“$35 a person, and no relief in site for us po' folks” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 56 attractions in Monterey
Type: Aquariums, Amusement/ Theme Parks
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: Located at the ocean's edge, the Monterey Bay Aquarium is a window to marine life -- for dive masters and non-swimmers alike. It's home to sea otters, penguins, sharks, jellies and thousands of other marine animals and plants. Its mission is to inspire conservation of the oceans.
carlsbad
32 attraction reviews
“$35 a person, and no relief in site for us po' folks”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

When times are good for us, we are members of Scripps La Jolla and Wild Animal Park. When times are tough, we drop membership and don't go because fees are way too high. When I get a fine at the library, I am happy to pay, as I support a good cause, but they reasonably get me for late fees. While I would like to pay everyone's vacation and 401K at Monterey Aquarium, I just cannot do that this year! When I went and asked the supervisor for relief, she was very polite, but extremely not helping at all. The place is great, i agree, but $35 per person and I was going in with 4 people, is just a bit high. I also went in at 2pm, 3 hours from closing, and brought that up too. I think a reduce fee would be okay in that late checkin situation. Look, I am not the habitual chisler, but someone needs to get the Aquarium to have a few relief days for some of us who just are not doing so well. On a side note, it was school day, and tons of silly little creatures crawling everywhere. I believe they get a break to go in, as I recall when are creatures were small, so sometimes they do adjust accordingly. I hung in there and went, but took it out on the dinner we had planned that night. Today was the first day of the Federal Sequester, and I started my day off with my own sequestering (much to the chaff of my wife!). So I got it from everyone today! Price point is too high here and they really need to rethink. Maybe I go in dressed as a penquin next time!

Visited March 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
Singapore, Singapore
“nice!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

showcase a variety of aquamarine fishes n creatures!

especially love their jellyfish section.

but MAJOR MAJOR disappointment that the sea-otter exhibit was closed when we visited. thankfully we managed to telescope them in the ocean. would have been great if we could see them upclose.

Visited February 2013
Bakersfield, California
8 attraction reviews
“Favorite Aquarium”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

Have been to a lot of aquariums around the US. Monterey Bay is my favorite. With all the interactive exhibits, lots of fun.

Visited May 2012
Vilnius, Lithuania
4 attraction reviews
“Don't forget Your children :)”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

It was a couple visit, but i felt like a child running from one exhibit to another and then running back. Lots of things to see and learn. Super friendly staff is always ready to help You or explain something interests You. Absolutely no doubt about spent time and money. The big tank is really something!

Visited November 2012
Lodi, California
3 attraction reviews
“Amazing aquarium !!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

This place is amazing !! Every time I come here (it's been a few years), I am in awe of all that is here, The penguins are great !! The jellyfish are beautiful, The facilities are clean and well staffed. A bit crowded on a Sat (of coarse), but the crowd is well handled and doen't take anything away from the visit.

Visited February 2013