“A Surprising Gem!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #55 of 261 Restaurants in Monterey
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Outdoor seating
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Welcome to our Trattoria. We’re an informal, rustic restaurant featuring traditional Monterey Old Fisherman’s Wharf fare alongside authentic rustic Italian.It’s the kind of place where as soon as you step in, you feel like one of the family. Paluca is a combination of the names of our two cherished boys, Paolo & Luca, who are the inspiration behind our unique home-style eatery.Your host, Sal Tedesco, was born in Sicily and grew up the son of one of the famous Italian fisherman who gave the Wharf its name. We feature Monterey Old Fisherman’s Wharf favorites including our famous Fish & Chips, Calamari & Clam Chowder. Our menu highlights some of Italy’s best dishes including Pasta Puttanesca, Pasta Palermo & Sicilian Prawns.The Tedesco family welcomes you with heart-felt Italian hospitality.
Terrytown, Louisiana
“A Surprising Gem!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

My husband and I were on Fisherman's Wharf in Monterey, CA with our golden retriever. We asked a young man in one of the gift shops for a recommendation of a restaurant for lunch and lucky for us he recommended the Paluca Trattoria. He even gave us a card for a free appetizer. We walked over and were greeted by a very nice young man who showed us to a table with a wonderful view of the marina. We asked for this table so we would be out of people's way with the dog. Since the servings were very large and it was lunch we ordered the Tagliatelle Carbonara and a salad which we split. The pasta was freshly made at the restaurant and was very good. I make carbonara at home so I know what it should taste like and it was delicious. We also had the calamari appetizer with pesto which we ordered on the advice of the young man in the gift shot. I had never had it prepared that way and found it to be wonderful. I would definitely recommend this restaurant whether or not you are traveling with a dog.

• Visited September 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

monterey
“Not many places to eat on the wharf-this is good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

One of the very, very few decent places to actually eat at on the wharf. The pastas are fresh, seafood is cooked the way you ask for it, the sauces nicely complement, the salads are good and the service is prompt and friendly. Good views, but even most of the really bad restaurants on the wharf have the view. If you actually would like to eat as well as look at the view, try this one.

Visited July 2012
Toronto, Canada
“Good food - good service - good value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

Stopped in here for a late lunch. My youngest had the pasta and marinara sauce which she polished off. I had the clam chowder in the sourdough bowl - better than most chowders I had tasted so far on the wharf. My brother had linguine alla olio - very tasty - real olive oil and properly cooked pasta. My older daughter had the fritto misto - she found the calamari tough but really enjoyed the fried cod - very crispy on the outside, nice and flaky (yet moist) on the inside. She said the fried shrimp were also good. Lunch for 4 including beers for grownups and drinks for the kids was around $70 which is one of the better bargains we've had in Monterey. Nice location - sat outside - service was good - not rushed but there when we looked for them.

CA
“Pleasant Place, Good Location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2012

The Paluca Trattoria is a tiny little restaurant at the beginning of Fisherman's Wharf. We were a fairly large group and the place is small, but with some rearranging of tables they were able to accommodate us immediately. We all found our food to be pretty good. My husband and I had the Montery Calamari, which was good, but if we go back I think I'll opt for a pasta dish next time. Others in our group were quite pleased with theirs. The service was prompt and pleasant, although we were so busy talking that we might not have noticed if it wasn't. Many of us hadn't seen one another for quite a while and had a lot of catching up to do!

We were a little leery of trying a place on the wharf, as we so often find that touristy places can rely on the power of numbers and don't always serve the best food. I was pleasantly surprised by Paluca Trattoria and, although I wouldn't make a special trip to dine there, I would consider returning if we were staying in a nearby hotel.

• Visited June 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Cayucos, CA
“Okay Italian”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2012

We came for Mother's Day weekend. We stayed at at hotel within walking distance of Old Fisherman's Wharf. I walked the entire wharf looking for a place to bring my family for dinner. I was impressed by the family feel of this place. When we came, we were immediately seated. There was a family outside, finishing their meal, and us. A large group then came in. Our meal was delayed as crab cakes were prepared instead of crab ravioli. Both my husband and I ordered the special, crab raviolis. His plate came with 6 ravioli and mine came with 9. I find this odd. The food was delicious, but service was lacking.

I am ranking it poor instead of average as I believe they could do better. Our server was polite, but overall I was not impressed. Given all the choices to eat on the Wharf, I think they could do better to make it an all over positive experience.

• Visited May 2012