I am semi-local and find myself in Monterey quite often. As such I've made a habit of cycling down 17 Mile Drive and through the Pebble Beach compound every chance I get. It's not for everyone, and you have to a) have access to a bike and b) be in reasonably good shape to take on the hills, but trust me - this is a terrific way to see 17 Mile Drive and avoid a lot of the complaints that others have.
- No toll! Skip paying the $9.75 at the gate
- You can choose your speed. Want to take it a little slower than traffic? Fine. Hit a traffic snarl in a spot you'd like to pass quickly? Also fine.
- Ease of pulling over to look around
- One hill just past Spyglass will leave you wondering if you will make it to the top or fall over backward
- No windows to roll up to protect you from the aroma of Bird Rock
There are several companies on the peninsula who rent bikes (Bay Bikes and Blazing Saddles are but two) so even if you are far from home this is a viable option and one that is well worth it as 17 Mile Drive isn't the only place in the greater Monterey area that is best seen on pedal vs. car.
If you own or manage 17-Mile Drive, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.