“Great location, friendly staff, and quaint!” 4 of 5 stars

Monterey Hotel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   406 Alvarado Street, Monterey, CA 93940-2711   |
Ranked #37 of 53 hotels in Monterey
Fresno, California, United States
“Great location, friendly staff, and quaint!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

I have walked past this hotel on numerous occasions and finally booked a room this visit to Monterey. The location is great, just a couple blocks from Fisherman's wharf and Cannery Row is a leisurely 10 minute stroll on the marked trail on foot. This isn't more than a 2 star or so hotel. No gym, pool, etc. There is a spa there and if you step outside, Pubs, restaurants, theatres, coffee shops...you are IN downtown Monterey!. Room wasn't big at all. I was on 4th floor so even tho my queen suite was on the side, I was high enough to have a water view (standing and looking out) and a view down the other side. If I was drinking (more than I did) I would really dread that 4 flights of stairs as there is no elevator. This hotel was built in 1904 and the oldest around or maybe even in Cali and is charming with furniture and original flavor to match. I never use a gym or crap when visiting Monterey. If you are wanting a large fancy room and to be pampered with amenities, this isn't your place. If you want a quaint room and very friendly staff that stay out of your way unless needed, the location can't be beat.

Room Tip: I booked online and got a deal. Kings are facing front of building. Queens are all on the side (an...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

241 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

I didn't have a choice but to stay here to go to a conference nearby, and we were on a budget, so the only place that was doable was this one, but even then I think this place is overpriced (maybe it's the whole town that's overpriced, not sure..), because it's kind of drab. Maybe if you like vintage style without style you might like it (well, the decorations are not to fine taste, it just seems old. I felt it was more like early 90s suburban, rather than fancy 20s).
Everything was quite average, nothing exceptional. The only reason I stayed there was because of availability and price in that immediate area, and it will stay that way.
That said, there was nothing really wrong with the place either, the front desk person was ok, the room and the bathroom were average. I didn't find anything dirty or broken.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
La Canada Flintridge, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

I booked this hotel when I was attending a conference. The conference hotels ran about twice the cost as this one and this hotel is very close to the conference center and within walking distance to the sights. As others have said, this is a very charming, quaint, vintage hotel. Rooms are small but that didn't bother me. The worn carpet and no elevator also did not bother me. The staff are ultra friendly and I thought the complementary breakfast was great (bagels, muffins, juice, coffee, cereal, yogurt - really a nice spread for being complimentary) Also, the free wi-fi was nice as a friend told me that the Portola charges for wi-fi. HOWEVER....the noise is just a joke. The first night there was some hippie-ish peace, love and freedom group with a flute, drum and 3 chanters that were doing a group chant outside on the street for over an hour. Okay, I thought, it's still the weekend and they ended at a reasonable hour, that's probably as bad as it'll get. Not so fast. At 4:18 the next morning a truck was unloading something and left it's radio blaring. It woke me out of a such a sound sleep that at first I thought it was the radio alarm, when hitting snooze didn't work, I thought it must be my cellphone, then realized it was coming from the street! Okay, I thought, noisy radios could happen on occasion, just my bad luck it had to happen on a day I was staying at this hotel. I chuckled about it the next day and even joked to other conference attendees about my little "noise saga." I mistakenly thought the worst was over. It was not. Tonight, a Monday evening, a punk rock band is doing a gig at the Golden State Theatre. NO JOKE, you can read about it in the Monterey Weekly at: http://www.montereycountyweekly.com/news/2012/oct/18/punk-healing/ . The Golden State Theater is almost right across the street from The Monterey Hotel. Their website is http://www.goldenstatetheatre.com/ My suggestion is to check out what events they have scheduled at the Golden State Theater before you book at this hotel because whether or not you are actually going to the concert, you will definitely be hearing the concert! I have one more night that still remains to be heard. What others have said about hearing people in the hotel and in the surrounding rooms, I have not found to be troublesome. It is just the incessant street party that seems to be going on outside that is why I will most likely NOT come here again. I am a light sleeper so maybe others who aren't would not have a problem. But, the hotel provided ear plugs (or any) don't really work to dampen the noise enough to be able to either get to sleep or stay asleep. It really is ashame because everything else about the hotel is great.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Maui, Hawaii
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

Great Place right in the heart of Old Town Monterey. Walking distance to great bars and restaurants. Very noisy from the street coming from the bars letting out. I would definitely recommend the Monterey Hotel and hope to be back.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

La Crescenta, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

we are staying at the Monterey Hotel on our anniversary. Staff were wonderful and upgraded us to a suite because it was our anniversary and surprised us with a bottle of champagne. The king suite is very lovely, furnished with antiques. Easy walking distance to Fisherman's Wharf and the Cannery. The hotel is well restored. If you are looking for a pool, room service- this is not the place for you. But if you like vintage, unique settings, this is a nice option.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Greeley, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

Last July, my adult daughter and I stayed at the Monterey Hotel, an establishment built in the early 1900s. The rooms are rather small, but all the amenities were readily available. We were most impressed with the front desk clerk, Fady H., who made gracious accommodations for several unique requests. Midweek there is a lovely local farmers' market right outside the hotel that offers colorful and vibrant scenery, lovely handcrafted goods, and organic products. One street is closed off, so call the front desk about the best plan for check-in and parking. Regardless, it's well worth the slight inconvenience. The hotel is within easy walking distance of the wharf and a local shuttle can take you to the aquarium (free of charge) and Cannery Row. Or, it's a beautiful walk along a paved path at the ocean's edge.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
london
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

Excellent location in the centre of Monterey within walking distance of everything. Hotel and room average. Clean enough. Rooms adequate but certainly not big or somewhere to dwell. No lift and we were on the fourth floor with heavy bags. Breakfast room rather bleak, toast, cereals and muffins. Fine for a short stay. Downside of location - very noisy.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Monterey Hotel? Share your experiences!