“Modesto, California, worth a return visit” 5 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Save up to 20%
Ranked #8 of 20 Hotels in Modesto
Victoria
“Modesto, California, worth a return visit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2009

After a long day of travelling on the motorbike, we arrived in Modesto, not knowing what to expect.
We stayed at the Best Western Town House Lodge, which is located in a very convenient downtown area. There is a Victorian Mansion, Public Library and parks nearby. A Farmer's Market on Saturday mornings is worth a visit. Service was first class and the rooms are recently renovated in a boutique style which are comparable to some very pricey hotels I have stayed at. Restaurants, theatres, shops are close by.
On a return visit I would like the time to see more of the galleries and cultural events.
The downside would be the appearance of some people drinking and loitering in the downtown area but maybe that comes with any city. However, the hotel is first-rate.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Modesto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2009

My home flooded I stayed for a month it was a home away from home for us, they provide a Breakfast room with a good Continental Breakfast variety of foods, We used about every restraunt in town and Denny's and Jack in the Box is within walking distance, with a teenager it was perfict, The McHenry Mansion is next door,The New Gallo Center is just a few blocks away, there's parks and lots of things to do around town

• Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
Sacramento, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2008

My wife and I were visiting some friends in the area and chose this hotel mainly because of it's location. There was another hotel a little closer (the Knight's Inn) but from a previous trip to the area we figured it was hotel that was best avoided since we saw the police several times at that location arresting people.

The hotel staff was very efficient and got us checked in quickly. The room was clean and quiet. The only complaint I might have about the place is that my laptop had an awful time making and holding an outgoing wi-fi connection. Not a big priority for me on this particular trip so didn't bother taking the time to complain about it to management. I suspect the source of the problem probably had something to do with the fact that the wi-fi service had absolutely no security in place (no password required, etc) and was completely open to the general public.

Several restaurants in a variety of price ranges were within easy walking distance. And on Saturday morning, when we checked out, there was a wonderful farmer's market less than a block away.

• Liked — Proximity to our friends and planned activities
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
San Francisco, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2008

I did not have an opportunity to stay at this motel, but definitely will when I next visit Modesto. I visited and inspected the site during a prior visit to Modesto and found the grounds and rooms appealing. I am from Modesto originally, so I also know the location is ideal.

I had planned to take my 90 year old parents to Modesto this weekend to attend a 90 yer old birthday party of a friend. However, my mother became ill the day we were leaving, forcing me to call this hotel and cancel our reservation on the same day we were to check in. The management was very understanding about this and cancelled our reservation without any expense to me.

Although I have not yet stayed at the motel, I definitely will when I next visit. Modesto. I thought prospective guest might be interested in hearing my experience, as I think it is indicative of quality and caring managment.

• Stayed July 2008
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Bend OR
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2007

This hotel is in a convenient location near downtown Modesto. The hotel is OK as are the rooms. Small room and bath with only a shower (no bath tub). Microwave and refrigerator in room and the bed was comfortable. The clientele is mostly blue collar and room parties can be bothersome on the weekends. An OK choice for the rate.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — noise
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Boulder, Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2007

The location in the central downtown area is optimal. You can walk to restaurants, movies, etc. Unlike the rest of Modesto which is a suburban sprawl. The place is currently under restoration, so there are a number of trailers in the parking lot.
My main complaint is lack of knowledgable staff. When I arrived, the clerk did not have my Expedia reservation. She was not helpful and I was on my own to call Expedia on my cell phone to confirm. The manager showed up and they found my reservation, but it was the wrong rate and rate room type (I needed two beds). They were full, so I ended up in their worst room which was smelly from 'de-smoking' it and had an unfinished wall. The next day, they had one of their new rooms available which was very nice and tastefully finished.
There are still some rough edges on the place, doors are difficult to unlock, A/C units are noisy and bath fans are old and very noisy. I would stay here again, because I like the location. Be sure to call the day before and confirm your reservation and request one of the new rooms.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — condition of hotel
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Vallejo, Ca
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2007

The card key to the first room wouldn't open. When I went to tell the front desk person, he said that sometimes housekeeping doesn't close the doors correctly, and I needed to pull the door handle towards me. I tried, and it didn't work. So, I went back to tell him and this time he came with me to open the door. He also couldn't do it, so he put me in another room. The toilet overflowed in this room after I used it, so I got moved to yet another room. Thankfully I hadn't unpacked the car yet. The room was adequate for the price, but I couldn't get the wifi service to work, even after calling tech support. Good news - the hotel is right across the street from the public library so I went there and used the internet so I could get my work done. The bed was comfortable, so I slept well. The office staff was very nice, too. I like that the hotel isn't by any major freeway so it's quiet. I may or may not stay here again, depending on what deals I can get at other hotels in the area. And, the fact that I couldn't access my work emails/internet from the room is a negative for me.

• Liked — It wasn't right on the freeway
  • Disliked — Couldn't get internet access
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to BEST WESTERN Town House Lodge? Share your experiences!