“4.6.13 GHOST TOUR” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #17 of 72 Activities in Monterey
More attraction details
Owner description: Relive the Fantastic Tales of Old MontereyOnce the capitol of Mexican California, Old Monterey was the center of fiestas and balls, the glamour of dashing Spanish horsemen and the throb of guitars played by romantic suitors. It was also a town of intrigue, murder, swindles and shipwrecks.Epic lives full of lost treasures, found romance, and amazing adventures. Visit the sites of the ghost in the garden, ancient burial grounds, hidden treasure, hauntings, hangings and frequent ghostly sightings.This 90 minute trolley tour, led by longtime residents and local historians, will bring you into a Monterey that few alive today have seen.
Modesto, California, United States
“4.6.13 GHOST TOUR”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

I took my teens boys and their friend. It was a lot of fun and awesome tales. We went back to the places we visited the next day during daylight hours. We made future plans to visit the restaurant.

Visited April 2013

Fresno, California
“Can't Go Wrong!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

My name is Ivan and the ONLY reason I didn't give this a 5 is because I wish it was a longer tour!!! At the same time an hour and a half is a lot better than most I would think. Gary, your tour guide, just gives you so much history that at the end of the trip, you just want to keep on going! Gary takes this tour over the top with his vast knowledge and excellent story telling. The trolley is pretty sweet as well. Gary sets the scene up for ya by playing music during your trip through Monterey. I have been to Monterey time and time again, love it there, but he showed us some sites that I never even knew existed and I have driven past them NUMEROUS times. The cemetary was the best intro, the way he set that up, GOOD [--] Gary!!! For $28 a ticket, best value for a tour in Monterey period. I am a skeptic from the word go, but I took some VERY questionable pics that night. I am ready to go again, no question about it!!

Visited January 2013
Carmel Valley, California
16 attraction reviews
“So much scary fun!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

I took this tour with my 12 year old son and 9 year old daughter. It was exceptional! I was thoroughly terrified and intrigued by Gary and his fantastic real stories. It was great to hear so much history and eerily fun too. We caught a lot of orbs on our camera which really was the icing on the cake. Gary is a terrific tour guide and I am recommending the tour to everyone I meet. I really didn't expect it to be as fantastic as it was. Thank you so much for a brilliant night out.

Visited October 2012
San Francisco, California
18 attraction reviews
“Fun Trip Though a Bit Expensive!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

The Ghost Tour of Monterey [http://www.toursmonterey.com/gpages/gtourdetails.html] was an interesting paranormal flight of fancy into Old Monterey where we run around in a motorized trolley (to this San Fran native, a modified cable car!) and explore a few historical sites.

I checked out the website as well. The photos are supposedly "orbs of spirits" but really are simple reflections of light on the camera lens. But I digress.

Although expensive at $28.00 for adults, there are several things that made the trip worth it in my experience. Gary the driver was very knowledgable about the ins and outs of history of the area. He would talk about his experiences as a tour guide and how some people told him to knock it off regarding his ghost stories for fear he would drive away business or some such. He even claimed to have the ancestors of the villains of the past come to his tour.

Several notes of interest: I did enjoy the fact that the tour stops and lets us out to explore certain buildings wehre we can. We stopped at the San Carlos Cathedral built over a hundred years ago, where supposedly the long-dead pastor still occasionally answers the door to counsel his flock. Several of the group knocked on the door while I scurried around the back. Nice Spanish architecture, statutes and columns made this a paradise for a architecture nut like myself.

We went to a few other places too: a hanging from a tree that is still standing (we touched it). A graveyard, home of a notorious victim or two (we walked it!). And a former ranch, now restaurant, that still houses the former owners who are mad about losing the property. Knock knock!

No spirits or sprites appeared during my tour. However, a few well-meaning if misguided fans were attempting to "scare up" some ghosts but they way they acted with yelling and knocking around, it was more a scare for me than any spirit!

Gary even went a bit out of his way to explore a few more sites, even though it was late. The 90 minute tour was more like two hours which was never boring.

I do recommend it!

Visited November 2011
Monterey, California
“What a great time!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

As a 4th grade fundraiser for my daughters class, We took the tour, I didnt realize how much fun it was going to be. Not only where we given a thorough history of Monterey and its past inhabitents, but Gary's story telling, the music and the whole experience was something we are all still talking about.

Thanks Gary for a gret time!!!!

Visited October 2012