“Bed, no breakfast” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Ocean View Inn

Save Saved
You added Ocean View Inn to your Saves list
Ocean View Inn
2.0 of 5 Inn   |   8425 Cabrillo Highway, Montara, CA 94037 (Formerly Farallone Inn)   |
Ranked #2 of 2 Montara B&B and Inns
Palo Alto, California
“Bed, no breakfast”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2012

OK, I didn't expect the Ritz. I didn't even count on an ocean view. But I did count on Ocean View delivering on what was promised: bed and breakfast. When we arrived, however, the owner told us that the cafe next store that usually serves breakfast had had a gas leak. We assumed some other provision would be made. The room was OK. There was no view. The bed was OK. The problems started the next morning when I tried to take a shower: There was no hot water. (My husband, who is heartier than I, took a lukewarm shower.) Disgruntled, we packed, headed downstairs, wondering about breakfast. There was none to be had. The cafe was indeed closed. There was no coupon for another cafe.There was no offered discount on our room rate. There was no apology. There was not even a cup of coffee. And what of the so-called breakfast? It was a smattering of the cheapest individually packaged coffee cakes and a container of some kind of orange drink (not juice). Now that I read this, I wonder why we didn't say anything to the woman at the desk about the hot water or the breakfast. At the time, however, Ocean View's message seemed clear: Tough luck.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

41 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2012

I was there for one day, on my way driving up to San Francisco and was looking for a place to relax before entering the city itself. I certainly found it. The views are great, the room was much bigger and better equipped than I expected, the location is awesome! You can see the ocean from almost every room in this hotel, but if you like the sea like I do, just cross the road and sit on a rock, observing sunset... The breakfast next morning was very delicious too! :)

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2012 via mobile

We where looking to stay some place different than your run of the mill hotel and we found it. We checked in around 8 and the friendly gentalmen at the front gave us a tour of the property and told us about all the history. This place really turned our night around because we blew out our tire on the way here and wasn't in a good mood. I'm writing this review from the room incredibly hung over but I just got back from eating their breakfast which is made to order we had eggs bacon hash browns toast and milk. Which worked wonders on my hangover. And you cant forget that every room has a jacuzzi tub. I highly recommend staying here if you get a chance.

• Stayed February 2012
Vienna, Austria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2011

Dear Dee Patel,
dear Nemu & Karina,

I'm already back to Austria and my holiday is over. BUT for my whole holiday in California your Ocean View Inn was the best! This has especially a lot to do with your personal effort! Thank you so much once again for everything. It was a pity and I really regret that I couldn't stay longer than for one night.
I'll definitely come back to you again due to the lovely and nicely arranged accomodation and most of all to see and meet you again! Thank you!!!

Wish you all the best and best regards from Vienna, Christian F.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
West Hollywood, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2011

My new wife and I had the pleasure of staying at this lovely bed and breakfast while on our honeymoon mid September. We were treated with great respect and felt like royalty when we viewed our room for the first time. We had great vaulted ceilings, very comfy bed, and a large deck/patio with a ocean view. Definitely eat at the restaurant next store, its amazing. We had the most delicious pizza ever, all fresh and hand made right in front of us. Only a few miles away from Half moon bays charming Main street. The husband and wife running it were very kind and warm. A hot breakfast and coffee was also provided via complementary room service. Would highly recommend this hotel and look forward to a return in the near future.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Elk Grove, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2011

Even with some of the renovations already completed, this place is still a dive motel, not a Bed and Breakfast (even though it is listed as one on several websites). They do serve you breakfast, but no amount of remodeling (and there is still a LOT that needs to be done) is going to turn this into a quiet place to get away. The staff was pleasant, so I feel bad I can't give anything but a very negative review.

Our initial room had not been remodeled and was falling apart. We asked for a different room (and they moved us immediately), and while the new room had some updates, there was still some peeling wallpaper, water stains, broken drapes, a funny smell and obvious patch jobs. The windows and sliding doors to the dilapidated deck are old and thin, and the only way to drown out the highway noise was to leave the room AC unit blowing all night. The mattress was uncomfortably hard.

Breakfast (eggs, bacon, fruit, potatoes, toast, OJ) was decent but nothing remarkable.

For HALF the price we paid, if the remodel was complete, I could imagine calling this a cheap, quirky place to stay the night on a road trip, but at the price we paid, it was a very poor value.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Montara hotels

florence
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2011

We booked our room in advance-which was a mistake considering there were no reviews for the new owners. While the inn has potential, they should not rent the rooms until they have been remodeled. It felt dirty. If nothing else, replace the filthy shower curtain, curtains, bedspreads, etc. before renting. The caretakers/owners were very nice, but that does not make up for the horrible condition of the rooms. We would not stay there again. Also, the locks are not secure enough. The sliding glass door could be accessed easily and the front door to the inn was never locked. Had we not paid in advance, we would have left. My husband would not even bring his luggage in-he left it in the car. Wait until the inn is remodeled and then check it out before you pay.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Ocean View Inn? Share your experiences!