“Cool, chill walk-in Campground” 3 of 5 stars

Type: State Parks
Activities: Hiking
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: This large park has a diverse range of trails that run along the Big Sur River or out to the coast.
Missoula, Montana
4 attraction reviews
“Cool, chill walk-in Campground”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2007

California has tons of state parks. I was here for 2 nights--June 29 & 30th. This one was $10 per night and included a fire pit, a picnic table, water faucets, a food box (attached to the picnic table), and a flushing toilet and sink facility. It was a very short walk in to the "grasslands".

Once at the "grasslands" the campsites are individually marked. Yes, there are lots of ground squirrels (in the day) and racoons (at night) that are pretty much domesticated. Watch out for them squeezing into the food boxes. I recommend carrying in a plastic rubbermaid box or your cooler. They won't get into tents if you zip them up.

Unfortunately, we were there when it was a windy week, so if it's like that, then you are going to have to sit there while your tent is blowing and blowing. BRING EARPLUGS! I hear, though, the wind doesn't always occur. You can hear other campers if they play guitars or have parties, but the campground rangers patrol at 10 pm to tell you that it's quiet time, so that's comforting if you have kids.

It's a short walk to the beach, which is nice when it's not windy. We saw sea otters and harbor seals and lots of sea gulls.

WATCH OUT FOR THE POISON OAK!!! This should be your very first chore, even before you unload your stuff from the car you came in! Immediately after you arrive, have the ranger show you what it looks like, cuz it's all over the trails and you'd probably never guess you walked through it until you started itching. Stay on the trails, too, cuz it's EVERYWHERE!

Where there are ground squirrels and deer, there are bound to be TICKS! I had a tick crawl on my tent, but if you conduct regular checks of your hair and body, you should be Ok. I did not get any on myself at all.

Bring your own water. You can't drink the water from the faucet.

If you want to have a fire in the pit, bring $7 for the cord of wood. There is no free wood gathering, which is cool and pretty cheap, cuz the wildlife need places to live, too! We are encroaching on them!

In the "grasslands" it's a little hot, so prepare yourself by bringing a hat or big umbrella or plan your day trip in the Redwoods forest. The scenery is great. You can see the California mountains all around. Yes, there is wildlife. Birds, ground squirrels, bobcats, owls, hummingbirds, lizards, coyotes, and deer. It's pretty laid back and the people there seem to want to just hang out. I felt safe and left my tent there all the next day while I was gone. Remember to take your valuables with you wherever you go, though, because sometimes there are squatter-campers. I'm not a picky camper, nor do I haul the house when I go, so this place was pretty cool.

Also, it's so close to the other state parks. And, the $10 a day fee gets you into them ALL. Yeah! So, prepare yourself for great hiking, awesome views of Highway 1, swimming, sleeping by the Redwoods, nature walks, birdwatching, chillin' out time. Big Sur is awesome!
I would recommend going there for the camping and day adventures.

Apple Valley, CA
“Beautiful, but quite a walk from car to campsite.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2007

My husband and I visited this truly beautiful state park as part of our honeymoon. I recommend it more for day use than camping though. Its .3 miles from the parking lot to the campsite, and while its an easy walk when you're just carrying yourself, its a whole other story when you have a bunch of stuff to carry. The front part where you pay was closed so we couldn't buy firewood and it was really cold. We finally drove a few miles to buy some firewood and hot dogs- prices really high on everything. We chose a spot under a big tree and close to the bathrooms, but that was a mistake because the campsite hosts seemed to have to use the restrooms every 15 minutes the following morning- the sound of the door slamming kind of ruins the whole nature atmosphere. Each site has a picnic bench with a food storage cabinet and a fire pit. It was a pretty miserable camping experience, but the day was great. We walked down to the beach and ran into two deers. We also went horseback riding through the woods and down to the beach. Plus when we went to see the waterfalls in Big Sur Park we found that our $10 camping fee included day use at all the other parks.

A TripAdvisor Member
“Beautiful and rugged”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2004

How can you not be in awe of the beauty of the California coastline?
Big Sur is amazing, and camping here lets you soak up all of it. The campground isn't overrun with cars or RVs, just people who want to actually CAMP. You have a little bit of a hike into the sites, so try to keep the gear light. The camp area is nice and flat and open and just a short walk from the ocean, which you can hear from the campsites. The hiking I did here was relatively easy and especially scenic. Horseback riding is seasonal though, in case you had your heart set on it. We watched a breathtaking sunset from a cliff overlooking the ocean the second night we stayed here. Peaceful and quiet camping in one of the most beautiful parts of the world.

The ONLY complaint I could have about camping here was that there were no showers, which was something I actually wouldn't have minded if I had just known ahead of time rather than being surprised after arriving.

A TripAdvisor Member
“Scary Camping”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2003

The park itself is pleasant, but be aware that the level of animal activity is high at night if you decide to camp there.