“Good location” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 7 hotels in Millbrae
Scottsdale
“Good location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

If you have to over night, this hotel is an ok place to stay. The reception & lobby are fine, but the doors to each room need to be fixed. They continually slam, while the rooms are just not up to par with other Westins...

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

507 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Denver, Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

Gold member upon check in. Gold members are offered a welcome gift with each stay. This includes a choice of free Wifi, points, or a drink. Source: https://www.starwoodhotels.com/preferredguest/account/member_benefits/gold_preferred.html
Front desk attendant said that my Starwood number was on file, but made no other reference to the different tiers. When I arrived at my room, I called the operator and double checked about a welcome gift which would include free wifi. Operator said that this option is not available for Gold members. When I arrived home, I called Starwood's main number and they informed me that Gold status should be recognized not by per property but based on per stay.

San Francisco, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

This hotel is conveniently located near the airport, with many others. This review is predicated upon the fact that there are several options and choices; and this is not one of the best.
A much too long wait at check in on a Tuesday afternoon, this is not acceptable at an airport catering mainly to travelers who are anxious to check in or to check out. Only one very SLOW clerk on hand.
Rooms are nothing special. Standard fare.
Indoor pool; the weather at the airport in San Francisco is actually pleasant and an outdoor pool is practical.
Paid parking
And my pet peeve, pay to use and outdated wi fi!.
When all is said and done you are paying $300 for a mediocre room, PLUS $20 for parking and another $14 for pour wi fi. You can do better.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Bethesda, Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

I stayed at this property on a one-night layover enroute from Hawaii to DC. After reading the reviews before my trip, I was very tempted to change my reservation. But it's a Westin, I thought, can it really be that bad? Oh, but it was. First of all, I waited about 15 minutes at the hotel shuttle stop before calling. The desk clerk who answered was very hard to understand, but seemed to say the shuttle should be there any minute. I waited yet another 15 minutes, watching other hotels' shuttles pass 2 or 3 times each. Finally the shuttle appeared, but it was packed (no wonder, given how infrequently it seems to circulate) and the driver was uniquely unhelpful. People were left to struggle with their own luggage as best they could.

We got to the property, only to find a long line to check in and only 2 staff on duty. Suddenly another one appeared, but he was only there to help the airline crew members (all of whom were behind me in line but were served first - hey, I was tired too!). After about a 10-minute wait, I got my room key and headed off through the dimly lit lobby, past the restaurant (closed and under renovation) to try to find the elevators.

Getting off on the 7th floor, I was immediately creeped out. The corridor was even more dimly lit than the lobby, but the battered and grim appearance of the walls and room doors was evident. I actually felt it was unsafe up there so I hurried to my room. What a depressing aspect it presented: a thick layer of dust on the dresser/TV stand, scuffed walls, deep gouges in the wooden headboard, stained chair and ottoman, moldy grout and dirty walls in the tub. And then I noticed the distinctly annoying sound of water trickling somewhere. It was the toilet, obviously with a serious internal leak. This was the first time in many a year that I actually thought about going back to the lobby and requesting a different hotel room, but frankly I was afraid to brave the dark and empty corridors again!

Maybe it says more about me than the toilet, but my solution was to fix it myself. After jiggling the handle had no effect, I lifted the lid and despite the horrifying spectacle revealed plunged my hand into the water, readjusted the flapper, and stopped the leak. I wouldn't expect to have to deal with this at a two-star property, let alone a Westin. If I hadn't been so exhausted (by now it was nearly 10 PM) I would have left. On the positive side, the bed was comfortable and the overpriced room service chicken sandwich and fries were delivered promptly and eaten after I thoroughly disinfected my hands. (By the way, be careful - the hot water heater seems to be set at or beyond the boiling point!)

Because the restaurant was closed, breakfast was being served in the ballroom. I decided not to try it, as by that point I had given the hotel of my money more than it deserved, so I just checked out. The clerk on duty didn't ask how my stay was, and I suppose that's good, as describing all the problems might have made me miss my flight. Except for the night shuttle driver, the staff were all pleasant and professional, and I feel kind of sorry that they have to work in this dump. I love Westins and Starwood properties in general, but this one is unworthy of the brand and in desperate need of renovation or at least a thorough cleaning!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Petaluma, California, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

The Westin San Francisco Airport is a wonderful place to stay. Attentive customer service and felt very welcomed.

My family loves the indoor pool and room service. The beds and bedding were comfortable and clean.

Room Tip: Upgrade to the Bay view. Kids loved watching the big planes take off and land. Not too loud either...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Excelsior, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Solid Westin Hotel, situated very close to the SFO airport. Strikes me as a business travelers airport because a car is necessary for any nearby sights. The buffet breakfast will set you back $20 per person. Seems to be a competition with Marriott for luxury bedding and rain showers. The result is that a low-ceiling shower now also has a rain shower head. If you're taller than 5'8" - not a great feature.

Room Tip: All the rooms seem similar - have stayed in several. Haven't had any issues with airport or ele...
Onalaska, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

Older airport hotel
Decent hotel to stop during travel but not world class.
Price was expensive, rooms are clean and fine.
Look for higher rated hotels but good location.
Breakfast was quite good.
Nothing more to say

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Been to The Westin San Francisco Airport? Share your experiences!