“Wonderful! One of the most outstanding aquariums I have ever seen.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Monterey Bay Aquarium

$40*
and up
Ranked #1 of 98 things to do in Monterey
More attraction details
Owner description: Located at the ocean's edge, the Monterey Bay Aquarium is a window to marine life -- for dive masters and non-swimmers alike. It's home to sea otters, penguins, sharks, jellies and thousands of other marine animals and plants. Its mission is to inspire conservation of the oceans.
Tyler, Texas
“Wonderful! One of the most outstanding aquariums I have ever seen.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013 via mobile

My family loves to go to zoos, museums, and aquariums. We go to these sights in every city we visit. This one is outstanding! My favorite part was the seahorse exhibit. I had no idea there were so many different varieties. We also enjoyed the view from the walkway outside the aquarium. We watched as a mother otter fed her baby fish for dinner. If you are in Monterey, be sure to go to this aquarium. It is very crowded on weekends so try to go during the week.

Visited May 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Sun Valley, ID
10 attraction reviews
“A bit disappointed but still a nice attraction!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

I've wanted to visit the aquarium my entire life. Maybe it was too much of a build up but I was disappointed. Although it was a weekday morning in very early June, the aquarium was completely crowded which made it very difficult to enjoy our visit. I signed up for the text alerts when we arrived and that helped us to see a few attractions while the crowds went to the scheduled feedings (we still caught the otter and sardine feedings with the crowds). Overall the visit only took us - 2 adults moving at a steady pace - about 1.5 hrs starting at about 10:30 am.

Reno, NV
“Wonderful visit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013 via mobile

As former beach bums now living in a desert, it was a wonderful getaway to visit the aquarium. We purchased two-day tickets for the coat of normal admission through our hotel and put them to use! Loved the exhibits and scheduled feedings. As an educator, I kinda wanted more info from the signs.

We also did their Family Tour. While fun, it was not much tour for the money. And I don't know that it was as geared for young kids as they say it to be.

Overall, absolutely refreshing.

5 attraction reviews
“We love the aquarium!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

I'd only go on a weekday during the off-season, otherwise get ready for noisy crowds! But we always come up during a week in November, and it's not too crowded at all. Last time we did a behind the scenes tour which was really cool, it was the "Feeding Frenzy" tour. We got to come in an hour before the Aquarium opened and walked around behind the scenes and got to help feed several of the animals (the bat rays were my favorite! They suck the prawns right out of your hands, it's so weird!) You don't get to do any of the big animals tho, so don't expect a penguin to sit on your lap or anything like that...it's more like throwing krill into the sardine tank, but it was fun).

Visited November 2012
Los Angeles, California
33 attraction reviews
“Beautiful aquarium”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

Be sure to make note of the feeding times and see the exhibits when the fish are fed. Great for kids and adults as well. The jelly fish and sea horse exhibits are spectacular.