“Girls Mini Vacation” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 53 hotels in Monterey
Atwater, California
“Girls Mini Vacation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

Great location, walking distance to everywhere we wanted to go. We had our little dog and she enjoyed her stay also. We found this place by accident. We had planned on staying at the property next door and decided to take a chance on this hotel. Best choice we made. The rooms were large and very new looking. I noticed security driving through the parking lot through out the night so we felt very safe. The hotel was full. We were on the ground floor with 3 guys above us, I never heard more than the normal walking, so noise was not a problem for us. We plan on going back and my husband and I will also go there. The staff is Awesome, always smiling and helpful. Just a Great place to stay

Room Tip: We have only stayed in Building 4 and that was wonderful.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Tracy C, General Manager at Hotel Abrego, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
Dear Judy I,

Thank you for taking a chance on staying in our hotel. We are glad we had the opportunity to show you all Hotel Abrego has to offer. We look forward to welcoming you again very soon!

1,235 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (251)
Clovis, California, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

We normally like to stay in the building facing the pool. Have for years. This trip, we got a room in the new building that the lobby is in.
It is so good, we are now hooked on this building! HUGE bathroom, second floor had a view of the ocean.
Same fireplace, flat screen, fridge, coffee in room, safe for your valuables, the robes my wife loves.
Did I mention the bathroom was HUGE?
Chris and Patrick at the desk are the best.
I accidentally left my cell in the room and the young lady in reservations (sorry, forgot name) immediately called me back to say she found it and would have it at the desk.
We are crazy about Hotel Abrego and have stayed there for over 10 years. (It was the Sand Dollar) if I'm not mistaken, Patrick was there way back when!

Room Tip: Best is main building. Then section directly facing the pool.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear A M,

It's pleasing to hear you have been such a loyal guest of Hotel Abrego for many years! Thank you for the great review and we look forward to your return.

Cincinnati, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

Although this hotel is conveniently located and was rather nice, the complete and total lack of soundproofing was ridiculous. I literally could hear the guy upstairs get out of bed, walk into the bathroom, and take a leak. Yes, I could actually hear him peeing. Nice as the place looked I definitely wouldn't stay there again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Tracy C, General Manager at Hotel Abrego, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
Dear Chris S,

Our sincere apologies for the noise issues you experienced during your stay. We hope you will change your mind and give Hotel Abrego another chance to show you the true guest experience we have to offer.

Boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

My husband and I stayed here two nights on our Anniversary trip up the California Coastline. I must say that the staff couldn't have better nicer, particularly Karin who offered suggestions and greeted us with a smile each time she saw us. The room was spotless and the bed so comfortable, I slept like a baby. We stayed on the top floor in the Main Building and had absolutely no complaints. The Hotel is centrally located and within walking distance to Fisherman's Wharf and downtown. The Cannery and Aquarium is a bit further and would require a car in my opinion. My husband enjoyed relaxing by the pool while I did a little shopping and we met at the hotel bar for a beer and glass of wine before dinner.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Tracy C, General Manager at Hotel Abrego, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
Dear satellitesue1,

Happy Anniversary from Hotel Abrego! We are pleased to hear you enjoyed your stop in Monterey at our hotel. Our staff takes the extra steps needed to ensure our guest experience is a memorable one. Thank you for sharing your comments and we hope to see you in the future!

dallas, tx
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

I felt like I was in a quaint Spanish Village. The location is great! A short distance from CA 1 and about 1 1/2 to all the downtown Monterey activities. We were there this last week of May and all the town closed down by 9pm. I'm not sure when they have season and stay opened later, but just make sure you get to dinner in time or you will wind up eating fruit and crackers like we did. The main check in building seems like it was just opened. Everything was brand new. The sheets were soft and felt expensive. The pillows were just right and the shower was like a spa. It had a rain shower head which is a little sluggish for me, but others seem to love it. They supplied really nice toiletries and plenty of towels. The room was a little on the small size with a king sized bed, but it was great for just a night or two. There was a nice desk space and free wi-fi. Parking was also free. This is a BIG deal in California where the average city hotels charge 40-60 dollars per night for parking. This hotel is within walking distance to anything you would want to do. The beach is everywhere! the sunset was spectacular. I would not hesitate to stay here again. We booked on their web site for about 129.00 with tax. They even had an a/c unit which a lot of the smaller places don't have in this area. We slept with the windows opened and earplugs. It was delightful!

Room Tip: If you are in the Main building ask for a room that does not face the wall next door. The rooms in...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear dfwjetsetter,

Hotel Abrego embraces and reflects Monterey's history with our Spanish architecture and warm, inviting accents. It's pleasing to hear you enjoyed your stay at our hotel while visiting the Monterey area. We look forward to seeing you on your next trip!

Monterey, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

I came to Abrego Hotel for a weekend getaway to relax and rejuvenate from daily stresses. I found it to be a perfect match to what I was looking for: luxury, cleanliness, quiet, an almost zen-like interior decor (I didn't want any busy, clashing patterns like most of the bed and breakfasts - true to Victorian style - that does nothing for my peace of mind lol), and centrally located so that I could walk to anywhere I needed to be. (My husband dropped me off and kept the car for the weekend.) Friday afternoon, I checked in with a very friendly staff member who went over all the details of what I needed to know and even spiced it up with a few corny (but welcomed) jokes. It appeared to me that these employees enjoy working there - which is a good sign. I checked into my room, turned on the electric fireplace and kicked back in the king-size bed that comfortably absorbed my body. It was apparently so relaxing that I slept nearly 12 hours! :p The bathroom was beautiful and very clean. The tile-work and modern fixtures were very spa like - I would LOVE a bathroom like that in my own home! The water never got too hot (though I think it could stand to get a little warmer on the "hottest" setting). The toilet never had any issues flushing, and they even provide two clean bathrobes. There were plenty of pillows on the bed (though I brought my own, as I always do) and they were very soft but supportive pillows - good quality. Down, perhaps? I did not visit the pool or hot tub (though I had considered it - I was there to work on a large project I've undertaken). I did not have any issues with noise the entire weekend except for Saturday night, and even that was only for a moment. A family checked into the room beside me and their young kids were super stoked about the room so there was a little bit of excited shrieking and jumping around - but the parents put a stop to it rather quickly. Other than that, I didn't hear much aside from my music coming from my laptop and the sounds of Monterey outside my balcony door. I could see the ocean from my room, but just a small bit of it; most of my view was downtown Monterey - which to me, is quite beautiful in itself. There is no furniture on the balcony (not much room for it) so you can stand out there for a bit but don't plan on relaxing in private out there - not that you'd want to with all that the hotel has to offer. I did not take advantage of the hotel dining options; I preferred to keep to myself for the whole weekend. Even housekeeping was very respectful of my wishes, checked on me once via telephone just to make sure I didn't need anything (shampoo, towels, etc.). The 2nd night, the electric fireplace would turn on when I set it, but only be on for a few minutes, turn off, then a few minutes later, turn itself back on. It did this several times. I did not feel that it was a big negative impact on my stay and it certainly wasn't interfering with my productivity on my project, so I did not call. Besides, I wanted more to have the room to myself than to have someone come look at the fireplace. All in all, very relaxing and peaceful weekend retreat for me. Oh, there is a refrigerator and a coffee maker, but no microwave in the room.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Dear starlately,

Thank you for sharing your relaxing experience at Hotel Abrego. We want our guests to feel at ease during their stay with us, especially when it comes to relaxation. Our bedding often recieves rave reviews (as you experienced first hand) that our guests want to purchase the items for their own home! We look forward to being your weekend getaway in the future.

Cardiff
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

The biggest surprise of our California road trip. Great location, fantastic rooms, massive fireplace and TV, comfy bed, great service, just wish we had more than 1 night here.We didnt get chance to use the pool area, but looked lovely. Would stay again if we return to Monterey.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Dear NONE1,

We are delighted to hear you found your stay at Hotel Abrego to be a "wonderful surprise"! Our accommodations were designed with guest comfort in mind. Keep us on your radar if you come back to the area.

Tracy J. Call

Been to Hotel Abrego? Share your experiences!