“Shabby and depressing...” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Ocean View Inn

You added Ocean View Inn to your Saves list
Ocean View Inn
2.0 of 5 Inn   |   8425 Cabrillo Highway, Montara, CA 94037 (Formerly Farallone Inn)   |
Ranked #2 of 2 Montara B&B and Inns
Vancouver, Canada
“Shabby and depressing...”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

We had booked a double room three months in advance. When we arrived, the patron informed us that they had been overbooked and asked if we might take two queen rooms instead. Getting a bad vibe about the place, particularly because of its obvious disrepair and lack of cleanliness, we asked to first see the rooms. While it was 3:30, one room had yet to be made up, and was dirty and dreary. We took our business elsewhere.

Room Tip: Found fantastic accommodation options, with beatiful setting and eateries, just 5 min. down the high...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Tania M, Manager at Ocean View Inn, responded to this review, March 2, 2013
Dear Sir/Ma'am,

We are so terribly sorry that in spite of advance booking our staff had not presented the rooms and accommodated you appropriately! It's in excusable. We are very sorry for all the inconvenience!

We hope you will give us an opportunity to make it up to you some day. We apologize once again.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
McArthur, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

My daughter & I read good reviews, so we booked. The proprietor was very nice & accommodating. We entered #5 and the odor knocked us back (smelled like a swimming pool). The disrepair was unbelievable. Holes in the wall & ceiling, threadbare curtains & bed cover, stuffing coming out of the couch (covered up with a blanket), cigarette burns on the carpet. But the great one was the sliding glass door was rattling from the breeze, so it sounded like someone was trying to get in. I stuffed pillows, plastic cutlery and anything I could find to secure the glass so we could sleep. With windows open or closed, the traffic sounded like it was driving through the room. The light in the bathroom was broken, as was the jetted tub. It was like being in a house of horrors.

Room Tip: Ask to see your room! Maybe others have been renovated?
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Tania M, Manager at Ocean View Inn, responded to this review, March 2, 2013
Dear Susie,

We are so terribly sorry for your harrowing experience! We have renovated the rooms, and I truly wish you would give us another chance to make it up to you. We strive to make our guests as much comfortable as possible. We apologize once again for your bad experience.
Eureka, California, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

My husband and I where on our way from Eureka, CA to Monterey, CA. We where riding our motorcycles and by the time we got to Montara it was dark, foggy, and cold. We pulled over at this little inn and we where met my a very nice receptionist that greeted us with a warm and welcoming smile. She informed us that the Inn was under new management and under renovation. She also asked if we would like to see the room before we paid, in which we agreed. The room was LOVELY and quit large with a great view of the ocean from the deck. Right away we said we would take it. Our next trip we will definitely be staying here again but we will pay the extra $10 for the penthouse!! The jacuzzi tub........I tell you, after riding over 300 miles down Hwy 1, was the perfect end to a days ride.

Room Tip: Pay the extra $10 for the pent house its beautiful you WONT regret it!!!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
San antonio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

My wife and I stay at local Bed and Breakfast inns when we travel, this was by far the worst we have ever stayed in. The quality of the rooms was sub-par. Drapes nailed to the wall, curtain rods falling from the wall and all bent. Unable to open sliding door to "deck" because of rust and grime. But that was a good thing, since the partial view of the ocean also included the top of the gas station (turns out they don't clean up there). My wife wouldn't sleep on the sheets, kept her clothes on... Missing light fixtures, no extra privacy locks on doors. Restroom was dirty and needed to be swept and mopped when we arrived.
Paint peeling from the walls, wallpaper trim peeling from the walls.
Located inland of PCH (pacific coast highway)...so Lots of road noise into the evening making sleep difficult.
The food was extremely bland and we only ate it once, we went out for bkfst rest of the trip! So much for a 'bed & bkfst' experience.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Palo Alto, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2012

OK, I didn't expect the Ritz. I didn't even count on an ocean view. But I did count on Ocean View delivering on what was promised: bed and breakfast. When we arrived, however, the owner told us that the cafe next store that usually serves breakfast had had a gas leak. We assumed some other provision would be made. The room was OK. There was no view. The bed was OK. The problems started the next morning when I tried to take a shower: There was no hot water. (My husband, who is heartier than I, took a lukewarm shower.) Disgruntled, we packed, headed downstairs, wondering about breakfast. There was none to be had. The cafe was indeed closed. There was no coupon for another cafe.There was no offered discount on our room rate. There was no apology. There was not even a cup of coffee. And what of the so-called breakfast? It was a smattering of the cheapest individually packaged coffee cakes and a container of some kind of orange drink (not juice). Now that I read this, I wonder why we didn't say anything to the woman at the desk about the hot water or the breakfast. At the time, however, Ocean View's message seemed clear: Tough luck.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2012

I was there for one day, on my way driving up to San Francisco and was looking for a place to relax before entering the city itself. I certainly found it. The views are great, the room was much bigger and better equipped than I expected, the location is awesome! You can see the ocean from almost every room in this hotel, but if you like the sea like I do, just cross the road and sit on a rock, observing sunset... The breakfast next morning was very delicious too! :)

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2012 via mobile

We where looking to stay some place different than your run of the mill hotel and we found it. We checked in around 8 and the friendly gentalmen at the front gave us a tour of the property and told us about all the history. This place really turned our night around because we blew out our tire on the way here and wasn't in a good mood. I'm writing this review from the room incredibly hung over but I just got back from eating their breakfast which is made to order we had eggs bacon hash browns toast and milk. Which worked wonders on my hangover. And you cant forget that every room has a jacuzzi tub. I highly recommend staying here if you get a chance.

• Stayed February 2012

Been to Ocean View Inn? Share your experiences!