“Unique but very comfortable room” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #3 of 53 Hotels in Monterey
St Augustine, FL
“Unique but very comfortable room”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

We had wonderful encounters with service staff upon check-in and check-out. We were given a corner room that was quite large. It had two chairs, desk, couch...and the bed was a murphy bed! Have never seen that in a hotel before. Debated complaining and then after lying in the bed realized that there was no reason; the bed was perfectly comfy. The bathroom was great, separate shower and tub. We didn't book a room with a view; we arrived late evening and left early morning. Just so you know- the hotel is two buildings connected by an enclosed walkway across the street.

The hotel is in an excellent location and we walked right across the street to a great dinner at Louie Linguini's. There were many appealing restaurants within walking distance and a Starbucks right across the street!

Though we are Intercontinental rewards members, was able to get a significantly lower price for the room using an online discount site. Perhaps that explains the creative room assignment- but again it turned out just fine so truly not an issue, just a surprise.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Clement_Management, General Manager at InterContinental The Clement Monterey, responded to this review, July 14, 2014
Dear RLKjax, Thank you for sharing your experience with us, and I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your time with us. I hope you won't wait too long to return!
John C. Turner

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (420)
  • Greek first
Vancouver
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

We stayed in The Clement as it was in Cannery Row and looked very nice. From the time I got out of the car to when we left 4 days later, we were treated like royalty. They didn't have the room configuration we wanted for the first night, but for the rest of the time, they apoligized and upgraded us to a Jr. Suite at no extra charge. Friendly, friendly staff and very attentive. Highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the Bay are always good.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear dwleo, I am pleased to hear you were with us for several days, and found our associates to be friendly and helpful. I hope you had time to explore the surrounding area during your stay. Please don't wait too long to return!
Miami, Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

first time in Monterey, and it was amazing! Check in quick, efficient and friendly, courtesy of Liz and Crystal. Room was beautiful with a lovely view of the sea! Slept with sliding door open to get fresh air and sea sounds all night! had drinks at the C bar under the careful supervision of the Greatest Dane around! He took amazing care of us all night! We had a blast! We had our breakfast daily at the C Restaurant which was fantastic! All in all a great stay!

Room Tip: higher floor, view rooms are amazing
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Beresford, South Dakota, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

My first encounter with this hotel was when I pulled up into the driveway and the doorman yelled at me that I was entering from the wrong direction. Note that I was the only car in the driveway. I then started unloading my belongings and another doorman told me I could not be there unless he had the keys (in case there was an emergency). I had never heard anything so ridiculous, since I was still unloading my trunk. I spoke to the manager about the way they were addressing me, and he told me that they were not hotel employees, but were contract workers. Probably some of the rudest doormen I have ever encountered, especially at an Intercontinental property which was 5 star.

On to the room. Bellman was super nice, and the room was one of the nicest I have ever seen, with view of the Bay and boardwalk, a fireplace, French doors and the room was very modern. Decided to have dinner and could only find loud bar-type places, so thought I would give the hotel restaurant a try. Waited and waited for the host, but no one came. I walked up to a waiter and said I was waiting for a table, and he said, "Oh, he went to the bathroom." Like I wanted to know that. No apology for waiting 10 minutes.

Waitress was nice but didn't seem to know a thing about serving. Served food on a bare table, only gave me a fork for my salad (no knife), and whisked items away before asking if I was finished with the dishes.

Had a good nights sleep. Went to check out in the morning and there were a bunch of people (I think a convention or business group) waiting to check in, and only one person working at the desk. This place just doesn't seem to know how to put the customer first, nor how to provide top-quality service.

Room Tip: Rooms with bay view are worth the money, but you hear people on the boardwalk. If not, ask for one...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Dear Peter F, Thank you for sharing these experiences with us, and I do regret you encountered some difficulties upon your arrival, and again in our restaurant. It is always our goal to provide exceptional service, and I will, of course, discuss this with our management team. I do hope your visit in Monterey was otherwise enjoyable, and I hope you visit our area again soon.
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

After reading reviews on trip advisor we decided to stay at the Clement Monterey...and we were pleased with our choice. The room was amble size and very clean. The hotel was in a great location near the aquarium and The Cannery shops and restaurants. The beds were extremely comfortable. Misty, the concierge, was extremely courteous and helpful. Overall- a great stay!

Room Tip: water side has best views.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Palo Alto, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014 via mobile

We stayed in a room directly overlooking the Monterey Bay....views of clear seawater, otters, seals and many birds. The "C" restaurant at this hotel offered great food as well. This hotel is best experienced seaside, interior rooms are fine but not at all the same experience. Friendly staff, obligatory valet parking, easy access to the Aquarium. We also used the conference facility for a large meeting at work, all went well.

Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Clement_Management, General Manager at InterContinental The Clement Monterey, responded to this review, July 7, 2014
Dear John K, Thank you for sharing your experience with us, and I am pleased that both your stay and meeting were enjoyable. I hope we will see you again soon!
Anaheim, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2014

I first picked this hotel because it had a LivingSocial deal that included a very good daily rate plus a $25 food/beverage credit at the C Restaurant & Bar.

Overall, I highly recommend this hotel because it's only a block away from the world-famous Monterey Bay Aquarium and the rooms are very nice (typical 4 star hotel quality).

Only drawback was the rather pricey daily parking rate of $23 (valet or self park are the same rate)

Stayed June 2014
Dear b0r3dguy, I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your special booking and were able to visit the adjacent Monterey Bay Aquarium. I hope you will visit us again soon.
Best regards,
John C. Turner

Been to InterContinental The Clement Monterey? Share your experiences!