“Nice inexpensive motel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #32 of 55 Hotels in Monterey
San Carlos
“Nice inexpensive motel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013 via mobile

We stayed for just one night on a Saturday. The location was not too far from downtown. Check in was quick and easy. The room was nice - flat screen tv, comfortable bed, soft sheets. Everything was clean and the furniture seemed new. The continental breakfast in the morning was convenient and just enough for a quick snack before checking out. We'll stay here again.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
montereysurfinn, Manager at Monterey Surf Inn, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to offer this review. I am happy that you enjoyed your stay, and look forward to your return.

Adelaide, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013 via mobile

This is a great budget motel. We stayed for 1 night passing through Monterey. it is located on the main road but no problems with noise. The price was cheap, room & bathroom basic but large and clean. Free parking. if you are looking for a cheap place for a night or 2 and aren't too fussed for anything fancy.. this is great. I would stay again.

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank Aussie-Traveller598
Culver City, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I booked this hotel for a Saturday night for 2 queen beds and later changed my booking to a room with a single king. In the process I inadvertently changed the date to Friday. I was shocked and concerned when I came into town late Saturday night to find I had no room on a holiday weekend. I contacted the desk who was unable to assist at the time as the manager was out until 9pm. I later received a voicemail stating I had indeed booked for the wrong night, I was being charged for the no-show and to call back so they could assist with one of their sister properties in the area. I called back and nobody answered so I was forced to take the first room I could find anywhere else in town. Booking.com later contacted them and they apparently refused to refund the no show fee rather than credit it towards another night.

Needless to say I'm dissatisfied and will avoid them in the future out of principal. I hope they enjoy the no-show fee as it's the last dollar they'll get from me.

Room Tip: Don't make a mistake when booking, they're unwilling to compromise.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank Justin B

Travelers are raving about these Monterey hotels

Columbus, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

After a trip from San Francisco down Highway 1 to Monterey, we stayed here on December 25th. No hassles what-so-ever, very helpful and courteous service. Extremely cheap for what you receive. Comfy beds in a decent sized room. Bathroom was spotless and the shower was refreshing. I was pleasantly surprised to say the least. For the price, you absolutely cannot beat this place.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Rome, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

In summer last year, during a trip on around California, we stayed at this motel for a one-night stop. The room wasn't huge, but reasonably sized for three people, and it was clean. Due to the weather, we didn't have the chance to try the pool, but the free-breakfast in the morning was definitely a good day-starter. Considering that the price was around $60, it was surely worth it!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank andt3
Carlsbad, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

After staying at a bad hotel we decided to try this one. It had good marks on here so it was worth a try. The cost was the top thing about it that also made us try it. We thought the room was good, a bit small but adequate. It looked recently renovated. New can lights in the ceilings, new TV, new beds, paint, crown molding, etc… I think the owners son or relative did the remodel though since the sink barely worked and the door to the bathroom opened all cock-eyed. But other than that it was a great room especially since we didn’t pay that much. So it gets a big thumbs up from us. If you want a room and don’t need a view of the ocean, etc, then this place is great. Great service too. Very nice people.

Room Tip: Try to get a room farther from the road, less noise.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

Late last year on our trip along the Californian coasty we stayed at this property. we looked it up online the day we arrived into Monterey and i believe we got it for around $50 for the night!!!! OUTSTANDING value for money as we wanted a nice clean bed and cot for our 11 month old son. Its exactly whet we needed on our Road Trip!!!! They do offer Breakfast but we hit the road early and got going before it was avaiable. Great Spot!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family