“A few drawbacks but overall a nice place to stay.” 4 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
SAVE 30%!!!!!
Ranked #8 of 54 Hotels in Monterey
Moraga, California
“A few drawbacks but overall a nice place to stay.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

I stayed here because I needed to bring my dog with me. It is basically a renovated motel and I usually stay next door at the BW Monterey Inn but they do not allow pets. At any rate, the room was comfortable and nicely appointed. It had a sink and vanity area in the room as well as a sink in the bathroom which is nice if there are two of you. Unfortunately, the room was stuffy and the only "air" would have been from the window which I did not feel safe keeping open. I asked for a fan and one was delivered promptly to my room and it helped but I think they should have something built-in. There was a safe in the closet, a hair dryer, coffee maker, robe, iron & board, ice bucket and a small fridge (although the fridge is somewhat hidden in a cabinet). I do like the triple sheeting and there was a small dock for an iPod etc. The room was quiet from street noise but not from the neighbors plumbing; I heard the sink, toilet, and shower.
I did not have the breakfast.
I found the parking to be problematic. There is only one small area for the entrance and exit and the spaces are quite compact. I would not be surprised if there are a lot of fender-benders there. FYI, I drive a 4 door sedan, not too big but not small enough for the parking lot. The layout of the buildings is a little strange but I found my room easily enough at 11 pm when I checked in.
If I need to travel with my dog again I would stay here but it wouldn't be my first choice if I didn't have to bring the pooch.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (320)
Yorba Linda, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

We stayed for 4 nights over Thanksgiving. We had a great experience. The room was very clean and comfortable. The housekeeping was excellent. We stayed with our two young children, ages 2.5 and 5 and the trip was better than we both anticipated. The location was excellent and we walked to the warf every morning. It's was a perfect location for all that we wanted to do during our trip- aquarium,Carmel and even a few tasting rooms in Carmel Valley! I did feel the front desk staff could've been a little friendlier as the hotel is probably one of the nicest in the area and a friendlier staff would make the stay perfect! Overall we did have a great experience and would definitely stay again! I booked about a month before our visit and then the week before they offered a Living Social deal that was better than mine. Unfortunately they couldn't/wouldn't match it.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Escondido, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

My husband and I booked a room at Hotel Abrego through a Living Social Deal. It turned out to be quite a steal! I loved everything this hotel. The check-in process was easy and we got right to our room. I absolutely loved the decor in the room; it felt so cozy. The fireplace was a great touch. We used the robes to go out and enjoy the hot tub! We couldn't believe we had all of these amenities for less than $100/night (again, through a Living Social deal; not their normal rates). We ended up walking to both the Fisherman's Wharf and Cannery Row (ended up being over a 4 mile walk round trip, but it was a beautiful night for a walk)! My only complaint was being on the first floor and hearing the people on the floor above us (they must've had a child who was running around); this is why we always travel with ear plugs! Otherwise, a perfect stay! Would definitely stay here again and will recommend this hotel to anyone wanting a nice hotel in beautiful Monetrey!

Room Tip: I recommend a room on the top floor, so you don't hear the people above you walking around
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Glendale, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

I stayed here for three nights in November, 2012. The location was convenient to downtown Monterey and Fisherman's Wharf on one side, and the highway to Carmel on the other. Getting to the aquarium and Cannery Row is also only minutes away. The room was nice but you did hear the occupants of the neighboring rooms and the plumbing from others (even though I was on the top floor and no other rooms on the side of my room with the plumbing - odd) but the room layout is excellent and housekeeping was prompt and did a fine job. After the first night since it was warmer than I expected and there isn't air conditioning I asked the front desk for a box fan and it was promptly delivered to my room. I would recommend to others.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

We stayed here only one night on our trip from San Fran to LA. The location is great, on route and near the main street where all the restaurants are for dinner (had the best Chinese meal ever), as well as a short drive to the fisherman's whalf and cannery row shopping street. The room was decorated beautifully, felt really luxurious. The breakfast was really good too, but was not included and had to pay $10 each, which if you only want a few slices of toast can be expensive, but good excuse to have a full breakfast. Parking was free which was another bonus.
The negative that resulted in losing a star rating above was the guy on reception when we arrived being grumpy and not very helpful, when we asked for a map of the area and recommendations for a good restaurant near by, he simply told us to go to the most popular street and look at all the menus on the outside of each restaurant, which is what we did but would have been nice to get a local recommendation of a particularly nice and reasonable restaurant that only the locals could recommend. Our room was also around the back of the front row of rooms, there were 2 options to either take stairs up to another row of rooms or down to another row of rooms. The instructions given were very poor, just told we were behind, but then had to go up and then down stairs with our suitcases to find the correct row for our room. This ruined our experience on arrival when all we wanted to do was rest after a long drive and get changed to go out for dinner. Clear instructions on needing to go up or down or even shown the way would have made all the difference, as well as a nice welcoming manner would make this hotel amazing! The girl on the desk in the morning was much nicer and gave us great directions and map to the fisherman's whalf, which means we would try this hotel again if in Monterey again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

Found this gem while planning for the 2012 Big Sur Half Marathon, and I'm glad I did! When I decided on this hotel, I wanted it to be within walking distance from the starting line for the early morning start. According to Google Maps, this was about an 11-minute walk to Figueroa & Del Monte. It was a great way to warm-up for the race! Later we discovered that it was within walking distance to Downtown Monterey (including Mucky Duck, if you're into pubs). A 23-minute walk to Del Monte Shopping Center if you want to continue to save on gas.

So, the night before, my running buddy and I needed to get carbed up for the race but didn't want to deal with the crowds. We figured that since we grew up in Salinas, and didn't feel the need to explore some nice Monterey restaurant along with the thousands of other runners, so we hesitantly decided to eat at The Lounge at Hotel Abrego. I say "hesitantly" because we couldn't find a decent review AND the last review was about 6-10 months ago! It was strange to walk in at 6pm to see only three ladies at a table having dinner, but with an open mind, we proceeded. We met the new chef who said that he just started there and was trying to change things up by experimenting with some new flavors. Of course, I was a little skeptical but hopeful that there was a new chef...OMG!!! From the salad (fresh from our hometown of Salinas) to the creamy, delicious butternut squash soup to the crab cakes with a nice kick to the calamari that was still flavorful and not oily (even though I let mine sit too long because I wanted to eat my salad first) to my spinach ravioli (which was the freshest pasta I've ever eaten!)...we were in AWE and I was in food heaven!!! Kudos to Chef Mark for experimenting with your theme spice of the evening, cinnamon! We were glad to be your guinea pigs that evening. Keep it up! Let's see...what else...oh, it was a nice walk from the hotel to Paris Bakery on Washington & Bonifacio Pl. Had a breakfast there the day after the race. Highly recommend this great little cafe! Rosine's Restaurant on Alvarado had an incredible looking dessert display...the pumpkin cheesecake was to die for! My friend said that it was the best pumpkin cheesecake she's ever tasted because you could actually taste the pumpkin...I agreed! I was also excited to see a Trader's Joe on Alvarado so that I could buy the organic veggies that I'm used to. =)

All in all, I would highly recommend staying at Hotel Abrego if you ever decide to visit Monterey!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Livonia, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

The hotel location (about a mile from Cannery and about a mile from the Del Monte shopping center) was great. The rooms are updated, spacious and look nice however the insulation is terrible. You can hear people walking by on the balconies, talking through the walls and any time someone nearby turns on the water or flushes the toilet.

It tries to pass itself off as a high-end boutique hotel but the service doesn't rate especially the front desk staff. We stayed three days (because they have a 72 hour cancellation policy) and the pool couldn't be used after dark two nights because the lights were out (I had to call the front desk to inform them, they were unaware). The free wi-fi was out of range in our room (it showed up as remembered but out of range). We called the front desk and were told someone would "look into it". The manager quoted me a discount for our three-day stay and when I checked out the bill didn't match. It was 10am and the manager wasn't "on-duty" yet. I was told by the front desk they were just "a facilitator" and the manager would call me back. I've been home 7 days and I'm still waiting for my call. I heard the same person tell another unhappy guest "I'm not empowered to make decisions". Seriously?

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Abrego? Share your experiences!