“Don't stay here!” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #35 of 53 Hotels in Monterey
California
“Don't stay here!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2013

Our room faced Alverado. Stayed on a Friday and I got NO sleep because it was so noisy! Kept thinking, I paid for this?? So noisy it was as if our bed was actually in a bar. Aargh!! Avoid if you have kiddos. Pay the extra cash and stay elsewhere. Buyer beware!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Cambria, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

I read TripAdvisor reviews before reserving my 1 night stay at this charmer. The draw was it's location and history. With that location - right in the middle of the historic Monterey downtown - it shouldn't be a surprise that there is noise from traffic and the restaurants along Alvarado Street. It's less than a 5 minute walk to Fisherman's Wharf so yes, there are seagulls. The surrounding streets have old adobes and historic buildings an easy stroll away. Good cafes and restaurants also on the same block. The place was built in 1904 so it doesn't have the insulation that more bland and modern hotels will have so if that's not ok, this isn't the place for you. In my opinion, it's part of the charm. Knew there was no elevator but asked for a room with a view which meant 3 flights up. So it took a couple of trips with our bags (and the very professional and friendly gal who checked us in asked if we wanted help, so that is available for those who want it). The view was over the rooftops to the bay and hills, which afforded us a spectacular view of a full moonrise over the water. Earplugs are provided. I am a light sleeper, but once the live music at the cafe across the street ended around 10pm on a Sunday night, it was fine.
There is a parking garage up the street just east of Alvarado one block. The gal who checked us in told us if we found a spot on the street Sunday afternoon (which we did) it was fine as long as we moved it before 10am Monday morning. No meters, so free if that timing works for you.
I would return to stay here again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013 via mobile

The hotel rooms are small. Nice bathrooms with granite floors. Ceiling fan as there was no A/C.

I had to close window at 2:00AM due to loud talking outside and cigarette smoke entering room.

One reviewer , wngrl must have snored through all the commotion. This hotel is ok for limited stay. The staff, especially Chris was outstanding.

Early morning valet girl was slow getting our car out.

• Stayed October 2013
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013 via mobile

I found the deal on travelzoo. Called the hotel directly and got a very helpful front desk person ( female ) who found me a quiet room (205) away from the noise of the street. She told me it had no view but it was the most quet of the rooms. She was right. Small room with average size bathroom. Nice overhead ceiling fan( as there is no AC!) two big windows to let cool air in with plantation shutters. Walgreens and a cute bar is two doors down. Located in a busy area of town with many restaurants and shops. A few homeless were noted but no panhandlers around the areas.
Incidentally the front desk gentleman went to my High school in Warner Robins Georgia and sent up a bottle of wine for us! If you are in a budget and can find this hotel discounted I would recommend. Wouldn't pay rack rate price however.

• Stayed October 2013
Key Largo, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

My fiancee and i traveled here in late September for two nights in a king room overlooking the main street. We loved the old world charm of the hotel and had a great stay. I had seen a lot of complaints about the noise, but for anyone who has lived in a city before it is quite calm. The staff was very friendly and the complimentary breakfast a great big plus. The hotel is centrally located in the heart of Monterey and everything is an easy walk from the hotel including fishermans wharf, the monterey aquarium, and cannery row. There is also a great farmers market that sets up every week with great food and entertainment. We will definately be back!

Room Tip: There is no elevator, but the higher up you are the better the bay view
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Bristol, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

I booked this hotel as I was having difficulty finding somewhere in the Carmel/Monterey area for the weekend and I needed two rooms [didn't realise that the jazz festival was on!]
The hotel is old and quaint, situated on the main street [Alvarado Street] - it is beautifully clean, the rooms are in need of a little updating but fine, the staff were very friendly and helpful BUT....
if you stay here do not under any circumstances allow them to give you a room which faces the street! The noise levels at night are horrendous - the earplugs provided on the bedside table are a big clue - things didn't quiet down until 3am even with earplugs!
the complimentary continental breakfast provided is good but I'm afraid we won't be staying here again.

Room Tip: insist on a room at the back!!!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

Lovely Victorian in Downtown Monterey
This hotel is Located in downtown "Old Monterey" I loved it!! The staff was very attentive and our room was lovely... I personally look for unique hotels and this one was perfect. I took my two daughters on a college tour. They thought that that the hotel was great... Plus they found out the hotel was suppose to be haunted which made them want to explore it more... Made it a fun adventure! You can also hear the seagulls which I really enjoyed.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Been to Monterey Hotel? Share your experiences!