“A visit to historic Monterey should start with this hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #3 of 54 Hotels in Monterey
Napa, California
“A visit to historic Monterey should start with this hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

We hadn't been to Monterey for years when a special event we were attending in nearby Carmel brought us back to this historic town for a bit of nostalgia. Fortunately, we chose to stay at InterContinental The Clement Monterey. What a perfect choice! From our greeting at the door, to the check-in process, to our beautifully appointed room with fireplace and partial ocean view, we were completely delighted. Even the dining room was a happy surprise. Both the service and cuisine were outstanding. Of course, the hotel's superior location next to the aquarium can be beat. We were so pleased with our stay, that we are planning to return with our our children and grandchildren. We can't imagine staying anywhere else!

Room Tip: Our partial ocean view room on the 4th floor had a balcony and fireplace. We would request the same...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Clement_Management, General Manager at InterContinental The Clement Monterey, responded to this review, April 17, 2014
Dear napanapa_3, Thank you for sharing your experience, and I am pleased that we are you home away from home in Monterey. We will look forward to seeing all of you during your next visit.
John C. Turner

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (486)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Portland, Oregon
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2014

Was disappointed in our stay here. Picked this hotel because of amenities, prior experience with Intercontinental hotels and of course location near the aquarium. We stayed 3 nights, paid full normal price (no hotel.com or discount booking) and ate at the restaurant for 2 breakfasts and one dinner.

The pros:

1. right next to the aquarium
2. good view of ocean even from a 'partial sea view' room
3. room was reasonably sized

The cons: this may sound like nitpicking but when you pay this kind of money --you expect some decent service.

1. Service was poor compared to other luxury hotels we have stayed at, including other intercontinental. I feel that when you are in this price range you would expect them to know that you are a guest (e.g. the intercontinental in Kansas City has a staff that apparently strives to know who its guests are and their names.) I never got that feeling here. Staff never asked how my stay is going until checkout. Valets and doormen rarely opened doors for us and didn't even know we were staying there--in fact they tried to get out bags from our car when we returned from a short day trip.

2. along the same theme as above--no extras like coffee in the lobby (we got that at a La Quinta on a stay by the airport before leaving town--at this hotel I was told the options were the restaurant--where they did to their credit provide coffee if requested--they went back and brought 2 cups out for me--or starbucks. really ?), no free internet (but see below on that)

3. Spotty maid service. When we arrived I noted that the mini bar had some old leftovers from a prior guest-- very smelly meat. We didn't get new coffee cups the second day--so no way to make the coffee that was provided in room and on the last day they only left one regular coffee. They also didn't get to our room until after 4 one day. We intentionally got out of the room early and were gone all day, only to be disappointed it wasn't ready when we got back.

4. Mediocre restaurant. that I guess is another review--but I would say bleh food (clam chowder that tasted more like cream?).

When I checked out I was clearly not too happy about the stay. The person checking me out did comp us the internet and one beer that I had from the minibar, but also preceded to read out loud every charge I had rung up. I see you went to the restaurant blah blah blah blah. Couldn't he have just handed me the paper with the charges and asked me to review them?

So again -this may sound like nitpicking--but at the La Quinta we stayed at for one night by the airport --we got: 1. free parking. 2. free breakfast 3. pool that was 3 times the size 4. cleaner room. 5. free coffee. 6. free internet (although I did eventually get that) and paid 1/4 the price.

I guess location is everything.

This will not stop me from staying at other Intercontinental hotels, but I wouldn't really recommend this one, unless you feel very strongly about being right next door to the aquarium.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Clement_Management, General Manager at InterContinental The Clement Monterey, responded to this review, April 4, 2014
Dear christopher t, Thank you for sharing your experiences with us, and I do regret that we were unable to meet your expectations during this visit. Our management team will discuss and learn from these issues. I am pleased to hear you were able to tour the adjacent Monterey Bay Aquarium, and hope you will return to our area again soon.
Best wishes,
Lake Oswego, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2014

This was a great place to stay in a beautiful part of the world. The hotel was just what we had hoped for during some long travel. Rooms were very quite and comfortable and the location couldn't be any better if you want to be in the town of Monterey.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Fresno, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2014

We checked in & waited for the valet, never came so we locked the car and went to the front desk to find out what we should do. We were very happy at first with the room, but noticed an odor which we thought was cleaner, but it was vomit on the floor, chair and pillows. Its NoroVirus season and I feel like I need a bleach bath. I was moved to another room, but was given the response that they did not know what it was. Now I am sitting in a room next to the parking garage and listening to people yell, loud radios and I will not be coming back.

Room Tip: check the floor and the chairs before you unpack.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Dear Stacy M, Thank you for advising us of your experiences during your stay. I will discuss this with our management team and take the opportunity to review our procedures. I regret that you experienced some disappointment with your accommodations, and I wish you all the best in your future travels.
Incline Village, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014

This was my first visit to the InterContinental The Clement Monterey. The location is perfect. It is steps away from the Monterey Bay Aquarium and right in the middle of the touristy area. I arrived early and the normal check in is 4pm. I was so fortunate to be taken care of by Mark at the front desk. I had a noon meeting and asked to have access to the room at 11am. The policy is to have the room checked by a housekeeping supervisor before a guest enters. Housekeeping was very busy so Mark went to the room personally to clear it so that I could check in! That was quite impressive customer service. The room was well appointed and even had a gas fireplace. It had a great view of the water and the street. The bed was comfortable and the bath amenities were high quality and smelled great. One downside is they charge for parking but that is kind of normal for a touristy area. The concierge was able to sell us tickets for the aquarium so we did not have to wait in line. Great staff and comfortable stay! Will be coming back soon!!

Room Tip: Try to get a room with a view of the water!
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Clement_Management, General Manager at InterContinental The Clement Monterey, responded to this review, March 28, 2014
Dear Sandy B,
Thank you for sharing your experience with us, and I am delighted to hear that you found our associate Mark to be so helpful. I am glad you enjoyed your time with us, and hope you will be back soon!
Best wishes,
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2014

Everything about the stay was top notch. Rooms are very very clean and lovely decor. Nicer that almost all the hotels we have been to. Breakfast in the restaurant was great as they use lots of the local produce. Location is awesome right in cannery row but then you can go for a walk or run along the path that parallels the ocean.

Room Tip: suites were large and worth it.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear 2pinacolodas, I am pleased that you enjoyed our hotel and C Restaurant + Bar, and it sounds like you found time for a walk along the adjacent coastal trailway. I hope you won’t wait too long to return!
Best regards,
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2014

Great in town location. Two buildings with one on the water and one connected by a sky bridge on the town side. Rooms are clean and nice. Moderate size but nice. Nice bar and restaurant. Nice staff. The valet staff is great with Tyler being a great help.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Adam K, I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your time with us, and found our associates to be helpful. We all hope to see you again very soon.
John C. Turner

Been to InterContinental The Clement Monterey? Share your experiences!