“Worth every penny!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 53 Hotels in Monterey
North Vancouver, Canada
“Worth every penny!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

I confess...I forgot that Monterery is cold in the summer! After getting over that initial shock and the fact that our hotel was right smack in the middle of the busiest part of the tourist district, things just got better. The hotel was right next to the Aquarium and you could walk and bike everywhere. Super location.
We requested an oceanview room and we could sit in our room and watch the ocean highway flow by, busy with sea otters, whales, pelicans, sea lions all going somewhere all day long. In spite of the very busy district, our room was quiet. With our window open, we could hear the waves sloshing under the hotel (yes, the hotel is built partially over the ocean).
During the cold evenings, you can sit on the outside deck around a cozy fire drinking a glass
of wine. Which we did. The room itself was very unstated but large and comfortable and the bed was excellent!
All around, very helpful and friendly staff. We did not eat in the restaurant in the evenings because we felt it was too expensive and didn't like the menu; we did eat delicious breakfasts there every morning. If I had to criticize anything, it would be the pool. A ridiculous size for an expensive hotel. But, having said that, who wants to swim in a pool in Monterey? We sure didn't, way too busy being out and about. And did I mention it was cold? Bring your warm jackets and jeans! And forget about the pool.
Great hotel....would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Request a partial oceanview room overlooking the bay. It costs more...but so worth it! Quiet and lo...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Clement_Management, General Manager at InterContinental The Clement Monterey, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
Dear Ellen F, I am pleased that you found our associates to be friendly and helpful, and enjoyed the views from your room and the Pacific View Courtyard. We hope to see you here again very soon.
Best regards,
John C. Turner

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (392)
  • Greek first
Chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

We just returned from a five-night trip to California during which we stayed in different lodging each nigh while travelling the coast from SF to LA. The Clement was our favorite hotel. Our third floor room was spacious, well appointed and quite comfortable. We especially appreciated the sizable bathroom and exceptional shower. The fireplace was a nice touch also. The location, right on the water in the heart of Cannery Row, is unmatched. Shopping, dining, and attractions are all within walking distance. The hotel’s private deck above the bay is equipped with fire pits and comfortable chairs, perfect for an after-dinner drink as the sun sets.

Now for the only downside – after arriving back at our room after dinner, around 10:00, we began to notice a faint odor, which we later determined to be the smell of vomit. Walking about in bare feet, I realized an area on the floor at the base of one of the beds was damp. My sense was that someone had been sick in the room recently, and an attempt has been made to clean the mess.

It was late, we were tired, and so decided to make the best of it rather than asking to be relocated to a different room. The following morning, upon checkout, I mentioned our experience to the front desk representative. She was apologetic, but offered no discount or credit toward our bill, which surprised me a bit. I would stay at the Clement again in a heartbeat, but I will admit that the experience did dampen my enthusiasm a bit (no pun intended).

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
france
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

Just on the shore of the ocean. If you are lucky your room will also be looking onthe ocean. Cannery row and all its restaurants are just down the street. They have a beautiful gym. The only bad thing is their pool. I should have been warned by the fact that it was not called swimming pool. Indeed it is only a basin for children. When I asked why it was so small, I was told it is due to the cold weather. Comparing to the level of the hotel I expected at least an indoor pool. However everybody is very nice and helpful.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

Nice place to stay. Right on Cannery Row. Views are fantastic and location is great. We rented two room in September of 2012. Very comfortable. Staff is helpful. Very close to the aquarium and shopping.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Dear psychtravel, Thank you for sharing your comments with us, and we hope to see you again soon here in Monterey.
John C. Turner
Bear, DE
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

We stayed here in early May (I'm late posting my review). From the courtesy of the Valet Parking, Front Desk, and housekeepers, this hotel was Excellent. The location is perfect. We had a room with view to the Ocean and Cannery Row. The Valet parking is very convenient and the guys do a super job getting your car fast and providing with information as needed. The rooms are very modern and very clean. The fireplace is a nice touch.
The restaurant is probably the best in the area, though it is expensive, but everything in the area is expensive, so I did not mind. I would eat there every night (unless I'm not in Monterrey).
For breakfast we just walked to Starbucks which is around the corner.
I will stay here again when we're back.

Room Tip: Room with View to Cannery Row and Ocean- (not in the main buidling).
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

Unfortunately only stayed one night in July 2013 in this wonderful hotel. The staff were very friendly and helpful during our stay. Our room was beautiful with fantastic balcony with views of Cannery Row. Just wish we could have stayed longer.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Mechanicsburg, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

We belong to the Intercontinental Ambassador Program which is a rewards program where you pay $200 annually to enjoy its benefits. I did NOT get treated in the level of service expected as an Ambassador. I understand that my room was not ready upon my arrival at 10:30 am, but was sent up to an uncleaned room when I was told my room was ready at 1:00. When I called the front desk, they said to come back down and they would assign me a new room. Upon returning to the lobby, I was informed that there were no other rooms and they offered to store my bags AGAIN. I declined, traipsed back up to my dirty room with my bags and left them there with the maid cleaning. I did receive an upgraded, partial bay view room, which was nice. I also received a call from the manager at 9pm to apologize for the confusion at check-in, which was nice, but received no offer of compensation. Free parking or a complimentary dessert would have been appropriate. The next morning when I went down to get a cup of coffee to take back to my room seemed to be a monumental request as if no one had ever asked for that before. I enjoy properties that have complimentary coffee bars set up in the lobby for their guests. We have stayed many times at the Times Square Intercontinental in NYC and have always enjoyed their level if service which is why we chose the Intercontinental in Monterey. Overall, nothing really special about this hotel other than its location next to the Monterey Bay Aquarium, which is fabulous!

• Stayed August 2013

Been to InterContinental The Clement Monterey? Share your experiences!