“Organisationally impaired-nice place though” 4 of 5 stars

Announcement
The Bar at Hotel Abrego
Ranked #7 of 54 Hotels in Monterey
essex
“Organisationally impaired-nice place though”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2014

This is a lovely hotel in a Spanish boutique style near the wharf area. It is clean and we had a large room. Disadvantage is check in is not til 4pm. I thought the young man who checked us in was a little haughty-not friendly. Overall it felt like no-one was in charge. There is a pool but not much seating around it so if its busy you have to sit on the concrete.
Waitress was friendly but when asked if she could recommend somewhere to visit between Monterey and San Francisco she had no advice. On the first day we left our bags early and said we were going to the Aquarium. The front desk did not have the wit to say oh the queues can be long we sell tickets which will let you straight through. As it was we went there and there was a 30 min queue so we went back the next day.
A 2 mins drive or you could walk on the same side of the rode up is a lovely shopping centre with several restaurants. Get breakfast here and absolutely try the lalla grill which serves brilliant food at a reasonable price !
There is coffee and biscotti in the reception at breakfast time.

Room Tip: Ask for a room over the pool or not over the car park.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Lars S, General Manager at Hotel Abrego, responded to this review, August 15, 2014
Dear Sali W,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent visit to Hotel Abrego. I apologize that the check in was less than outstanding. Your feedback will help us tremendously. I hope you will come visit Hotel Abrego again in the near future.

Best Regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (341)
Hebron, Kentucky
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2014

My husband and I stayed here on our way down the coast of California after a few days in San Francisco. The property is beautiful, it makes a great first impression. Unfortunately when we walked into our room the first thing we noticed was how hot it was in there (I'm sure it was 80+ degrees) so we looked for the A/C controls only to find that there weren't any in our particular room. When we asked the front desk they said there was no A/C and the best they could do was provide a fan. Our room was right outside the pool area and parking lot so leaving the window open at night was not an option and by the time we woke up in the morning it had to have been over 85 degrees in our room. The one thing I look for in a hotel is good sleep quality and this was the worst night's sleep we had on our 10-day trip to California.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Lars S, General Manager at Hotel Abrego, responded to this review, August 13, 2014
Dear Jennacole6,
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay. I appreciate the honesty and feedback. I apologize that your expereince was unpleasant. I agree that a good night sleep is the most important factor of an overnight hotel accomodation. Please call me directly as I would like to speak with you regarding the expereince.
831-324-4615
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2014

As most of the others say, great rooms, great location, heck, pretty much a fantastic hotel, all said. However, during my recent stay, I was woken by noises outside my room not once, not twice, but three (that I remember) times during the night. The first was obscenely loud techno music, the next, revelers looking for their rooms (not a problem, normally and, had sleep shown up that night, nothing to write home about), and then at 6 or 7, what I assume were workers arrived and had an incredibly loud shouting match/conversation outside my window. None of this is the problem. I could live with any and all of that. The issue I take with the hotel is the price it charged me and the assumption on my part that it would be better than a Super 8. It's not, not by any means, and I will be saving the 300 dollars I spent on a room in which I couldn't sleep and just stay at the Best Western next time I'm in the neighborhood. At least they won't charge me for breakfast...

Room Tip: Book the Best Western next door.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Mike K,
Thank you for taking the time to review our Hotel. I apologize that your stay was unpleasant. I will bring up your comments at the next management meeting. Please call me directly in order for me to apologize directly. 831-324-4615
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2014

We stayed at the Hotel for one night as part of our California road trip. We found the staff extremely friendly on check-in, giving advice on where to go for dinner in Carmel that the evening and also recommending the 17 mile drive which was well worth it.

We found the room to be clean and spacious. The bed comfortable and the Wi-Fi reliable.

It's a shame we had to leave early in the morning as we did not get the opportunity to try any of the hotels facilities or breakfast.

A flying visit, but I would still thoroughly recommend the hotel, it was one of the nicest we stayed in during our visit to California.

The staff also recommended some great places to eat on the Big Sur as we continued our road trip. These were also very good recommendations!

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Matt Q,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent visit. I am pleased that our staff was able to acomodate you and give great directions. Hopefully you will be able to stay longer on your next visit to Monterey.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2014

Stayed here for a few nights on our California road trip. Wow great rooms, clean, spacious and extremely friendly helpful staff. The breakfasts were great the waiting staff were lovely and friendly to us non local brits. We cant wait to stay again on our next Californian visit.

Room Tip: Room facing away from carpark view was very nice
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Karachi
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2014

We stayed here for 1 night after doing the 17 mile drive in Carmel. Everything was great. The room was spacious and tasteful and although there was no elevator, the hotel did give us help to carry our luggage one floor up. Most hotels in the area do not have air conditioning - the day that we were there, it was quite humid, so that hotel gladly provided a fan which was adequate for a few hours, while it got cooler outside. The hotel is near the Cannery row and Fishermans wharf so we went for a stroll and dinner on Cannery Row, which we thought was a cute little area.

Recommend this hotel for sure !

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Lars S, General Manager at Hotel Abrego, responded to this review, August 11, 2014
Dear Amirali10,
Thank you for your great comments, we value all feedback. We hope to see at Hotel Abrego next time you are in Monterey.
Harrow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2014

We stayed here whilst on a roadtrip and were originally being booked into a boutique B&B in Carmel; as they didnt get back to our travel agent we reviewed other options and chose to stay here.

The hotel comprises a main building and a separate motel-like building. Big plus is the free parking (with ample parking spaces) and proximity to key sights and historical area - its just 10-15 mins walking distance. Great for us as we walk everywhere at home, and it was a relief for my husband not to have to drive out again for dinner.

I concur with other reviewers. We came with heavy suitcases so would not have enjoyed lugging them up and down stairs had we been in the "motel" section ...which is where our room had been allocated. I also prefer to have a cooler room so air con is must!

I rang ahead after reading the reviews here and subsequently secured room 1201 in the main building, which was accessible by elevator. It was bright and spacious with air con (essential it was a bit stuffy inside and as the room faces traffic on two sides it would not have been practical to open the windows - and that said I have to add we were not disturbed by the traffic, and though I wouldn't say the walls here were thin, we did keep hearing thud noises from the room above, like someone was throwing heavy things onto the floor).

We didn't use the pool or eat at the hotel - to be frank there is a lot more to choose from out and around.

On one night we hit the main Wharf, tried out 3 of the chowders on offer, and chose our restaurant based on that (we went to Crab Louie - not the Ritz but honest, fresh flavoursome seafood and fish). The next night we hit a gem of a Mexican restaurant called Turtle Bay Taqueria. For breakfast we simply picked up some pastries from the many cafes.and bakeries around, and made ourselves some coffee with the coffeemaker provided.

We had a very comfortable nights sleep and the bed was luxurious. Plenty of sitting space and the shower was amazing!

All on all you will enjoy your stay here, and its a better place to stay to cover the whole of the Peninsula including Pacific Grove (idea: don't bother paying for the 17 mile beach drive; take 68 to Pacific Grove - stopping at the Safeway to pick up hot or cold food - then foĺow the 68 towards Asilomar coast where there.are plenty of points for you to stop for a picnic; the go in to Pinos Point Lighthouse and on to Cannery Row. This will make for quite an enjoyable morning/afternoon.) And of course a drive into Carmel where you should include a stop at Carmelo Borromeo.

Just be sure of what you will need from your room and call ahead with sufficient notice to get it sorted out with the staff who are quite helpful.

Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear cookie187,
Thank you for taking the time to provide valuable feedback on your recent visit. we hope you will consider Hotel Abrego next time you are visiting california.