“Don't judge the book by the cover” 4 of 5 stars

Monterey Bay Lodge
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   55 Camino Aguajito, Monterey, CA 93940   |
Ranked #27 of 53 hotels in Monterey
Boca Raton, Florida
“Don't judge the book by the cover”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

We were a little skeptical when we drove up cuz it's looks a little bit like a shady motel at first. We chose it last minute based on the affordability and trip advisor pics and reviews. The lodge is right by the wharf, like a short 5 minute drive. The rooms are actually quite nice, very clean, large and well decorated. Bathroom was nice. There was a fireplace in the room and a restaurant attached to the lodge for breakfast in the morning. For the price it was very nice.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

388 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Costa Mesa, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

I was traveling alone with my kids and booked the suite with a king and sleeper sofa with kitchenette. That worked out great for us. We used the pool (warm enough for a night swim), the jacuzzi (a little heavy on chemicals), and ate at the restaurant on-site for breakfast (delicious & awesome service). We were pleased with it all! I felt very safe there and had easy access to my car which was packed for our long road trip. I only noticed that the hotel sits underneath the landing flight path to the airport the morning after we arrived but was only slightly aware of that noise for the remainder our stay.

The location was perfect to walk to the Dennis the Menace park, the paddle boats, the beach, the wharf, and the trolley stop that takes you to the aquarium and Cannery row. It's also a short drive to the shopping center/movie theater. I was not informed that I could have bought tickets in advance to the aquarium through the hotel - could have saved us some time standing in line (I ended up purchasing them from my phone while standing in the long line, so saved a little time there).

The only real annoyance was resolved right away - all of the rooms are non-smoking and shortly after arriving and opening windows to let fresh air in, my kids and I began to smell cigarette smoke. We peeked outside and saw it was one of the hotel employees - I politely asked for him to not smoke there as the smoke was blowing right into our room. He apologized profusely and I noticed future smoke breaks were taken out front. Thanks!

Room Tip: I called before I booked and spoke w/ the staff to assure I could book a room that could fit 3 peopl...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Hamilton, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

The motel is located within walking distance of all the major attractions in Monterey. The room is extremely basic but clean. There is a heated pool and small hot tub. Our room was on the first floor, had a small patio with chairs and right across from the pool.
The restaurant onsite had a very good breakfast and delightful staff and the staff at the front desk for the motel were very knowledgeable and friendly.

Room Tip: Request a room on the second floor. We heard EVERY step the family above us took!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Paphos, Cyprus
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

The room was fine, it was clean and had everything you needed, it was just a little on the small side. It was very quiet though, so we got a great nights sleep. Location good, out of Monterey centre, but you could walk to the free trolley stop, just 10 minutes stroll. Wasn't very impressed with the breakfast at the diner which was part of the lodge. That said, the price for the room was very cheap for the area.

Portsmouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

We used this hotel for a couple of days before heading north. I chose it because of the tripadvisor reviews. The hotel is within easy walking distance of the main restaurants and attractions and right next to a lovely park. Great for jogging around in the morning. We had breakfast at the adjoining restaurant which was very good. You can get vouchers from reception to give you a couple of dollars reduction. Ate some fantastic seafood in Monterey, saw some whales out in the bay and drove along the coast which was stunning down to Carmel (charming but very pricey). The hotel was a great base for two to three days but a bit limited in facilities for a longer stay.

• Stayed June 2013
Camarillo, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Stayed here just one night while passing through the area. The AAA rate was $30 higher than the Hotels.com rate but they matched it without forcing me to log into Hotels.com. The room was clean and had a fridge, coffee maker, LCD TV and ample lighting. The feel of the place is a bit dated but more than acceptable. I normally prefer more outlets for all my gadgets but this wasn't a business trip. The room had no AC. Monterey doesn't normally but this night it was a bit higher than I prefer. I kept the room window open with the little desk fan (supplied in room) running all night. That meant the window and curtains had to be left open all night. This is not the most secure situation. My only real complaints was a missing bath stopper, lumpy pillows and the copious amounts of spiderwebs surrounding the door of the room. They looked like they couldn't have been more than a few days old (this was no haunted house).

Oakland, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

It was just an unexpected stay on our road trip all over california. We chose this hotel due to it's proximity to the beach and other local areas like the cannery row, a beautiful lake and monterey aquarium. There might be other hotels that are closer to the beach, but this is okay since it's not a long drive from here to the cannery row (less than 10 minutes). Room is efficient for a short stay. If looking for a more romantic hotel, better find somewhere else. But as I said, we just picked this one while we were on the road and just wanted to have some rest before taking off again. Even so, the room is not bad. Complimentary business center to use for printing and faxing. Just the toilet flush sounds like a flush from an airplane lavatory.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Monterey Bay Lodge? Share your experiences!