“A little piece of the south, in Modesto ” 4 of 5 stars

209-526-0969
Improve this listing
Ranked #19 of 463 Restaurants in Modesto
Cuisines: Seafood
“A little piece of the south, in Modesto ”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2014

I went here with my parents for a late dinner (they were closing soon), and it was so good!! It was my first time at the Catfish House, which I have lived in Modesto almost my whole life, so I am not sure why I waited so long.

The decor was awesome, think True Blood's Merlot's, that is the kind of feeling I got. Things were simple, rustic, wood and metal, laid back and casual.

The servers were great, fast on the refills, good with the memory, and constantly moving. Even though they were cleaning up for closing, they never stopped serving us, we always felt like we were taken care of.

The food was so delicious! I had the shrimp, which was amazing. I did try the blackened catfish, and that too was soooo good! While you are waiting you get fries, hushpuppies and coleslaw (which is not all liquidy, it was amazing!!) you get a side of beans and rice with your meal, so much food, I could not even finish mine.

The food is not healthy by any means, but if what you are wanting is good down home cooking, in a casual atmosphere, this is the place for you!! It is not real cheap, so make sure you go knowing you are gonna spend a little money (but so worth it)!!

Hattiesburg, Mississippi
“Go with a group so you can share!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

There are way too many amazing menu items to possibly try them all alone! The ribeye steak is better than I've had at almost any steakhouse. The crawfish enchiladas are knock-out amazing. The catfish is truly southern fried. The peach cobbler is stellar!! And, where else in California are you going to find frog legs or alligator?! I'm from the south, and the atmosphere made me feel like I was back home in Mississippi!

• Visited July 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Modesto, California, Usa
“Picayune, Mississippi meets Modesto, California”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

The Farmer's Catfish House is a unique and wonderful experience. Catfish is, of course, one of the most sublime specimens of river cuisine. Having grown up on the Mississippi River, I can attest to the delicate and sublime flavor of these magnificent creatures. The Farmer's Catfish House takes that theme and runs with it, serving heaping plates of hush puppies, cole slaw and french fries (hint: don't count the carbs...) along with menu items like alligator and frog legs. They aren't open every day, and you have to wander out into the countryside to find them, but it's well worth the effort. The catfish they serve are exquisite, but not quite as good as I cook myself. But the deep south vibe is authentic and appreciated. The proprietors are reportedly from the town of Picayune, Mississippi, a place I have fond memories of - having once applied for a job at the Picayune newspaper, and having spent a day or two there soaking up the, um, atmosphere. I was too yankee for the newspaper, although I loved the bayous.... But i digress. I recommend the catfish, and the frog legs. I was indifferent to the alligator, but that may be because I kind of like the critters in their natural setting.

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Marksville, Louisiana
“Great Little Place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013

Coming from Louisiana, I was glad to find this little gem to remind me of home. The atmosphere was great, the staff perfect, and the food was close enough to Southern Cuisine that I was happy. Our group ordered just about everything on the menu and almost everything was good. There were a few items that fared a little worse than the others, but overall a great find. The gumbo wasn't really gumbo, but a thick soup with too much roux. The oysters were also on the salty side, my guess is they also put salt in the batter they fry them in. Everything else was great though.

It's a little out of the way, but still manages to be packed on the weekends from what I've seen. They also have a link to coupons on their website which are very nice.

• Visited November 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Modesto
“Delicious Catfish”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

We went with friends to take advantage of the senior menu. You had to order by 6:00pm which we did. I had the catfish and my spouse had the crawfish enchilada. To begin with the waitress brought us hush puppies, french fries and coleslaw was brought to our table. Then our meal came, with rice, beans and french bread with butter along with the very delicious catfish. Both of our meals were VERY DELICIOUS!
Our friends also brought a bottle of wine. They charged $5.00 for corkage. Very reasonable.
We had a very helpful and attentive waitress.

• Visited November 2013