“Lovely spot on the river” 4 of 5 stars

Village Inn & Restaurant
20822 River Boulevard, Monte Rio, CA 95462   |
Ranked #1 of 5 Monte Rio B&B and Inns
Oakland, California
“Lovely spot on the river”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2011

We came here for the Fourth of July weekend with our 18mos daughter. The hotel was really convenient to the village beach activities. We had a wonderful view of the fireworks from the hotel lawn so I would absolutely recommend if you're looking for a great place to stay over the holiday weekend.

The hotel is comfortable and quiet. The restaurant deck is fabulous to dine on and the server was very accommodating for the baby. We were probably the only ones here with a kid so I would not particularly call this a kid-friendly spot, but baby girl was well-behaved and didn't shatter the tranquility for the other guests getting their romance on.

Room Tip: Studio G is absolutely the best room in the place with it's own deck and wonderful river views.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Auberry, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2011

The Village Inn is so much fun and relaxing. The owners Mark and Phillip are the best, friendly and helpful with anything and everything. The Russian River views are great and with the restaurant and bar you never have to leave.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Sierra Nevadas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2010

Might have gotten their best room, ("G"), but we loved ours. It was spacious, with French doors, and private deck with a beautiful, expansive view of the Russian River. Very quiet, and with a comfortable bed. We met friends (locals) for dinner--it's one of their favorite places. All four of our dinners were excellent, but the (special) rack of lamb was just perfect. Great wine list and reasonable prices. Thank you, Mark and Philip.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Nashville, TN
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2010

I apologize in advance if this review sounds harsh...

My husband and I stayed for 3 nights at the Village Inn. Upon arrival, we walked up into the small lobby area and were immediately overwhelmed with a horrible smell. I can't quite pinpoint the smell - old, musky, mildew-ish mixed in with the smell of food from the restaurant. Next, we were given our key and told our room was in the lodge with a river view and balcony. We went up another flight of steps lugging our bags (warning - no elevator or bell hop in this place - be prepared to climb steps with your suitcase) and entered our room. The smell in our room was the same as the lobby, but the staff must have sprayed cheap air freshener to lessen the oder. So add that to the smell - old musky, food, freesia-esque. Quickly glancing in the room I was appalled at the small size. The carpet looked as if it has been installed 10 years ago - very cheap with the corners not meeting the edge of the room. There were stains all over, absolutely disgusting. I am by no means a neat-freak, but I can honestly say that I did not let my bare feet touch the carpet one time during the stay. On to the bathroom... I wish I had taken pictures to capture it. Let's just say that my college dorm bathroom was bigger and nicer. The shower is a stand up stall, very small and difficult to shave legs. The water pressure and temperature were actually good. Sitting on the toilet I had to turn my legs so as to not hit the sink. There was a flimsy sliding door to separate from the rest of the room. The "balcony" door had a sign saying not to enter because it was "under construction." I opened the door anyway and saw a 5'X5' wooden balcony that was covered with bugs and filth. Given, beyond that was the river, so that was nice. When choosing rooms I had envisioned sitting on the balcony with a glass of wine. Not so much. The balcony wouldn't hold a dog safely. On to the bed. The bed was actually very comfortable. My husband and I slept reasonably well. We did have to listen the the beat of the restaurant music directly below our room until 11 or 12 PM. The walls in this place are paper-thin. I could hear when the adjacent room flushed a toilet or coughed or talked. Not to give too much info, but my husband and I did not feel comfortable participating in any "romantic activities" while in this room out of fear that others could hear us. Keep that in mind if any of you are honeymooners.

Pros: Good patio area by the river, decent location to Guerneville and the coast. Maybe the rooms outside of the lodge are better.

Overall, I could have found a much nicer place for $200/night. Save your money and go elsewhere.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2010

Village Inn is a wonderful place to stay. We were here last spring and loved our room with a view and the entire ambience of this vintage hotel. Lovely gardens, splendid hosts, and a great place from which to take off for a 1 mile walk or a tour around the coast or Armstrong Redwoods.This year's winter rates were an offer we could not refuse, so we didn't. Had a lovely three days, despite filthy weather the last day. But the room and the bar were so welcoming that the rain did not spoil things.
The celebratory 83rd birthday dinner was one of the best meals we have had: outstanding petrale sole and chicken livers. We were especially grateful for a moderately priced wine list--what we paid for was what we got--good wine with only a very moderate markup.We liked out dinner wine so much we went searching for it and discovered that, if we could get it, we would pay only a few dollars less than what we had paid in the restaurant. That is value.
We are always looking for dog friendly hotels because that is the way we travel. Mostly we have had to go to Carmel , but we do love the river, and have rented houses up here before to accomodate our little canine familyof two.
We will look forward to returning to the Village Inn--wonderful hosts and a wondrful atmosphere.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Scotland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2009

This hotel has a good view over the river and a nice patio area at the back. Also, room 20 has lots of space and a nice balcony. However, the other rooms are not so nice, especially the rooms in the lodge which are pretty small and don't get much light. In my opinion the food was pretty ordinary and a little over-priced. There was a bar, but it was closed much of the time. The staff, however, were generally pretty friendly and helpful. We were in town as part of a tour, but the town is a little bit scruffy. I'm not sure if I would
recommend Monte Rio for a visit unless you enjoy a bohemian experience!

• Stayed July 2009
Pittsboro N.C.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2009

Service was just okay in restaurant. Waitress seemed to forget us for periods of time even though not very busy. Food was fair and over priced for quality, taste etc. Just not very good. Restaurant and hotel seemd dated , location right on the river is very nice

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Village Inn & Restaurant? Share your experiences!