“Charming Piece of History” 5 of 5 stars

The Hotel Leger
8304 Main Street, Mokelumne Hill, CA 95245   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Mokelumne Hill
Medford, Oregon
“Charming Piece of History”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2014

My husband and I stayed at this hotel last week for 2 nights. The hotel is charming, the owners and staff helpful and friendly and the food in the restaurant is superb!

I did have an experience in room 11 that I could not explain which spooked me a bit but would not prevent me from coming back.

There is a rich history throughout the area and it was fun to explore. Will be back again in the future!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Roseville, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2014

My husband and I stayed 2 nights here a couple of weeks ago, and it was wonderful. I purchased a deal from Amazon/Living Social for 2 nights, and it came with a bottle of wine, nut sampler from a local shop, a ghost hunting kit (!!), and $25 dining credit to the restaurant/saloon (totally love that there is a saloon in this hotel).

We stayed in room 10, which was large and had a private bathroom. The room was a little chilly (ghost activity?!), but the blankets were more than cozy enough to keep us warm, and the bed was comfy. The bathroom looked like it had been remodeled in recent years and everything was in great condition. As everyone has mentioned, there are no tvs or phones in the rooms, which I loved. One of the reasons we got room 10 was that I noticed on the website there was going to be live music both nights we were there, and the rooms in the front of the hotel are very loud. We could still hear the music in room 10, but it was muffled enough that we could sleep.

We ate at the restaurant twice, once for lunch and once for dinner, and both were yummy! The chicken bacon sandwich was delicious. When we were there, they were having their Mardi Gras party, with live music, a buffet, and drink specials. I'm pretty sure the whole town was there! It was awesome.

The best part of this hotel is the warm service and lovely people. On Saturday morning, we asked David (one of the owners) for suggestions on what to do all day, and he gave us about a million options, then when we narrowed it down, he printed us out a map with directions (in case our GPS didn't get service) for a loop around several little Gold Country towns. We took his suggestions and had a great time. It is an absolutely beautiful area and the historic towns are so fun!

Breakfast was pretty good, it's not extravagant BUT they had thick cinnamon raisin bread that my husband went crazy over, english muffins, pb&j, and a yogurt/cottage cheese bar. The coffee was also good; much better than your typical hotel coffee. The only downside of this hotel and the reason I took one star away is not really the fault of the hotel, but it was difficult how there was no other restaurants in town besides the hotel! We had no choice but to eat there unless we wanted to venture out again on a 20 min drive. Luckily the food was delicious so it wasn't a disappointment!

Overall, we LOVED our weekend and can't wait to stay here over summer when we can use the pool!

Room Tip: Check on the website to see which rooms are louder-- some are right over the saloon and the walls ar...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Oakland, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2014

We stayed at the Hotel Leger for two nights with another couple. It was a delightful experience.
I must say that the breakfast was underwhelming. We had a voucher for some dinner, but the only night on which we could take advantage of it was when they were closed.

Overall, I'd give it a B+ and well worth the money we paid on a Living Social voucher. I sure hope the lovely couple who own the place make a go of it. We really need more of these kind of historic, homey places.

Chuck

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends

Murphys, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2014

If you're looking for a lovely, "off-the-beaten-path" hotel in the Gold Country this is it! It gives you a glimpse of the Gold Rush Era without sacrificing comfort and security. I loved watching the town come to life in the morning from my perch on the balcony outside my room and after a delicious breakfast enjoyed a stroll around a town bursting with charm and history.

Room Tip: rooms overlooking Main Street have access to a large balcony
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends

Goleta, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2014

My stay at Hotel Leger was prompted by a family emergency. The hospitality of the owners and staff went way beyond the norm, and I am grateful to them for their thoughtfulness. The accommodations themselves were charming; the food in their restaurant was delicious. My stay at the hotel added a measure of warmth to an otherwise sad occasion. Moke Hill is steeped in the history of the Gold Rush, and Hotel Leger lets you go back in time to those days. I also gave it a 4 instead of 5 because it doesn't have what most people associate with a 5 star hotel--no air-conditioning, no TV (though it does have wi-fi); but I appreciated the quiet, and air-conditioning wasn't necessary in October when I was there. I would heartily recommend the Hotel Leger to anyone!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo

Camarillo, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2014

I just visit this place over the valentine weekend for the first time with my family and friends and we had so much fun, the owners are doing a great job, their staff is incredible friendly and helpful, the locals are so friendly, the hotel is so unique with the antique decoration, the rooms are nice and clean, room service it's amazing, the food was excellent, supposedly the hotel is hunted and so if you request they will provide you a ghost hunt equipment box so you can go hunting for ghost at the basement where the old jail used to be or through the hotel, my son he is 12 years old had fun with that. I will highly recommended It's a great place and the people are just amazing friendly and helpful. I'm definitely coming back!!!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Lincoln, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2014 via mobile

What an neat place to visit. I have stayed at the Hotel Leger 4 times. No phones, no TV's (good wifi however) it doesn't get better. Explore the old jail and soak up the history, and guest rooms are a trip back in time. The new owners are really making a effort (and succeeding) to make this a real place to visit. I love the restaurant, every meal I have had there is excellent. The bar is a friendly place to have a drink or two. The staff have always been great but the new owners are hands on and that is way better! I have had a couple of experiences that are very hard to explain, I'm thinking it really is haunted. I'm already planning visit #5, try it, you will like it I'm sure. Be sure to ask for in-room bathroom when booking your room.

Stayed October 2013, traveled solo

Been to The Hotel Leger? Share your experiences!