“Better Choices in the area” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #56 of 119 Restaurants in Monrovia
Good for: Local cuisine, Outdoor seating
Dining options: Reservations
Nevada
“Better Choices in the area”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

We live in the area and have never been to Café Mundial, so we were excited to try someplace new. Living social had a coupon available so I bought one and figured this would be the best way to check out this restaurant.

Where do I start? First we arrived at the restaurant, it was my wife’s birthday, we were seated right away (good sign). After being seated I noticed we were in the bar section, the main area was completely empty and there was one patron sitting at the bar talking to the bartender. The only people that were there for dinner were out on the patio.

It took a long time for our waitress to come by and take a drink order, then she disappeared, she finally came back and took our dinner order, The specials they offered that night did not sound all that appetizing ( a fish with a curry sauce- is this an Italian restaurant or an Indian restaurant. Our waitress left as soon as she got the order down. I went to find her to tell her it was my wife’s birthday,as I got up my heavy metal chair fell over made a huge thud, not one came to see what had happened. I could not find our waitress. Turns out she was the only waitress for the entire restaurant that evening, as well as the greater and the person answering the phone! The only thing they didn’t have her doing was tending bar!

For our dinner we ordered two salads, an asparagus appetizer and a pizza. At this point I told her (in front of my wife) that it was my wife’s birthday. I would like for them to have brought her something with a candle in it as a surprise but there was no way to find my waitress!

So now we wait, and wait (remember it’s not that busy) we hadn’t even received bread at our table, finally bread is brought to our table, it came with a serving of hummus. Is this an Italian restaurant or Middle Eastern restaurant? Café Mundial is definitely going through an identity crisis.

A few moments (and I mean a few moments) later our dinner arrived; our asparagus appetizer and our salads arrived at the same time. The salads were huge (think claim jumper style food) even though I had inquired about portion sizes before we ordered and was told the salads were not that large. We had enough salad for a week! Back to the appetizer, it was undercooked. Enough said about that. Next came our main entrée – a pizza which was not that tasty. At the end of the meal the waitress did bring some ice cream with a candle in it for my wife.

Overall a very bad dining experience. I don’t fault the waitress; she did her best having to be the only one for the entire restaurant. I fault management for being totally understaffed. I won’t be back and DO NOT recommend this restaurant. If you want a good Italian restaurant in the area, Bella Sera is right down the street, has a better menu, is better staffed, and the food is light-years better then Café Mundial.

• Visited June 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Monrovia, California
“Warm atmosphere for a nice dinner”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2012 via mobile

A nice neighborhood spot for a special dinner. Cozy atmosphere and attentive service. The pork tenderloin is my favorite. The bar area is small but their cocktails are good and the wine list offers a nice selection. A perfect place for a nice dinner without breaking the bank.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Monrovia, California
“Cafe Mundial, returned after an absence”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2012

We used to go to Cafe Mundial a bit more frequently, but have been trying other restaurants for maybe a year. This month we had dinner at Cafe Mundial twice, and it's now back in the rotation.

Hubby often has a pasta dish or a steak or porkchop, and I seem to usually have fish or shellfish, or risotto, or paella, and we both choose the delicious house salad with shaved parmesan, sliced almonds, a hint of sweetness in the vinagrette dressing. The toasty-edged bread rectangles and hummus/olive oil lake in the middle are a staple, having been on the menu as long as I've been going here. It seemed a notch better on this occasion than I remembered, too!

We usually order martinis but this time brought a bottle of wine from home (reasonable $10 corkage fee). A friendly waitress walked by (she wasn't serving our table, but said hi) recognized us even after a long time away, and remembered the martini's. No we didn't have one (this time).

I had black and white linguine with smoked salmon, vodka creme sauce. It was a great combo! Hubby had chicken fettucini with vodka creme sauce, and he loved his too. Maybe we should have had those martini's tho' we make ours with gin :-) Both were fabulous, and we took half home for dinner the next night!

The small lounge with half-moon shaped bar is a lovely spot for a dessert and drink (we've done that too, and will again). On this night the LA Kings were playing and a group of fans were enjoying rooting for the home team watching the game on the TV. Sitting closer to the bar gave us a nice sight line of the starry ironwork decor, chair back, lighting and more. It's a really pretty restaurant with great lighting, good service, and fine food - a little from here and there, something to suit everyone with a big or little appetite.

With the pasta/house salad priced under $18 and the $10 corkage, this wasn't an expensive dinner, either, guaranteeing more visits from us soon. We usually have dessert and coffee, but went home for ice cream and single malt instead.

• Visited June 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Average at best...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2012

Food is ok... average at best. Ive definitely had better food for a lot less money.

Visited February 2012
Monrovia, CA
“Wonderful!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2012

We love Cafe Mundial! The food is excellent and decently priced. A great atmosphere to relax with a nice glass of wine, enjoy the tasty food, and gelato for dessert - yummy! And the entertainment on Saturdays is fantastic!

• Visited May 2012