“Good diner food, fun ambiance, wait staff "can do"” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Late Night
Dayton, Nevada
“Good diner food, fun ambiance, wait staff "can do"”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2012

One in the Black Bear chain of diners. Nice faux lodge atmosphere. Cute gimmicky menu, with nice touches -- breakfast all day, etc. Portions are "gi-normous" -- but they have some smaller versions of their signature breakfast, lunch and dinner items. They also have vegetarian choices and healthy choices, too. This place won't break the bank -- helps in this economy. Good place to take the kids. I had a small problem with my order, and my waiter immediately recognized it and made it perfect -- that's why I give it a "very good".. Another reviewer commented that their pancakes were delivered "piping hot" -- and yup -- so were mine!

• Visited January 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

McKinney, Texas
“If this is home cooking I'm moving out”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2012

I've lived all but one year of my life in the midwest and south, and if there's one thing in this world I have an appreciation for is good home cookin.' And, brother, this ain't it. On the good side of the ledger, service was good, the place is clean and friendly, and the prices were favorable for this type of cuisine. As to the food, my mashed potatoes were good as was the brown gravy. However, the baked beans were like paste, the fried chicken batter was bland and the bird way overcooked (the latter may be the result of a bad night, though they were not overly busy), and the salad was of very low quality (and they don't provide crackers).
There are so many good places to eat, and good types of cuisine, available to diners in this area. I cannot think of a reason to recommend this place.

• Visited January 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Sunnyvale, California
“Great service, good food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

I've eaten at several of the Black Bear Diners over the years but their newest location in Milpitas is, by far, the best. Despite being a very busy Friday night we were seated immediately. A waitress was by our table to take our orders within a couple of minutes of sitting down. And we were served our food within 20 minutes of ordering. All of the staff was friendly and efficient. Anything that we needed, someone was there to bring it. I hope they can maintain this level of service after their grand opening period s over.

• Visited October 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
San Jose, California
“Popular down home eatery”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2011

I've never passed Black Bear Diner when there haven't been people lined up outside. To me, that says a lot about how popular this restaurant is. The decor is rustic cabin with original artwork on the walls, all about bears, of course. The wait staff is friendly, the prices are competitive and the servings are more than ample. Bring your appetite. The first time we dined there, everyone had a take-home bag, Breakfast is served all day. Meat lovers will enjoy the menu, and there are several vegetarian dishes from which to choose, too. In over 50 years of dining out, this is the first restaurant I've found that served pancakes piping hot...I mean melting-pat-of-butter hot! Each pancake was about 7" in diameter. My husband's vegetarian scramble was made with, easily, 6 eggs. Service wasn't as fast as I would have liked, but I attribute that to the amount of people inside. Perhaps a couple more wait staff should be added. Overall, our experience with Black Bear in Milpitas was quite enjoyable and fulfilling.

• Visited October 2011