“Bed was extremely comfy, service was poor” 3 of 5 stars

Special Price
Advanced Purchase 20% off
Ranked #6 of 53 hotels in Monterey
Concord, CA
“Bed was extremely comfy, service was poor”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2010

Overall, I enjoyed my stay. The main reason I picked this hotel was the fact that pets are accepted. As stated, the bed was comfortable and I loved the fact that all the windows and french doors could be opened. However, the service was very poor. I am a single traveler. The whole staff watched as I struggled to get my luggage in by myself, no one even offering to hold the door open. I don't normally cook breakfast for myslef so look forward to a good breakfast when I travel. There was an $11.00 dollar charge for a help yourself type breakfast found at Hampton and Comfort Inn's for free! The 'waitress' was very unfriendly and when I took an extra scone to take to my room for later looked at me as if I were stealing it even though I had already paid the $11.00 and had eaten sparingly.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled solo

1,226 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (243)
San Jose, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2010

My husband and I stayed at Hotel Abrego on New Year's Eve - would a fantastic hotel for the price. We stayed in a beautiful Queen-sized room - extremely clean and the colour choices for the renovation were beautiful. The fireplace was such an added bonus. The bed was one of the most comfortable beds I have ever slept in at a hotel. The desk staff were very accommodating and the whole experience was excellent. I would have absolutely no hestiation staying at this hotel again!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Oakland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2010

First, we were staying the upgraded twin queen fireplace and plasma TV room, the room was nicely furnished, quite and made a very favorable impression in our overnight getaway from the Bay Area. The food menu was a great value and presentation was excellent. Third, we had two children and they benefitted from the heated pool for a brief dip in the winter. Lastly the ambience was warm and inviting, best value off the wharf and would absolutely stay again.

Sacramento
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2009

We went to Hotel Abrego based only upon the photos and reviews we saw on the internet site. We were not disappointed. The staff was amazing, the room spacious, clean, and very charming. Having a fireplace in our room was also very cozy. We were traveling as a family of four with our teenage children and worried the room would be small and the beds uncomfortable, but neither of these could be said about this Hotel. I also think it would be a great place for a romantic getaway. We would definitely stay at Hotel Abrego again.

California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2009

Hotel room was not bad itself, but the so called new remodelled ipod docking didn't work. When asked for them to replace it, they send a so called maintenance guy that said, "I have never seen one of these things in my life...". Moreover, me and my family got ripped off from the breakfast. They didn't tell us breakfast wasn't free. It cost us $11+ per person and we endeed up paying arms and legs for some potatos and scrambled eggs that we could have gotten for 1/5 of the price at a fast food place. Not to mention that the regular price per room was $160+.
Try going somewhere else.

los altos
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2009

My daughter and I found ourselves unexpectedly needing to stay over in Monterey on Thanksgiving night. I grew up in Monterey, and come to visit family every few months. I had noticed Hotel Abrego on my recent trips, so gave them a call Thursday evening. Rami, the manager, gave me a great rate, on a BEAUTIFUL double queen room with fireplace! Everything seemed brand new, and they clearly invested in an excellent interior decorator. This room was as good or better than rooms I've stayed in costing much, much more. The fireplace was perfect for a chilly Monterey night. The lobby and restaurant are decorated in the same elegant style, and breakfast by their fireplace was just right. All the staff we met, and especially Rami, were gracious and helpful. We will be staying here again for sure.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
San francisco Bay Area
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2009

The Abrego Hotel is our idea of a 5 Star hotel. My husband and I stayed there for a night, and we had wished we had stayed longer. The staff is friendly and attentive. The rooms are newly remodelled and very nice and clean. It was home away from home. This was our second time staying at the Abrego (formerly the San Dollar Inn) hotel. When we go back to Monterey next year, we will definitley stay at the Abrego Hotel. Even though it is off the beaten path, it was only a mile from the Fisherman's Wharf area. I highly recommend this hotel if you are ever in the Monterey Bay area.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Abrego? Share your experiences!