“Basic, but could be much better.” 3 of 5 stars

Otter Inn
571 Wave St., Monterey, CA 93940   |
Ranked #5 of 12 Monterey B&B and Inns
San Diego, California
“Basic, but could be much better.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

It's interesting reading the reviews prior to adding my own. This is a hotel that could be much more with a little effort. The rooms are a good size, housekeeping does a good job and the location is spectacular. Most everything you need to build a first rate hotel are there, but the owners have obviously decided in favor of a quick buck rather than invest in the development of the property. The guy on the front desk was hospitable, although obviously very tired. He was friendly, helpful and genuine. Was he professional? No, but he could be. The room was clean, amenities were basic, but it lacked all character. It was a room for a character from Kafka. I smoke. Yes, I know I shouldn't. However, each time I stepped outside I was irritated by the fact that there was not one ashtray to be found. What I did find, however, were cigarette butts all over the place on the concrete stairs. And, they were not picked up the next day. Come on folks, people still smoke so don't make them and the non-smoking guests suffer. Put out some ashtrays. My real complaint: the heater. Seriously, walk up to CVS, which is one block away and buy yourself your own heater if you prefer not to freeze to death. I no longer live on the Monterey Peninsula, but I did live there for 19 years. The Peninsula is almost always cold in the evening. Their heater is good enough to heat an area of about 20 square feet. Take a shower? Not on my life! It's too cold to take a shower. What did I like? The price is great, so raise it a little and give the guests a little more. I'll stay there again, but I hope I see some investments in this wannabee gem.

Room Tip: I believe most rooms are about the same. I doubt there's a bad room or one much better than ano...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Fresno, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

We have been coming to the Otter Inn for several years now and always look forward to our next visit. This hotel is not pretentious and does not put on airs, but you definitely get the best bang for your buck here. The rooms are clean and are perfect for what we need, a clean room where we can rest, but be close enough to all the places that we wish to visit. Christine and Gabe do their best to make your stay a pleasurable one and go out of their way to make their visitors happy. I have fibromyalgia and it's extremely uncomfortable and difficult to get a good nights rest..., but I sleep very well on the beds they have in the rooms. They have refrigerators in the rooms, so we have space to keep important meds cold and also whatever else we might like to keep in the room with us. There are plenty of stations available on the tv and you can also hook games up to the tv to play. The wi fi is much improved and actually is working faster than my highspeed wi fi at home. It has been a joy to keep up with my online games at night when I am relaxing. This hotel is one street up from Cannery Row and a couple of blocks from the Monterey Bay Aquarium. If you want an expensive pretentious hotel, go elsewhere. If you would like a quiet, clean hotel where you can spend your hard earned money on your family having a great time, instead of the hotel room..., this is your place. Christine and Gabe are always willing to help you plan your perfect vacation..., give them a call.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
New York, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

I just stayed at the Otter inn this past weekend for a wedding and to also run part of the Big Sur half marathon course and opted to stay at the Otter inn since it's the only hotel I could afford within walking distance to the Monterey Bay aquarium.

As for the room, mine was very clean and I was happy with the room. I stayed on the 4th floor. For the amenities, there was free wifi (pretty good overall though I had to ask the front desk receptionist to reset the router at one point when I could get signal but no internet). There was also FREE parking!!! That was an added bonus. Though the parking lot looks small, I never had an issue looking for a parking spot and the hotel was full this past weekend!

It's not the intercontinental but it is a basic hotel that offers the minimum in accommodations. I was barely in my hotel room and felt that this hotel was perfect for my needs. Awesome service. Overall I was happy!

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the 2nd floor. Doing so you'll have a real window (on the 4th floor my wind...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Hawaii
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

Ok, so I agree with others that it is a very basic motel, BUT what you get is a good price point, covered parking, clean room, and a good location. That said, don't let your expectations ruin your stay. If you want 400 thread count, stay at the Intercontinental, but it'll cost you. If what you're after is a decent place to stay with a good bed and shower, then this ought to do the trick. Staff is generally quite nice and they try to accommodate your requests. If you ask them to make the Sea Gulls shut up, sorry no can do and you'll likely get a puzzled look to your request. Personally, I felt safe here and felt that my car was safe parked here. I was here during Monterey weekend and even eyed some expensive Ferraris parked in the lot! Hey, if it's good enough for them.... All in all it goes with the expectation. Take it for what it is and nothing more, get a good night's sleep and spend your savings on a round of golf at Pebble Beach.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

I had a great time at the Otter Inn - welcoming front desk, great location, easy free parking, comfortable room and an excellent price. Will come again. The view from the King bed room was lovely and the Monterey Bay Aquarium was an easy three block walk. Fisherman's Wharf was also an easy and gorgeous walk along the seashore. The Cannery Row area is full of fun restaurants and shops.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Geneva, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

If you are headed to cannery row and the aquarium and on a budget than it's great both in location and price.
No problem with the reception, I would even say that it's nice to know that employees can be somehow different.
No real breakfast (small food basket) but that’s not a real problem.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

We left our booking a little late so unfortunately had few options where to stay in Monterey.

This motel is in a great location near Cannery Row and the aquarium, but unfortunately it seems to be the only plus for this place.

The room felt unsafe as direct access from the street was too easy. Walls are very thin and you could hear other guests above and on either side of the room.

The bathroom also had an unpleasant smell.

The beds were covered with food-stained velour bed spreads.

The wi-fi hardly worked as the system was being upgraded at the time of our stay.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Been to Otter Inn? Share your experiences!