“I had a wonderful stay again at this...” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Special Offer
Free High Speed Internet
Ranked #43 of 54 Hotels in Monterey
“I had a wonderful stay again at this...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2010

I had a wonderful stay again at this hotel, the staff and especially the manager were very nice and helpful to all of us! My daughter loves this place! It's a great little getaway hotel!

• Stayed September 2010

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
vacaville
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2010

I was turned on to this hotel by a fellow diver who said the rates were reasonable with a divers discount. Well they are very competetive when it comes to discounts, I paid a dollar more for this hotel because they were the first to offer me a great bargain. I could have saved a dollar somewhere else but I believe in service first . Sure cost is important but its only a dollar and they are both reputable hotels. I( stayed in one last month in Moterey that left a lot to be desired, and from reading all the reviews on the basic hotels, Im guessing that they are all pretty run down anyway, and that they all need some TLC. But I spoke with Jennifer and she is very proffessiona and I just feel welcome there already. I am only staying for the one night, so it wont really matter if the furniture is new or if the maid makes my bead or brings me fresh soap the next day. I will follow up with an afterwards review when I return home sometime next week. Thanks for reading, K

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2010

Really enjoyed our stay here. We stayed in a variety of hotels on our trip and this was probably best value for money. Clean, friendly, large rooms. Near a road but not noisy. There's a pool, gym and a laundry room (which was busy) and there's restaurants near by as well as their own breakfast place.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
Dallas, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2010

I stayed for two days. In my opinion it's decent if you want something pretty basic. I was comfortable. If you want luxury and totally new you won't get it here. Here are my pros and cons.

Pros: Free breakfast. They had cereal in the big canisters(Rice krispies, raisin brand, wheat thins and corn flakes). Banana, apples, broiled egg, breads & various muffins and bagels. Folgers cofee no cream just the skim milk and 2% milk. Juice and tea. Nice BIG eating room. It actually turns into Oh Sushi--a resturant--later on. So there is nice big tables in the room. They also have tables right outside of the breakfast area which is nice on some warm days. Breakfast from 7-10 am. I always got there early so it was not crowded. I would go back close to 10 to get one more coffee and the guy was putting stuff away but there was still muffins out and the other things. The staff are all friendly. Nice strong water pressure of the shower. Wow, that was awesome! Felt like a massage.

This hotel is right off the freeway. Down the street there is a Safeway. We went to Chillis to eat which is about 5 min away. The staff told us how to get there. It was nice.

Cons: The rooms are basic which is fine if you just want a place to stay and will be going out a lot. My batteries died in the remote but they came up within 15 min to replace them. Toilet is loud but not a biggie to me. Our sink stopped up but they fixed it right away. You will hear planes flying by and a few times it seem like the plane was going to land on the hotel (just the sound of it). It's loud enough where I had to turn up the T. V. Again for me not a real biggie. It's not their fault that they are near an airport. At times they seem to fly consistently then other times it's pretty quiet. It's a hotel I believe that allows dogs (which I hate), I seen one person with a little dog. There was dog poop near the stairs. I was on the second floor. We had to walk to the main lobby to get to the breakfast which is not far. I don't know if they have rooms on the floor of the lobby area. To be honest, I really didn't pay much attention. I could hear people talking outside. I could actually hear their conversation LOL. They have a microwave and mini refrigerator in the room. There was a shortage in it so we had to just move the plug a little and it stayed on. I didn't report it since it stayed on. I didn't use the microwave but be careful. My daughter did and it burned her pop tart. Now the parking lot is pretty full late at night. One night we could not park close to where our room was but park in the front of the hotel.

So overall it's ok for the price. I would recommend to a friend if their budget is tight, but if I had the money, I want to stay at a place that is newer and luxurious. I don't want to stay here again.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Riverside, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2010

I booked this room for the ALMS race at Laguna Seca instead of camping with my friends at the track (due to the raceway's policy on additional vehicles).

I was very impressed by how well maintained the property is (the buildings appear to be at least 50 years old) and how attentive the staff is. I was given an upper floor room with a balcony overlooking the pool deck, and enjoyed it immensely.
The room had a refrig, microwave, coffeemaker, cable TV and high-speed wireless available in-room.

The only inconvenience I found is that for a property of this size it only has one ice machine (like that takes away more than 1/10 of a point).

We would have stayed here again this past May if my wife approved of the location (she wanted to stay within walking distance of the downtown area), and if/when I make the trip solo again I will strongly consider staying here again.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled solo
New Zealand
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2010

While the hotel looks good from the outside, our room felt and looked tired with old and tired furniture. The property wasn't busy during our stay however there were a couple of things that caused me to mark down this property:
1. The laundry room is in need of a lot of work. One side of the wall has disintegrated from leaking water, water also covered half of the floor. The drier sounded and felt hot while doing a very bad job in drying clothes.
2. During breakfast the attendant cleaned his mop on the sink next to where the hot drinks and breakfast were laid out. This was a very hygienically bad practice, and he was doing it in front of a couple of other guests.
Gym was a room with a couple of treadmills.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
San Francisco Bay Area
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2010

Reception: We were greeted warmly by Jennifer herself, who was quite pleased to hear about such positive reviews on TripAdvisor (the reason we booked this motel). We were put in our room promptly, an upper room with a nice balcony with two plastic chairs.

Room: The room was a little smaller than I'd expected, but then again, there's just me and my kid, so it was fine. It has an oddly large entry area (perfect for storing your golf clubs, etc.) and an in-room safe for which you get charged $1/day. There are hangers, hooks, and a shelf for your luggage. In the room itself, there is a large cabinet with a nice (large but not flat-screen) TV (no DVD). The cabinet has drawers, and there is another chest-of-drawers next to the bed as well. The fridge and microwave that I'd expected were there, but a nice touch was a business desk and floor lamp. (Unfortunately, the plug is extremely hard to reach!)

Bathroom: the sink is outside the bath/toilet area, like a Motel 6, and offers face soap, bath soap, and shampoo (no conditioner in sight). Small coffeemaker with only regular coffee but all condiments in sight. Shower room has a fan (not always a guarantee!).

Site: Very easy to find; I took the Fremont St exit and spotted it right before the freeway joined up again. One of those nice, arched reception-parking areas right out front.

Internet: There is WiFi in the room, free! It's pretty slow but not unusable. Requires logging in again at times, but honestly, not having to go to the Business Center is totally worth it.

Noise: The TV is phenomenally loud, so I cautioned my kid to turn it down often--but we *never* heard our neighbors, not once, even though they were apparently totally booked up. We were on the street side, so we did hear street noise (it is *right* off the freeway), but the curtains blocked the sound pretty well and we slept like babies. You can hear hallway noise pretty clearly, so thankfully, there wasn't really much of that.

Maid service: the room was made up, towels on the floor replaced, and new toiletries (no conditioner, which is a bummer) provided every day. (I am a sucker for hotel soap, and theirs were especially nice.) Totally unobtrusive.

Breakfast: The included breakfast is served starting from 7AM, which was especially nice for our early golf morning, and until 10AM, great for late risers. There are several cereals, bagels, English muffins, and quick breads available, including use of a toaster, butter, cream cheese, and jelly. Juices, coffee (including decaf--both a bit on the weak side), and soda were available. There were also hard-boiled eggs out. One sunny morning, we even got to eat outside, a lovely touch.

Pool: The pool was COLD! I don't think it's heated continuously. The front desk had said 80 degrees when we checked in; no way. Under 65, I'm sure. And...

Safety: the pool gates were constantly left ajar. The current springs are NOT closing the gates, and although they do have latches high up, which is safer for kids, not closing is a safety hazard. Also, our floor's fire extinguisher box was empty. These two things did give me pause.

Light: The room is somewhat dim, which is annoying. There are lamps at each side of the bed and a floor lamp next to the desk, but they all have compact flourescents, which are not putting out a lot of light. On the other hand, the heavy drapes block the outdoor light very well.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family

Been to Travelodge Monterey Bay? Share your experiences!