“Very Rude!” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Mill Creek B&B and Inns
Petaluma
“Very Rude!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

The owner was extremely rude when we asked if our room was ready to check-in a bit early since we had to go to a wedding and was told that we could use it to change our clothes but she was NOT going to vacuum around our luggage. We waited to check-in later as we had a wedding to attend to and then received the horrible news of my husband's mother passing away and had to cancel our reservation. We were told that we would only be charged a $20.00 fee. Then on our credit card statement it appeared a $99.00 charge. What a shock! My husband left a voicemail to the owner about the charge that was never returned. Instead I received an email requesting I produce a Death Certificate to receive the refund. This is an unacceptable way to treat guests or potential guests. Amazing!!!! I don't understand how this lodge can stay in business. We will spread the word. I do not recommend!

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
BernardChester, Owner at St. Bernard Lodge, responded to this review, October 1, 2012
Your booking was made on August 13th for August 25th. You made a request for early check-in via internet at time of booking. You where called and a message left asking you to please call the lodge regarding an early check-in. The reason for the call was to determine how early and what you needed with an early check-in. Neither you or your husband returned the call. The message also stated that we could not guarantee an early check-in.

We were booked full August 24th. As soon as I was done serving breakfast on the morning of the 25th I started with the room you had reserved for the 25th. I was cleaning the room when your husband arrived early, 10:50 am., to check-in. Our scheduled check-out time is not until 11:00 am. He was informed that I could have the room ready in 10 minutes. He wanted the room immediately as you needed to change for a noon wedding. I gave him the choice of taking the room as is or waiting until it was finished, apparently this was not acceptable and he left.

Your husband called around 2:15 pm and told me he just got news that his mother passed away. He sounded truly upset. I did tell him that I would have to charge a minimum of 20.00 dollars. He said no problem he was leaving immediately because of his mother's death. I felt like a heel asking for 20.00 dollars under the stated circumstances. I felt sorry that his daughter's wedding day would be ruined by the death of her grandmother. I also remember exactly where I was almost 30 years ago when I received the phone call of my sister's death and then again 9 months later of my brother's death.

After the phone call I was given information that your mother in-law passed away July 28th in her home in Petaluma. I could not believe that someone would lie about their mother's death. Your husband's phone call brought back the pain of the two phone calls regarding the death of both my sister and brother. I had made a special exception to room charges based on information he gave me. Once I found out his stated reason for not staying was not true I charged your card as per out printed cancellation policy.

I could not bring myself to return your husband's phone call when I felt he had lied to me. I was hoping my information was wrong and sent you an e-mail requesting the death certificate so I could credit your account. Instead I received an outraged e-mail stating that there was no way you would provide a death certificate and that you would let all family and friends know not to stay with us.

Our business has grown and we have many returning guests. For it to work for us and our guests honesty on both sides is very important. Once again if the information published in the Petaluma Argus Courier between August 2 and Sept. 1 as to the date of your mother in law's death is incorrect please let us know and we will credit your charge.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Rugby
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

At time of booking I wasn't aware the bathrooms were shared. We travel in the states a lot and usually avoid B&Bs as I don't like the feeling of staying in someone's house. This experience however was not at all like that. The lodge is quirky, the host really friendly, and the food is the best we have had in the 10 years we have been visiting. We had pork steaks which were amazing and the breakfast was excellent too. There is an amazing hot tub out back and each room has towels and robes if you want to use it. The host recommended places to visit for our onward trip and gave us some maps of the area.

We were not made aware of any rules or told to be quite. The walls do allow noise to travel but only really experienced noise from people moving around in next room as floorboards creaked. Our room was on back so can't comment on road noise but road didn't appear too busy, we were next to bathroom though and this didn't disturb us at all.

Overall fantastic stay would definitely recommend and would return.

Room Tip: We stayed in the woodland room and had no problem with noise
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
San Jose, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

We had planned to stay there for 2 nights but ran away after 1 night because of the overall stress associated with living in a lodge where we were warned about speaking too loudly, ordering extra food and having to share bathrooms with total strangers ( which was never made clear at the time of booking or on their website). I had this feeling that I had gone back to a boarding school where I would get reprimanded if I made one wrong move.
The folks running this place were extremely rude and for the price I paid for the my rooms it was a sheer waste of good money. The town of Chester nearby offers much better options and hopefully folks running the place at least bother to greet you when you arrive rather than give you a look like you are trespassing.
One last thing, if you are traveling with kids, avoid this place at any cost unless you plan on telling them to sit in a corner and read a book all day.

Room Tip: the walls between the rooms are like paper and each time someone hits the shared bathroom you will w...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
We are sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us. The following is a description of our rooms taken from our website.

All rooms are country casual style, and each room has its own theme and color scheme, private sink, dresser and armoire. Victorian and historical prints, brass beds, floral print bed spreads, lace curtains, antique furniture and rocking chairs are some of the amenities that add to the whimsical charm of the St. Bernard Lodge. Bath robes and slippers, as well as luxurious bath towels, are provided four your comfort and are especially useful when you visit our outdoor hot tub. The shared bathrooms are located at each end of the hallway, one with a newly remodeled shower, and the other with an antique claw foot tub.

We will make sure in the future to add a special note under terms and policies that all rooms are upstairs and have shared bathrooms. This is part of the historical aspect of the lodge, we do not want anyone staying with us that has an aversion to the shared bathroom situation.

Yes, noise does travel in this building. We have taken steps to minimize noise by adding blown-in insulation between the walls and adding new carpeting in the hall ways.
In part because of the shared bathrooms and noise factor we request not to have children under the age of two and have rooms with a maximum of 2 or 4 guests depending on the layout of the room.
Unfortunately your group arrived with 2 extra children and at least one of the children under the age of 2. Your group booked individually and each of you received two e-mails reminding you that we did not want children under two and that rooms had a maximum number of guests allowed not to exceed 4.
We broke our policy and allowed your group to stay even though you were exceeding the maximum number of guests and had very young children. We did this, knowing that you would not find any other rooms over Labor Day weekend. At the time of check-in we asked that you ask the children to keep voices down and not to run in the hallway or up and down the stairs. From past experience we have found that children love to run in the hallway and on the stairs.

We offer a complimentary breakfast with your stay. Most guests comment on how large and wonderful breakfast is. Very few guests finish the whole breakfast. When guests have not experienced our breakfast, and are ordering for children, our staff will make recommendations. Most guests appreciate this service.

We may not be the best location to stay when you have as many young children as your group unless you make arrangements to rent the entire lodge. For an additional 93.50 you could have rented the entire upstairs.

Many children and families do enjoy the lodge and we do have games specifically for children. We do not expect them to sit in a corner reading, however we do expect them to behave.

Once again we apologize that your stay was not enjoyable. You did not leave until after 5 pm the second night stating you had a family emergency. We offered to let the others in your group use your room for additional space and the remainder of your group declined.
Ann Arbor, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

My wife and I stayed at this B&B for two nights in July and I would recommend to other travelers. The best part was the breakfast, they will give you a menu and you can select from a wide selection. We didn’t need to eat lunch and only snacked during the day. Other positives, they have wine and snacks from 4-5pm for their guests (excellent onion rings). The place is full of history, beds were comfortable. Our room was on the back side away from the road and we didn’t really hear the cars going by. Areas that could use improvement: 1) The hosts never introduced themselves, they were very nice and we talked with them for a while but they never told us their names. 2) Walls are paper thin; if you’re a light sleeper you’ll need earplugs (like me). 3) You’ll need to share a bathroom which isn’t a big deal for me; there were two bathrooms for 7 rooms. Our room was next to the bathroom and you could hear people going in and out early in the morning. 4) The grounds outside looked somewhat neglected, there was a hot tub we used but I wondering the last time the water was changed. They do run a restaurant for the guests but we did not eat there and elected to drive 10 miles to the nearest town to have more choices of food. This B&B is about ½ hour to the National Park. Recommendation at the NP, at the visitor center, after a long day of hiking, stop in for a German beer and sit on the outside patio and enjoy the views!

Room Tip: If your're a light sleeper, ask the host to help you select a room. Rooms on the front side hav...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

My husband and I were lucky to stay at the St. Bernard Lodge. We had made reservations through expedia, but when we arrived we learned that the reservation wasn't valid as the owners had discontinued their business right before our reservations were made. This freaked me out as when we walked in there was a no vacancy sign. Sharon was very helpful in getting us through to expedia and getting us a refund and then giving us a room (lucky ducks). Our room was rustic and cozy, super clean; which of course is a must. Breakfast here is included and amazing! Maybe some of the best pancakes I've ever had. Although there were only communal bathrooms we never once had to wait and they were clean. Sharon was also very helpful giving us tips on what to see, even as we left for Tahoe she gave us some great recommedations! Overall our experience was a great one.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Dallas, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2012

We stayed a night at the St. Bernard B&B on our way from the Redwoods to Yosemite and found it to be a most delightful place. It is a historic place and has much character in the St. Bernard themed decorations in the restaurant and bar. The rooms are small and you share a bath at the end of the hall, but the price was reasonable and the rooms were clean and the bed comfortable. The breakfast was outstanding and more than filling. The innkeeper was delightful and went out of her way to help us plan our traveling route for the day. She clearly enjoys helping guests maximize their experience in the Lassen area.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
San Anselmo, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2011

My Mom and I stayed here for the night before we hiked Mt Lassen and enjoyed it.
The rooms are large and comfortable and the owners were quite hospitable.

Keep in mind that is not a luxury setting though and in fact feels quite rustic. Which is appropriate for the area.

We did not have any road noise and I am quite sensitive to that when I am traveling.

Stayed May 2011, traveled with family

Been to St. Bernard Lodge? Share your experiences!