staff, very friendly, helpful and accomodating. The room was fine. They gave us a basket of breakfast pastries, etc. when we checked in and they were enough to last for several days, as it turned out. The price was fantastic for the value.

Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Santa Barbara, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

I am a local Monterey person who likes to stay oceanfront. I love this hotel and will make it my only choice from now on. For me its a 5 star experience for a reasonable affordable price. The front desk staff is professional, kind and friendly. Check in was a breeze. First they give you a gift basket full of snacks. Well done! The 2nd person on staff asked if I needed help with bags.. What a top notch service! I asked for a fireplace and jacuzzi, done. They even have a elevator and underground parking right next to the front desk. It was well lit and very safe at night. Parking is free. The parking garaage is large. The room is ocean front, with a lovely window seat over the ocean view, fireplace and great big tub. The area was so quiet I slept like a baby. The room was very very clean,-not a speck of dust! Room was well appointed and I appreicated that they offered another if I did not like it. In the moring the clening staff was quiet and does not bother. They even have a late check out (!) so I enjoyed sleeping in and taking my time. I really would change nothing. For those of us looking for a get a way for less dollars this is a true find. I have stayed in high priced hotels in the area with much less service., I appreciate their attention to the comfort and well being of their guests. Lovely place ! Booking my next visit. Acrosss the street is Book Buyers a fabulous used bookstore and starbucks is right on Cannery Row. Good restaurants to choose from and everything in walking distance. You are right on the recreation trail so you can walk out and be waterfront. Perfect stay, all in all a 5 star experience for great service, how clean it is, quiet and well located. A real find in Monterey. Book the Otter Inn you will be glad you did.

Room Tip: 3rd floor top left corner you can see the entire bay
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
San Diego, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

It's interesting reading the reviews prior to adding my own. This is a hotel that could be much more with a little effort. The rooms are a good size, housekeeping does a good job and the location is spectacular. Most everything you need to build a first rate hotel are there, but the owners have obviously decided in favor of a quick buck rather than invest in the development of the property. The guy on the front desk was hospitable, although obviously very tired. He was friendly, helpful and genuine. Was he professional? No, but he could be. The room was clean, amenities were basic, but it lacked all character. It was a room for a character from Kafka. I smoke. Yes, I know I shouldn't. However, each time I stepped outside I was irritated by the fact that there was not one ashtray to be found. What I did find, however, were cigarette butts all over the place on the concrete stairs. And, they were not picked up the next day. Come on folks, people still smoke so don't make them and the non-smoking guests suffer. Put out some ashtrays. My real complaint: the heater. Seriously, walk up to CVS, which is one block away and buy yourself your own heater if you prefer not to freeze to death. I no longer live on the Monterey Peninsula, but I did live there for 19 years. The Peninsula is almost always cold in the evening. Their heater is good enough to heat an area of about 20 square feet. Take a shower? Not on my life! It's too cold to take a shower. What did I like? The price is great, so raise it a little and give the guests a little more. I'll stay there again, but I hope I see some investments in this wannabee gem.

Room Tip: I believe most rooms are about the same. I doubt there's a bad room or one much better than ano...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Fresno, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

We have been coming to the Otter Inn for several years now and always look forward to our next visit. This hotel is not pretentious and does not put on airs, but you definitely get the best bang for your buck here. The rooms are clean and are perfect for what we need, a clean room where we can rest, but be close enough to all the places that we wish to visit. Christine and Gabe do their best to make your stay a pleasurable one and go out of their way to make their visitors happy. I have fibromyalgia and it's extremely uncomfortable and difficult to get a good nights rest..., but I sleep very well on the beds they have in the rooms. They have refrigerators in the rooms, so we have space to keep important meds cold and also whatever else we might like to keep in the room with us. There are plenty of stations available on the tv and you can also hook games up to the tv to play. The wi fi is much improved and actually is working faster than my highspeed wi fi at home. It has been a joy to keep up with my online games at night when I am relaxing. This hotel is one street up from Cannery Row and a couple of blocks from the Monterey Bay Aquarium. If you want an expensive pretentious hotel, go elsewhere. If you would like a quiet, clean hotel where you can spend your hard earned money on your family having a great time, instead of the hotel room..., this is your place. Christine and Gabe are always willing to help you plan your perfect vacation..., give them a call.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
New York, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

I just stayed at the Otter inn this past weekend for a wedding and to also run part of the Big Sur half marathon course and opted to stay at the Otter inn since it's the only hotel I could afford within walking distance to the Monterey Bay aquarium.

As for the room, mine was very clean and I was happy with the room. I stayed on the 4th floor. For the amenities, there was free wifi (pretty good overall though I had to ask the front desk receptionist to reset the router at one point when I could get signal but no internet). There was also FREE parking!!! That was an added bonus. Though the parking lot looks small, I never had an issue looking for a parking spot and the hotel was full this past weekend!

It's not the intercontinental but it is a basic hotel that offers the minimum in accommodations. I was barely in my hotel room and felt that this hotel was perfect for my needs. Awesome service. Overall I was happy!

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the 2nd floor. Doing so you'll have a real window (on the 4th floor my wind...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends