“This is a good little place to stay. Trendy, clean and safe.” 5 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Advanced Purchase 15% off
Ranked #6 of 53 Hotels in Monterey
Downey, California
“This is a good little place to stay. Trendy, clean and safe.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2012

I am a mom who travels with her 10 year old little girl so I really search for a decent place. I decided to give this a shot since I saw the other reviews.

I am a very satisfied client.

I stayed in a room with one queen bed.
The room was perfect size for us but if you have a large party to fit in one room you may want to ask for one of their larger rooms. If it's a party of 2 or three and you're pretty good here. It's about a 5 min drive to the aquarium or the wharf. I used Yelp to find good eats and WOW 2-3 mins to some good stuff.

The layout of the hotel is different sort of apartment style. They had three floors in the building I stayed in (the cheapest :). I walked downstairs and my room was right there. There's a CLEAN coin laundry mat in case you'd like to stay for a few days and needs to wash. I didn't use it but checked it out for a future extended stay.

The deco was new and it had a window length sofa where my daughter could play on the computer or relax. The bed was nice and comfy not too hard or soft. I asked for more pillows and blankets and the kind gentleman brought them in less than 5 mins at 11pm with a smile. The TV was updated, cute mini fridge and great coffee for the coffee pot. No desk but did have an end table we used to eat. It had TWO SINKS one inside the restroom and one outside and a TWO large full length mirrors so we could both brush our teeth and hair. They have pretty good toiletries in case you forget yours. The restroom was standard size.

If you are thinking about staying at a larger hotel because you're afraid of what you'll get at other places try this quaint boutique hotel with fair prices and an awesome stay. The next time I'm in Monterey this is where I will stay.

Room Tip: If you have a tons of luggage (which I didn't) you may want to ask for a room on the level floor...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (267)
Campbell River, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

Location was great, staff were friendly and the room was nice..

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Sunnyvale, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

My daughter and I stayed at Hotel Abrego for one night. The reception/staff was very friendly and accommodating, and we were greeted with a smile. The grounds were well groomed. The room was very clean, comfortable and excellent size for the price. The beds were extremely comfortable. Enjoyed the wide screen TV, and there was a refrigerator which is always nice to have. The bathroom was clean and good size with nice fluffy towels. Except for hearing the people above us walking around and hearing the pipes when they showered, we give the hotel very high marks. Will definitely request a room on the top floor next time. We did not eat breakfast at the hotel, but the price for the breakfast buffet was very reasonable. Hotel is an excellent value and choice for Monterey.

Room Tip: Request a room on the top floor because you can hear people walking around above you and hear the wa...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2012 via mobile

I like the Abrego, the rooms are clean, new, and comfortable. The front desk people were nice. My son especially love the wide screen tv, huge bathroom, and chaise lounge to call his own. Best hotel out of three that I used in montery.

• Stayed March 2012
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2012

We stayed here during the off-season (mid-February) when Monterey was devoid of tourists. The property is as has been described by other posts: newly renovated and clean. Fresh fruits in a big bowl in the lobby.
We stayed in a room with 2 queen beds and a fire place in the main building. The beds were comfortable, the bathroom spacious. We didn't use the fireplace because it was an unseasonably warm week. There is a coffee/tea maker in the room and a small refrigerator which came in handy as we were traveling with a toddler. We asked for a travel crib at check in, it arrived within 10 minutes and was in tip-top condition. They also provided us with a microwave (to heat milk) for the duration of our stay.
The walls were a bit thin and we could hear the kids next door bouncing on the bed, but they settled down by 8pm so it wasn't a big deal.
Location is far from the aquarium (not walkable) but in a nice part of Monterey convenient to shopping and groceries and within walking distance to the Dennis the Menace park. There is a large mall 2 minutes away (lots of restaurant choices), a Trader Joe's 1.5 blocks away, and a street market (fresh fruits, local farm produce) on Tuesday afternoons/evenings about 2 block away. Public library is also 2 or so blocks away.
We ended up extending our trip an extra day to enjoy the ambience of the town. The front desk clerks on the 1st and 2nd days were wonderful - very helpful and friendly; a different lady was there on our last day, unfortunately she was quite arrogant and snarky.
Compared to the other hotels in Monterey we felt that we got great value for our money.

Room Tip: Photos on their website are from rooms in the main building (fully renovated rooms & bathrooms).
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
San Francisco
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2012

We recently purchased a Living social deal = "room,dinner & bottle of wine"

Here is what I sent back to LivingSocial.

Living social needs to VET its deals better.
We was hoping for a fun weekend in Monterey. When I booked, we were FORCED to UPgrade to a more expensive room. (a deal is a DEAL, we should get the "room, dinner & wine deal", regardless of whether it is in an UPgraded room or not, if Abrego has to give me an UPgraded room cause they ran out of DEAL rooms, that is Abrgo's problem!! They need to fulfill the deal ...PERIOD!! Regardless of how they do it.. no EXTRA charges!!)
The UPgraded room we got, was not that nice. It had a fireplace, but was definitely NOT worth the extra just for that. Plus, they gave us the worst positioned room, even though I wanted an upstairs quiet room. It was facing the driveway and everyone was looking into our room through a disgustingly dirty window that made it feel like a tenement. We were also placed next to the hallway entrance door and staircase. So in this QUIET, (ha ha) room, all we heard was people open and slamming the door and tromping up & down the stairs. Walls are thin, so also heard the people upstairs stomping around all night. I think an upstairs quiet room with less parking lot walkbys would have provided a nicer experience, but front desk Anthony wasn't that friendly to begin with plus gave us the worst room. ( I had to look up my Living social verification on my phone cause I forgot the printout,.. he was annoyed at that delay!)
The DINNER, (laughingly) was in the lobby lounge and was a choice of burger, taco or pizza. I will admit, it was supposedly an upgraded taco & pizza, but that is NOT ..."A Dinner". The appetizer was actually terrible. ridiculously salty tapanade, bad cheese and hard as rock stale, (not toasted) pita and bread.
I will say though, that the bottle of wine provided in the deal was very good!
So, NO, we won't be going back to Hotel Abrego. There are better prices and deals at other places in Monterey ...especially off season.
We shouldn't have to pay an upgrade at all, but we did, ( so we wouldn't loose the WHOLE deal). We wouldn't have minded as much if the room and experience was better.

Room Tip: They all face the parking lot.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2012 via mobile

Very appealing styling and decor in a spacious new hotel. The breakfast was very well done. Hotel was in a very convenient location, close to the highway but not noisy. Will definitely go back.

• Stayed March 2012

Been to Hotel Abrego? Share your experiences!