“Okay, not great, not a typical Westin” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Millbrae
Aspen, Colorado
“Okay, not great, not a typical Westin”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

I stayed here when United messed up once again. The flight attendants from United cut the registration line despite some other customer complaints. The Westin staff seemed to be fairly chummy with the United staff and did not heed any of our protests to the line cutting. The pool was nice but no easy access except through the lobby. No free Wifi. Remodeling was going on and the hotel needed a lot more. It was a bit dated. There is a nice running path along the bay but it takes some route finding to follow it very far. Overall, it was an okay hotel but certainly not worth the price.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
TeamSFO, Manager at The Westin San Francisco Airport, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Greetings Mark G,

Thank you for your message. As you have mentioned, we are currently in the process of transforming our bar and restaurant, due to open late December 2012. We have also begun the process of renovating our public areas and guest rooms, such as new lobby area carpeting, scheduled registration/front desk transformation, completed next-generation Heavenly shower-head installation, and a planned guest rooms transformation in the near future. I am glad to hear that you were able to enjoy the local running path. We hope to see you during your next visit to the Bay Area.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
Hartsville, SC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

The service at this hotel was one of the highest levels that I have received. I can only say good things about the staff at the hotel. From the moment that I arrived, I was professionally greeted by the staff and that level of courtesy and professionalism did not stop for the two night visit.

My wife and I were in San Francisco for a birthday weekend. We would definitely return to this hotel again.

The property itself is starting to show some age. The rooms were very clean with new linens, new bathroom fixtures and great in-room entertainment. I noticed that the carpet appeared to be a little bit aged and the hallways seemed very dark.

Room Tip: Some rooms do not have a mini bar or refrigerator. You will need to ask if you want one.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
TeamSFO, Manager at The Westin San Francisco Airport, responded to this review, November 23, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel! We thrive to provide our guests with a rejuvenating escape to give you the ultimate heavenly experience! I'm delighted to let you know we have plans in the near future to transform our guest floors!
Bowie, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

I chose this hotel because it was near the airport, and I had an early flight. I also chose this hotel because of the name brand: Westin. But it wasn't nearly as nice as the Westin hotels I've stayed in the past. It wasn't any more nice than a Holiday Inn Express, with regard to the amenities. I'm sort of glad that this was a business related stay, because I would be a little more disappointed had I paid my own money. I would stay here again for the location convenience, but if I was paying my own money, I would pick a less expensive property just as close to the airport.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Madrid, Spain
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

If you have to over night, this hotel is an ok place to stay. The reception & lobby are fine, but the doors to each room need to be fixed. They continually slam, while the rooms are just not up to par with other Westins...

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Denver, Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

Gold member upon check in. Gold members are offered a welcome gift with each stay. This includes a choice of free Wifi, points, or a drink. Source: https://www.starwoodhotels.com/preferredguest/account/member_benefits/gold_preferred.html
Front desk attendant said that my Starwood number was on file, but made no other reference to the different tiers. When I arrived at my room, I called the operator and double checked about a welcome gift which would include free wifi. Operator said that this option is not available for Gold members. When I arrived home, I called Starwood's main number and they informed me that Gold status should be recognized not by per property but based on per stay.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
San Francisco, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

This hotel is conveniently located near the airport, with many others. This review is predicated upon the fact that there are several options and choices; and this is not one of the best.
A much too long wait at check in on a Tuesday afternoon, this is not acceptable at an airport catering mainly to travelers who are anxious to check in or to check out. Only one very SLOW clerk on hand.
Rooms are nothing special. Standard fare.
Indoor pool; the weather at the airport in San Francisco is actually pleasant and an outdoor pool is practical.
Paid parking
And my pet peeve, pay to use and outdated wi fi!.
When all is said and done you are paying $300 for a mediocre room, PLUS $20 for parking and another $14 for pour wi fi. You can do better.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Bethesda, Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

I stayed at this property on a one-night layover enroute from Hawaii to DC. After reading the reviews before my trip, I was very tempted to change my reservation. But it's a Westin, I thought, can it really be that bad? Oh, but it was. First of all, I waited about 15 minutes at the hotel shuttle stop before calling. The desk clerk who answered was very hard to understand, but seemed to say the shuttle should be there any minute. I waited yet another 15 minutes, watching other hotels' shuttles pass 2 or 3 times each. Finally the shuttle appeared, but it was packed (no wonder, given how infrequently it seems to circulate) and the driver was uniquely unhelpful. People were left to struggle with their own luggage as best they could.

We got to the property, only to find a long line to check in and only 2 staff on duty. Suddenly another one appeared, but he was only there to help the airline crew members (all of whom were behind me in line but were served first - hey, I was tired too!). After about a 10-minute wait, I got my room key and headed off through the dimly lit lobby, past the restaurant (closed and under renovation) to try to find the elevators.

Getting off on the 7th floor, I was immediately creeped out. The corridor was even more dimly lit than the lobby, but the battered and grim appearance of the walls and room doors was evident. I actually felt it was unsafe up there so I hurried to my room. What a depressing aspect it presented: a thick layer of dust on the dresser/TV stand, scuffed walls, deep gouges in the wooden headboard, stained chair and ottoman, moldy grout and dirty walls in the tub. And then I noticed the distinctly annoying sound of water trickling somewhere. It was the toilet, obviously with a serious internal leak. This was the first time in many a year that I actually thought about going back to the lobby and requesting a different hotel room, but frankly I was afraid to brave the dark and empty corridors again!

Maybe it says more about me than the toilet, but my solution was to fix it myself. After jiggling the handle had no effect, I lifted the lid and despite the horrifying spectacle revealed plunged my hand into the water, readjusted the flapper, and stopped the leak. I wouldn't expect to have to deal with this at a two-star property, let alone a Westin. If I hadn't been so exhausted (by now it was nearly 10 PM) I would have left. On the positive side, the bed was comfortable and the overpriced room service chicken sandwich and fries were delivered promptly and eaten after I thoroughly disinfected my hands. (By the way, be careful - the hot water heater seems to be set at or beyond the boiling point!)

Because the restaurant was closed, breakfast was being served in the ballroom. I decided not to try it, as by that point I had given the hotel of my money more than it deserved, so I just checked out. The clerk on duty didn't ask how my stay was, and I suppose that's good, as describing all the problems might have made me miss my flight. Except for the night shuttle driver, the staff were all pleasant and professional, and I feel kind of sorry that they have to work in this dump. I love Westins and Starwood properties in general, but this one is unworthy of the brand and in desperate need of renovation or at least a thorough cleaning!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo

Been to The Westin San Francisco Airport? Share your experiences!