“Experience the Redwoods” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Miranda Gardens

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Miranda
Miranda Gardens
Save Saved
You added Miranda Gardens to your Saves list
6766 Avenue of the Giants, P.O. Box 186, Miranda, CA 95553   |
Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in Miranda
Monument, Colorado
“Experience the Redwoods”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

There are not a lot of choices along the Avenue of the Giants. Miranda Gardens is a GREAT choice to experience stereotypical redwood lodging. I have stayed in many different privately owned (non chain) motels in the redwoods and Miranda Gardens is on the upscale side of these type of properties.

This property is one of the original "motor lodge" locations that sprang up across America with the advent of the automobile. Originally each cabin had a covered car port type building for your vehicle, long gone with several renovations.

Each cabin/building is unique. Check out their web site and call for the different types of rooms available. Some have cooking facilities, some are a bedroom and bathroom.

They were so very helpful to me. I made the mistake of booking at the Motel Garberville because of price. Huge mistake! While eating the first evening in the redwoods at El Rio in Phillipsville I was talking with a young couple who were staying at Miranda Gardens and shared my experience, at which point they recommended Miranda Gardens. After my meal I hurried down the roadway to see if there was a vacancy for the next 3 nights.

They did not have a vacancy without me needing to change rooms each night, but offered to have the cleaning staff move my belongings if I would have them packed. They were sympathizing to my circumstances upon learning I was stuck in Garberville. So much so that they offered me Room 1, then 12, then back to Room 1 for the lower price of Room 1 for all three nights. Though Room 12 is a double room, each of the bedrooms is smaller and I preferred Room 1 after staying in each.

Some have mentioned that the furniture looks dated. Yes, it is. That is because the furnishings are antiques. That is the definition of antiques. If you don't appreciate the value of antiques keep in mind that much of America values them so highly that they are more costly than contemporary furniture.

The beds are NOT antique mattresses. They are well maintained and comfortable. The lobby with the continental breakfast is much more than you will receive for a continental breakfast at most hotels. Bagels, cereal, hard boiled eggs, muffins, yogurt, great coffee, fresh fruit, etc.

I am a light sleeper. Even though Room 1 faces the highway, there was not much highway noise, and what did exist was covered by the fan they provide. There is not air conditioning as this is an older facility, but the evenings are cool and if you keep the room closed during the day it will stay cool being totally shaded by the redwoods.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo

133 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013 via mobile

The receptionist was so nice here - we had to change our plans and she was so understanding and it was part of the outstanding customer service we had here.

Lovely pool, wonderful setting and good breakfast.

The only thing stopping it being one of the best hotels we stayed at was the smell in our cabin, it did not bother me but my wife said it was like a dead animal had got trapped somewhere.

That aside we would very highly recommend this beautiful hotel with the wonderful staff.

• Stayed August 2013
Salisbury, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

A small group of chalets, beautifully furnished and finished with local redwood, very clean and comfortable, well equipped throughout including kitchen. Breakfast is served - continental style, but no lunch or dinner, though that is available from the restaurant across the road or another 3 miles away. Service was friendly. 60 min free Wifi per day, otherwise you pay a nominal amount. We only stayed one night, but had lots of advice re where the best places were to visit along the Avenue of the Giants, and we had a very fun campfire in the evening. There is a shop next door and that does have all basic supplies, but, to be honest, it looks as though it's seen better days.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Bangkok, Thailand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

We stayed at Miranda Gardens for just one night, as we were passing through, but when we left the next morning we felt like staying another night. The staff there was so friendly and helpful- I have rarely encountered such genuine hospitality! The rooms were very clean and ours was equipped with all the regular hotel amenities. If we were going to come back to the area, we would not hesitate to book at Miranda Gardens!

Room Tip: Ask for options when you call... there are many different types of rooms!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Brisbane
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

My sister found and selected this gem based on TA reviews. She contacted the property directly and was exceedingly LUCKY to get us a last minute, one-night (cancellation) booking (in high season) all because I wanted to visit the giant sequoias. This location was a perfect staging point for us (after spending the night here) to spend the following day in the forest (+driving/stopping up and down the Avenue of the Giants). We arrived in the late afternoon and drove straight to the place based on directions. The cabins are nestled in the trees and there is an inviting swimming pool (but I resisted the temptation). Our "half" of one of the cabins (rms 12 & 13) comprised separate entries off a covered porch/deck where we each had a double bed room with a shared bathroom between us. There was a gazebo with table and seats in front of our cabin across the driveway/car park space. The decor was new and fresh in a 'rustic' theme and very clean throughout. Neither of us turned on the flat screen TVs in our rooms, nor hung anything up in the closet space (no need). After a lovely dinner in the (recommended) diner across the road, we turned in early and slept soundly. The continental breakfast provided in the tariff the following morning was fantastic (my sister said it was what she was expecting). I was overwhelmed by the selection/variety offered-cereals/muesli/oatmeal, fruit selection, toast/muffins/pastries/bagels, yoghurt/cream cheese/jams, tea & coffee varieties, margarine/butter/milk x2/half & half. There was a toaster, refrigerator and a microwave to use plus coffee urns x2 and hot water. After checking out, we set out on our journey/adventure replete and refreshed. Thoroughly recommend this spot - could easily return and spend time here communing with nature in comfort.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
San Francisco Bay Area
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

I was looking for a place to stay on the Avenue of the Giants and found this place online. It was last minute and looked ok on their web site so I took a chance. I have to say their web site does not do this place justice! Our cabin was great - immaculately clean and very comfortable and the vibe of this property is great! Nestled in towering redwoods, it looks like the kind of place that families come year after year! The staff is great and they serve an amazing continental breakfast! And the rates are extremely reasonable! Under $100 for a very nice cabin with AAA discount!

Room Tip: Room 2A is perfect for two if you don't need kitchen facilities.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Melbourne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

Our cabin had two bedrooms and a central bathroom.
It was very clean, there was parking at the door and the big trees on the property were lovely.
The bed was good and there was next to no noise during the night.
Dinner at the cafe over the road was excellent too!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Miranda Gardens? Share your experiences!